Housey Slang.....

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Re: Housey Slang.....

Post by michael scuffil » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:17 pm

CHAZ wrote:I have written about it here before but school monitors and the Sg used to get a small amount of cash from the school (beer money!9 called Q shott...I guess this may disappear too?

It was quite a good "small amount". It was four times what I paid my swab.
Th.B. 27 1955-63

Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:04 pm

michael scuffil wrote:
Great Plum wrote:what about the word 'toyce'?

Came from Winchester, was introduced in 1964 with the first great wave of modernization.

I remember in 1963, when Seaman was outlining the plans, he mentioned these things. He said: "At Winchester they call them "toyces". Perhaps we should do the same."
I should think it is a word long gone now with the cabin bunks most people sleep in... Maine B had toyces designed by
Mr Grimshaw who was Plum Senior's predecessor in MaB...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99

wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Post by wurzel » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:57 pm

Sillett did the same in LHB, they were built in the summer of 83 just in time for my LE and were basically a zig zag of vertical wooden panels sat on the big tables so if viewed from above they would have looked like a square sin wave. Each LE had a recess with 2 shelves and a flat vertical panel they could stick things on. 2nd & 3rd form still used flat tables and a locker, UF jnr monitors were in the end of the brew room and the quiet room with curtains hanging up to give the impression of privacy. House captain had a dayroom study alcove at the front of the house.

LongGone
Deputy Grecian

Post by LongGone » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:33 pm

wurzel wrote:Sillett did the same in LHB, they were built in the summer of 83 just in time for my LE and were basically a zig zag of vertical wooden panels sat on the big tables so if viewed from above they would have looked like a square sin wave. Each LE had a recess with 2 shelves and a flat vertical panel they could stick things on. 2nd & 3rd form still used flat tables and a locker, UF jnr monitors were in the end of the brew room and the quiet room with curtains hanging up to give the impression of privacy. House captain had a dayroom study alcove at the front of the house.
Two of us built an identical type of arrangement for Maine A back in the 50s, using our time at the woodworking shop. Since we only built the one, it travelled from table to table with us as we became more senior
If a stone falls on an egg: alas for the egg
If an egg falls on a stone: alas for the egg

jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:20 pm

wurzel wrote:Sillett did the same in LHB, they were built in the summer of 83 just in time for my LE and were basically a zig zag of vertical wooden panels sat on the big tables so if viewed from above they would have looked like a square sin wave. Each LE had a recess with 2 shelves and a flat vertical panel they could stick things on. 2nd & 3rd form still used flat tables and a locker, UF jnr monitors were in the end of the brew room and the quiet room with curtains hanging up to give the impression of privacy. House captain had a dayroom study alcove at the front of the house.
Exactly what we had in Barnes B, even when I got there in 1959. Sillet must have got his idea from us. They were only used on the top table, for those just below House Monitor level. The rest of us just had the long tables, the middle one being used for ping pong, when we could.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:35 pm

Yes, that was exactly the same arrangement in my time, only the top side of the top table, had their books on it.
Ping pong on those long tables made for wonderful "Smashes" but very poor direection !

andrewcottingham
2nd Former

Post by andrewcottingham » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:39 am

Land, Sea and Air comes to mind for passing ADB down the table – Land was the "A Decent bit of Bread" bread slice rubbed along the table, Sea was being passed and dipped in every kiff bowl as it came down and finally Air meant the bread slice was thrown in the general direction of the requestor

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:04 am

Bread slices, were only "Ordered" by Monitors, and were specified as (eg) "Two 3/8 inch".
The task of producing these was carried out by the most junior boys, sitting at the bottom end of the table -- next to the cross table, where the bread was situated ---- loaves sliced lenghways, placed face down.
Non-Monitors, had to come down and cut their own --- anybody who couldn't cut straight, was unpopular !

I still feel this way today !!! :axe:

cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:25 pm

With regards to toyces, I have just googled the word and was suprised to see that it is used as a Christian/given name. There is a La Toyce Lee (f) and a Toyce Le Grange (m) both registered on Facebook. (Now going to look for Lav-End Lestrange and Bocker Batty.)
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.

dinahcat
Deputy Grecian

Post by dinahcat » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:46 pm

Lol ..as the young people say. ..!
Squit the Younger ? Oh dear..That is really poor but I see pages of Housey slang puns ahead of us.

Westondonkey
2nd Former

Post by Westondonkey » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:34 pm

You have heard it all before

Crug-Bread
Kiph-Tea
Flab-Margarine
Muck-Jam
Podge-Porridge
Cheese-National Carbolic soap
Toenail Slush-Italian mince.
Bonfasts- These probably got C.H. the well deserved mention in the ' Encyclopaedia Of Human Cruelty' if your house number was say 15 everybody in the house was entitled to give you 15 slaps on the back. It had been known for people to use cricket stumps. They were outlawed the year before I arrived, but they happened occasionally. There is a strong rumour that an old Blue wrote the training handbook for the Gestapo.

warne011
2nd Former

Post by warne011 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:00 am

What I can think of:
We still do trades in house
People use the word buff for fit/attractive
Of course squits has survived
Quiz and ego
We do use the term lav ends!
Moist-immature
Bait-obvious
That's it really.
Ellen
BAA
Current pupil

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:07 pm

Nice to see some of the old one still survive.

One or two of the above are new to mr, though.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.

Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:39 pm

For some unknown reason the word 'drut' recently came into my head so I thought I should post while I remembered!

Whether it was a word peculiar to Maine A in the mid sixties or a more general term of CH slang I don't recall at this distance.

It was a derisory term for somebody considered wet and pathetic who needed to 'man up' to use the modern vernacular.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:42 pm

Mid A 15 wrote:
Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:39 pm
For some unknown reason the word 'drut' recently came into my head so I thought I should post while I remembered!

Whether it was a word peculiar to Maine A in the mid sixties or a more general term of CH slang I don't recall at this distance.

It was a derisory term for somebody considered wet and pathetic who needed to 'man up' to use the modern vernacular.
I certainly don't remember this one, so must be Maine A.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.