Housey Slang.....

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

jhopgood
Button Grecian

Re: Housey Slang.....

Post by jhopgood »

I always thought that "fotched" was a rap on the head with the knuckle of the middle finger.
I forget who it was but he had a long reach and could get you from a sitting position at the bottom of the table in Dining Hall.
In Barnes B, if memory serves me, the House captain and 2 house monitors sat at the top of the table and the rest of the house monitors at the bottom, one or maybe two of whom served the food.
The same monitor who "fotched" me also split a plate with a serving spoon when he brought it down too hard when serving something.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

For Yadayada
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

For Yadayada, just to bring it to the top
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
onewestguncopse
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by onewestguncopse »

As indicated in my other post, most Housey slang has now gone. Bockers (gone), Lav Ends (going as Lav Ends do not exist anymore), Kiff (never used in my time) ... i really cannot think of any word that is Housey only anymore other than words such as Housey, Broady, Rolls...ermmm!
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Some houses still have lav ends don't they though? (The houses that were 'partially' refurbed?)

what about the word 'toyce'?
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

Great Plum wrote:what about the word 'toyce'?

Came from Winchester, was introduced in 1964 with the first great wave of modernization.

I remember in 1963, when Seaman was outlining the plans, he mentioned these things. He said: "At Winchester they call them "toyces". Perhaps we should do the same."
Th.B. 27 1955-63
CHAZ
Grecian

Post by CHAZ »

I have written about it here before but school monitors and the Sg used to get a small amount of cash from the school (beer money!9 called Q shott...I guess this may disappear too?
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

CHAZ wrote:I have written about it here before but school monitors and the Sg used to get a small amount of cash from the school (beer money!9 called Q shott...I guess this may disappear too?

It was quite a good "small amount". It was four times what I paid my swab.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

michael scuffil wrote:
Great Plum wrote:what about the word 'toyce'?

Came from Winchester, was introduced in 1964 with the first great wave of modernization.

I remember in 1963, when Seaman was outlining the plans, he mentioned these things. He said: "At Winchester they call them "toyces". Perhaps we should do the same."
I should think it is a word long gone now with the cabin bunks most people sleep in... Maine B had toyces designed by
Mr Grimshaw who was Plum Senior's predecessor in MaB...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Post by wurzel »

Sillett did the same in LHB, they were built in the summer of 83 just in time for my LE and were basically a zig zag of vertical wooden panels sat on the big tables so if viewed from above they would have looked like a square sin wave. Each LE had a recess with 2 shelves and a flat vertical panel they could stick things on. 2nd & 3rd form still used flat tables and a locker, UF jnr monitors were in the end of the brew room and the quiet room with curtains hanging up to give the impression of privacy. House captain had a dayroom study alcove at the front of the house.
LongGone
Deputy Grecian

Post by LongGone »

wurzel wrote:Sillett did the same in LHB, they were built in the summer of 83 just in time for my LE and were basically a zig zag of vertical wooden panels sat on the big tables so if viewed from above they would have looked like a square sin wave. Each LE had a recess with 2 shelves and a flat vertical panel they could stick things on. 2nd & 3rd form still used flat tables and a locker, UF jnr monitors were in the end of the brew room and the quiet room with curtains hanging up to give the impression of privacy. House captain had a dayroom study alcove at the front of the house.
Two of us built an identical type of arrangement for Maine A back in the 50s, using our time at the woodworking shop. Since we only built the one, it travelled from table to table with us as we became more senior
If a stone falls on an egg: alas for the egg
If an egg falls on a stone: alas for the egg
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

wurzel wrote:Sillett did the same in LHB, they were built in the summer of 83 just in time for my LE and were basically a zig zag of vertical wooden panels sat on the big tables so if viewed from above they would have looked like a square sin wave. Each LE had a recess with 2 shelves and a flat vertical panel they could stick things on. 2nd & 3rd form still used flat tables and a locker, UF jnr monitors were in the end of the brew room and the quiet room with curtains hanging up to give the impression of privacy. House captain had a dayroom study alcove at the front of the house.
Exactly what we had in Barnes B, even when I got there in 1959. Sillet must have got his idea from us. They were only used on the top table, for those just below House Monitor level. The rest of us just had the long tables, the middle one being used for ping pong, when we could.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Yes, that was exactly the same arrangement in my time, only the top side of the top table, had their books on it.
Ping pong on those long tables made for wonderful "Smashes" but very poor direection !
andrewcottingham
2nd Former

Post by andrewcottingham »

Land, Sea and Air comes to mind for passing ADB down the table – Land was the "A Decent bit of Bread" bread slice rubbed along the table, Sea was being passed and dipped in every kiff bowl as it came down and finally Air meant the bread slice was thrown in the general direction of the requestor
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Bread slices, were only "Ordered" by Monitors, and were specified as (eg) "Two 3/8 inch".
The task of producing these was carried out by the most junior boys, sitting at the bottom end of the table -- next to the cross table, where the bread was situated ---- loaves sliced lenghways, placed face down.
Non-Monitors, had to come down and cut their own --- anybody who couldn't cut straight, was unpopular !

I still feel this way today !!! :axe: