New Girl

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Well we all know that Captain Pugwash came from Rye in Sussex, in fact I think I went to school with his younger brother.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

What amazes me is that it took ages for people to spot the double entendres !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

that is because there aren't any, it is an urban myth.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

englishangel wrote:that is because there aren't any, it is an urban myth.
Isn't that a light town fog to someone who lisps, aka Jonathon Woss ??

:oops:
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Alexandra Thrift
Deputy Grecian

the list !

Post by Alexandra Thrift »

Well done Midget.....finding "THE LIST".

Having visited the museum at Housey...IMO a copy of that list and the revised 60s edition....should definitely be in there.

My mother also followed it's demands religiously (jewish orthodox in contrast to Munch's Mum's evangelical christian take :D btw I remember Munch's sweet Mum very well !) almost to the letter..........at the end of the list it said something like

"IT IS ESSENTIAL THAT ALL GIRLS ARE INFORMED ABOUT THE FACTS OF LIFE AND THEIR PERIODS BEFORE STARTING AT THE SCHOOL "...........

I was intrigued.......and my older sister Rosalind took me aside to tell me about it all and thus fulfil this decree. I was horrified.

btw Munch's stories are wonderful and very evocative of the CH I remember.I was never in a junior house though but heard many of the stories,passed on like legends from Munch and others.

Of course there are good memories of our time at CH BUT they are all inextricably enveloped within the extreme discipline and constraints upon every aspect of our lives inside the hallowed (and broken bottle be-topped ) walls.The oh so predictable daily routine starting with the clanking of the bell at 7am and the ever present , brooding possibility of punishment
if we didn't keep up the momentum......led me to feel very depressed. Of course I didn't know what depression was .......and told no one how LOW I often felt.

Hearing Katharine and Munch speak about the Hag makes me suspect that the bullying that Munch,myself and others received at that time from Sixes "Study" (not from everybody and certainly not Katharine who was DR's Mon and rarely there) was a direct result of The Hag's bullying Legacy. A case of The Abused becoming the Abusers.

For Caroline....as you know Caroline (icomefromthelanddownunder) I did stay on until the sixth form. I had made a personal vow to myself that I would NEVER bully the younger children at CH and I'm pretty certain I never did.

What a heartbreaking story Katharine of your brother. How brave you and your parents were.

I have written on another thread about Old Blues Day and meeting up with Munch........and also chatting to lovely Midget and her hubby !!

Warm wishes to all, Alex xx
Katharine
Button Grecian

Re: the list !

Post by Katharine »

Alexandra Thrift wrote:Having visited the museum at Housey...IMO a copy of that list and the revised 60s edition....should definitely be in there.
"IT IS ESSENTIAL THAT ALL GIRLS ARE INFORMED ABOUT THE FACTS OF LIFE AND THEIR PERIODS BEFORE STARTING AT THE SCHOOL "...........
I have just realised I started at CH in the 50s, and that was why I did not have to know!!! :lol: :lol:
Before I went to CH, one day when my Mum was away, I fell forward on my bike and cut myself 'down below', when I told my poor father that I was bleeding there and couldn't put a patch on he went into a blue funk! I knew it was a cut and nothing else!
Alexandra Thrift wrote:Hearing Katharine and Munch speak about the Hag makes me suspect that the bullying that Munch,myself and others received at that time from Sixes "Study" (not from everybody and certainly not Katharine who was DR's Mon and rarely there) was a direct result of The Hag's bullying Legacy. A case of The Abused becoming the Abusers.
It does pain me to read how totally unobservant I was of my colleagues. I lived in a world of my own much of the time, particularly in the VI form, and was never really part of my year group as a set, if you know what I mean. But I should have been able to see bullying and stop it. I am so sorry that I didn't.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Re: the list !

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

Katharine wrote:It does pain me to read how totally unobservant I was of my colleagues. I lived in a world of my own much of the time, particularly in the VI form, and was never really part of my year group as a set, if you know what I mean. But I should have been able to see bullying and stop it. I am so sorry that I didn't.
Hi Katharine

I do not think that you have anything at all to feel guilty about: certainly no more than any of the rest of us :) . As I have already written, I thought that it was just I who lived in my own little world, not happy to be part of the CH community, and it is sobering to learn that I was sadly wrong.

I have also begun, several times, to offer long overdue condolences on your situation of heading off to CH so soon after the death of your brother, and have been unable to find words which sound meaningful and sincere. I'll leave it at writing how trite my situation was by comparison, and I don't believe that I would have been as brave as yourself and your family.

xx

Caroline
Caroline Payne (nee Barrett)
Hertford 6.20 1965-70

Adelaide, dear Adelaide; where the water is foul, but the wines more than make up for it.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Saturday morning, and...

Post by Angela Woodford »

I thought I would make an attempt to clear out that cupboard under the stairs.

I hooked out a very old John Lewis carrier bag, which must have been retained after the death of my mother. Here are masses of CH letters-to-parents. But creased and dog-eared, over-handled to a ridiculous degree is document "REGULATIONS AS TO CLOTHES, POCKET MONEY, &c"

Here it is - 1964

Parents or Guardians are requested to provide the following articles:-

Holy Bible - Authorised Version (Large print).
The Book of Common Prayer.
Songs of Praise (New and enlarged edition).
A hair brush, comb, tooth comb and nail scissors.
A pair of bedroom slippers.
A pair of plain style brown leather shoes, with flat heels -
for indoor use only.
Writing paper and envelopes.
A small attache case.
A large size suitcase, approx. 28" x 16" x 71/2".
A pair of white laced tennis shoes with no heel
A white swimming cap
A black swimming suit. This should be of crepe nylon or wool, and be of regulation pattern, i. e. plain style with built-on shoulder straps. (To save parents the expense of buying a new bathing suit at the end of the season, your daughter may bring her present suit with her on the understanding that she is provided with a black one in May).
A pair of woollen gloves
Simple mending requirements

(After this I'd written in excitement

Remember to sew names on to every thing)

Then the instructions went on:

When the child is about 12, it will be necessary for hockey boots and a suspender belt to be provided.

ALL THESE ARTICLES SHOULD BE PLAINLY MARKED WITH THE GIRL'S NAME.

ALL OTHER CLOTHING IS PROVIDED BY THE SCHOOL.

Fountain pens and wrist watches used at School must be engraved with the girl's name.

Girls' clothes (including shoes) must be returned after holidays clean and in good order. Any expense incurred for repairing, replacing or washing them at the beginning of term will be charged to Parents or Guardians. Suitcases must be clearly addressed with the name of the girl and her House, as well as the name of the School.

Play-boxes are not allowed, a locker being provided for each girl.

A minimum of £1 a term pocket money is needed, in addition to stamps for weekly letters home. Any additional money or stamps sent during the term should be sent direct to the House Mistress.

Sweets and fruit may be sent during the term. One lb. pot of home-made jam may be bought back each term: home-made cakes and biscuits are allowed for birthday parties only.

Girls may go out three times between August and December, and five times between January and June. In February, June and September there will be one Saturday when the visiting time will begin at 10 a.m. On other Saturdays visiting begins at 12.15 and ends, from April to Octber at 7.0 p.m. and from November to March at 6.0 p.m. Visiting on Sundays is from 11 a.m. to 3.45 p.m. and is for parents only. Written permission must always be given for a girl to go out with friends or relations.

The vacations are three and a half weeks at Christmas and Easter, six and a half weeks in the summer and two weeks in October: and all girls must be removed to the care of their Parents or Guardians for these vacations.

A. E. ALLISON, Clerk

26, Great Tower Street, E. C. 3.

I've also reproduced the punctuation -

Nothing about being informed about "the facts of life" as Alex remembers the year later!

Rather touchingly, I'd crossed off each item as acquired. then ticked it off as it was put in the suitcase 28" x 16" x 71/2 "!

Was I excited!

Munch
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

No mention on mine of fountain pens or watches-they were not allowed until you had your BA. And as ball point pens began to come in the too were forbidden--ah happy days.

Maggie
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

We were not allowed to use ball point pens until in the VI form, Maggie. It was dip pens first, then when you could write well enough you could use a fountain pen.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Banned!

The next year the stern directive

"No deodorants are allowed"!

So there!

Munch
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

Thank God for daily baths!

Maggie
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Never on a Sunday

No baths on a Sunday, Maggie! Even though only 3" deep!

Will I make it to 500 posts before you? Maybe...?

Munch
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

I'm sure we had baths on Sunday, although at one time there was a dreadful coal/coke shortage, I think because of a strike, so hot water was restricted, and the boilers were allowed to die down early or something, and seniors had to bath in the morning. What excitement, as far as I can Miss Norris rushing about like a scalded cat getting them up early.

Maggie

Yes you will get to 500 before me, Angela
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

midget wrote:Thank God for daily baths!
Did you have daily baths, Maggie? We certainly didn't in my time in 6s. It was (officially) either Monday, Wednesday and Friday or Tuesday, Thursday & Saturday. I always assumed none on Sunday so that it worked out we could have them on the same night each week.

The bath list was stuck on the bathroom door (I think) one of the many lists where we were not people but numbers.