New sports kit list

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: New sports kit list

Post by J.R. »

A true Scots sports person doesn't have ANYTHING beneath !

(You take the high road, and I'll take......)
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

That's what I thought :D
lonelymom :rolleyes:
Jade
3rd Former

Post by Jade »

Does anyone know if we will get the blue sports socks before school starts? I'm dreading having to sew on the name labels on the black ones, just to receive the blue ones the next day. Also the tracksuit trousers i've odered are about a foot too long on the leg, i'm not sure what to do about it? I've thought about having them taken up, but I think the zips on the bottom may prevent me from doing that.
Jade
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

No, we won't be getting the blue socks before term starts. I spoke to Thriftymatron a couple of weeks ago and she told me the blue socks will be waiting in your child's house (or perhaps with the houseparent) when you drop him/her off, and you will be able to take them home with you. Your child will therefore wear the black ones for the first 3 weeks and the blue ones thereafter.

As for the trackie bottoms, I thought the sports list info gave inside leg measurements? I may have remembered that wrong, but I seem to remember having to order a size up for my skinny but long-legged daughters so that they would be long enough? If so, have you checked that you got the right size, ie the size you ordered?
Jade
3rd Former

Post by Jade »

lonelymom wrote:As for the trackie bottoms, I thought the sports list info gave inside leg measurements? I may have remembered that wrong, but I seem to remember having to order a size up for my skinny but long-legged daughters so that they would be long enough? If so, have you checked that you got the right size, ie the size you ordered?
They are the size I ordered, but I was a bit optimistic about how much he would grow over the summer. :oops:
Jade
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

Oh, I see. It was a huge target for him then, to grow a foot during the summer :lol: But you can bet that if you take them up now he'll grow that foot in the first 3 weeks of term and they'll be too short again! :lol:
huggermugger
Deputy Grecian

Post by huggermugger »

I'm feeling a bit lucky - I've managed to get away with buying almost nothing for this year - DS needed a new pair of football boots but we were given some by a friend which don't have too much wear on them. He would really like a new pair but as I don't work a lot in the holidays so that we can spend a fair bit of time together I am rather short of cash so he has agreed to have them at least for the first term... well done that boy.

But at least part of the reason is that I bought everything in fairly large sizes so as far as I'm concerned, that was a good move. :D
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

I find this Topic fascinating --- but confusing !

I think JR will agree, that we didn't have to buy anything, House Colours and School Colours were presented. and for PT (PE to you) pretty well anything went, as for "Runs" and work on the School "Farm" (Does that still exist, for Anti- Sport Pupils ?)
onewestguncopse
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by onewestguncopse »

The school farm closed in the 80s. It is now a very expensive over 50's housing estate. All the old farm worker houses are now privately owned houses.
ailurophile
Deputy Grecian

Post by ailurophile »

Jade wrote
Does anyone know if we will get the blue sports socks before school starts? I'm dreading having to sew on the name labels on the black ones, just to receive the blue ones the next day. Also the tracksuit trousers i've odered are about a foot too long on the leg, i'm not sure what to do about it? I've thought about having them taken up, but I think the zips on the bottom may prevent me from doing that.
I found myself rushing out at the eleventh hour yesterday (this happens every year, I ought to have learned by now) trying to replace bits of outgrown sports kit for DS, who appears to have shot up by about six inches during the holidays. Fortunately there's a 'cheap' sports shop in our town which sells plain navy tracksuit bottoms for about £6 - is there anywhere similar near you Jade? Trackie bottoms don't have to be the official ones, and we always find it useful to have a couple of spare pairs.

Re sock labelling, I've spent hours over the years slaving away sewing name tapes vertically on to socks as instructed, the most fiddly job in the universe bar none!! Only recently another parent told me that their matron advises simply folding the tape in half and sewing the end to the top edge of the sock - it ends up as a loop, make sure the house number is on the side that shows. I wish someone had told me this in 2005...
ReallyMissingHer
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by ReallyMissingHer »

ailurophile :evil: why didn't you tell me sooner, I do this with as much clothing as possible but didn't think it was "allowed" with the sport socks :evil:
YadaYada
Deputy Grecian

Post by YadaYada »

When my blood blisters from naming fade......I will appreciate this tip for next year. For now all I feel is Grrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!
ReallyMissingHer
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by ReallyMissingHer »

Although I keep labelling countless civies believe me it's never as bad again as before they go for the first time :lol:
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

Isn't that what thimbles are for? :?: :lol:
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

Isn't that what mother-in-laws are for? :lol: