St.George's Day

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

J.R. wrote:
Hendrik wrote:
when does Tony ever tell us to be ashamed of Britain? he's one of the biggest flag-wavers of them all!

i posted what i posted because i thought J.R.s post was a bit thoughtless and not very nice.
I'm sorry if you thought my post a bit thoughtless

We will have to accept that the great difference in our ages must account for it.

Tone Bliar is NOT a flag waver, when seeing that he is far more right-wing than Sir Winston Churchill, perhaps he should be.

I happen to think that powers that be that ban Christmas decorations because it might upset the..............................

and

Not being allowed to fly the flag of St George from your house because it might upset the..............................

and

Restricting exactly how much CofE religion is actually taught in schools because it might upset the..............................

is also THOUGHTLESS, and, if I might say so, downright anti-nationalistic.

Check out the numbers of convictions and prison sentences issued to so called asylum seekers, (ho-ho-ho), over the last five years, AND for what crimes, then tell me I'm being thoughtless.

......... and while we are on the subject of living in a decent country, lets re-introduce the death sentence, or at least have LIFE to mean LIFE. A previously convicted man who was the subject of a probation order repeatedly rapes and defiles a pre-teenage girl and gets an open sentence, which in fact means probably being eligable for parole after 5 years ?? I DON'T EFFING THINK SO. Hand him to the parents, relatives and friends of the little girl concerned and then we would see true justice.

At least our Eastern cousins of warmer climes have a more sensible and reasonable attitude to making the sentence fit the crime, though maybe with the exception of women who commit adultery. (Well !! - They can't get everything exactly right, after all !!)
I agree, particularly about LIFE meaning LIFE
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Maybe I should have gone a little further.........

I am NOT and NEVER HAVE BEEN racist.

I despise racism and take every person, irrespective of race, creed, colour or sexual orientation on face value.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Laura M
Deputy Grecian

Post by Laura M »

Of course not J.R, and neither am I why do people like us have to be branded as fascists or racists just because we want to be proud of our country and object to all this political correctness gone mad.
Two men lying in a bed, one rolled over to the other and said, 'I'm gonna lead me a life of danger, I'm gonna marry a WESSEX RANGER!'
BaA 97-03 GrW 03-04
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

*BANGS HEAD ON TABLE*

ok peeps, it seems you're starting to get your union jack patterned y-fronts in a twist. try reading and understanding my posts and not just picking bits of them to twist.

my first post was in response to what JR wrote about not being able to do things in case we upset immigrants. who the hell has forbidden you from flying the red and white? well then! (or have i really been out of the country that long and they HAVE legally banned it, if so i'm on your side) :!:

Laura. I did not call you, or JR, a fascist or a racist. CALM. DOWN. try reading what i actually wrote perhaps. not just what you thought i may have implied. granted i didn't know you that well at CH but i know you're not a fascist, even if one of your boyfriends was considered by everyone else to be one. if that's, somehow, what you thought i was getting at, i'm not. i'd never hold someone elses beliefs against you.

JR. yep, death penalty for rapists, even better let the boyfriends/husbands/fathers of the victim do the killing. don't really see the relevance to the thread though.

CofE? for one it's not a religion. it's a coffee-morning-and-village-fete organisation (sorry, cheap shot :oops: ). what's the big problem with it not being taught in schools AT ALL? why waste time on RS at all when our schools are so appauling at the three Rs?
RS was the BIGGEST waste of my time at CH. and why? because all we learned about is said CofE. i.e. the one we all know about but few of us actually believe in anymore, or give a toss about anymore. Even the former Arch Bishop of Canterbury conceded that we "live in a nation of atheists".
though no doubt St Mohammed Ahmed George of Palestine was CofE so maybe you have a point...

JR, if you think all those things are thoughtless, great. just what has that got to do with me? i didn't personally invent them! nor did anyone remotely connected with me!

laura, am still waiting for our countries greatest historical moments...
not saying we have none, just saying our history is not as fantastic or squeaky clean as most seem to believe. just saying "duh, you mean you don't know any? well i'm not going to tell you then" just makes it seem like you can't back up your point. Given that i dropped history on my LE, and all we'd learned about by then was the Romans, Stalin and Hitler etc, I fail to see how my classical education has anything to do with it.

much as i dislike the PC-gone-mad lobby, i wouldn't call them "as equally vile as the National Front". I've never seen the former fire-bomb anyone's house.

the armed forces do have a habit of drumming patriotism into you (which would make sense to be fair, they do go and fight for our country/oil). most young squaddies are sucked in by it, thankfully a great deal also seem to grow out of it by the time the've done their 22 years (both of my uncles did). ok, so you were patriotic anyway, good for you. are you BLINDLY patriotic? yes? then you're not doing justice to your intelligence and YOU are "wasting your classical education". no? then why take offence to what i wrote?!

:cry: now my finger tips are sore...

so now you all know i wasn't on the war path, smile! :D
and stop treating me like i've just büggered the queen :shock:
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Sorry to hear about your fingertips, Hendrik.

As far as flying the glorious flag is concerned, SOME local authorities HAVE banned the flying of the glorious red cross because of the possibility of 'causing offence'

Our local authority bans the erection, (careful Jude), of flag-poles without planning permission, which would hardly be granted. There IS a way round this, if you look for the loop-holes in the planning laws !

Incidently, our local corner shop-keeper hails from our former Commonwealth, and he considers himself more English than a lot of so called Nationalists !
darthmaul
Deputy Grecian

Post by darthmaul »

My avatar displays me to Anglo-Indian/Sri Lankan, although in fact I am third generation British.

I do indeed get the tingles when we bang out the hymns of 'Jerusalem' and 'I vow to thee' - but I still need to affirm where I stand...

My loyalty to this country comes a little down my list after God, family, friends in that order. In my opinion, I am British, and proud to be so. I am also proud to have such a varied heritage (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Indian), which gives me a wider look on life I feel.

And yes, I do sing 'Vindaloo' at football matches.
L. Fanthome : Pe.A (03-05) Gr.W (05-06)
Laura M
Deputy Grecian

Post by Laura M »

Matt was not a facist, I know he probably made some stupid comments, but believe me he never wanted to go and oust all foreigners from our land. Please don't think of him as a facist he wasn't and never has been. Believe me I wouldn't date someone like that.
Two men lying in a bed, one rolled over to the other and said, 'I'm gonna lead me a life of danger, I'm gonna marry a WESSEX RANGER!'
BaA 97-03 GrW 03-04
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Blimey, who'd have thought that talking about sticking a red rose in a lapel and having a few pints could be so provocative?

This is all probably indicative of why the day doesn't get celebrated that much.
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

I think you are right there RR...

Knowing Hendrik, I know that he will frequently try and put a 'difficult' (!!) point of view across - normally to stir up / encourage debate!

Like Darthmaul, my loyalty to my country comes a little way down the list, but it is still important to me - also i's surely a good excuse to drink some ale! :)
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Well said Darthmaul !

Goes to prove my point.

When in Rome..........................

(Perleeez don't go into Latin, Richard !)
Hendrik
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hendrik »

i am staggered about the flags law! that is absurd.

british bevvies is certainly worth celebrating, i recently brought my austrian girlfriend over and she even conceded that our cider is better than the austrian stuff.

now that i want in writing!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Hendrik wrote:i am staggered about the flags law! that is absurd.

british bevvies is certainly worth celebrating, i recently brought my austrian girlfriend over and she even conceded that our cider is better than the austrian stuff.

now that i want in writing!
Get her to try mead !

(Arrr ! Memories of 'Rip' Kirby many years ago !)