Helpful Tips for New Parents please!!!

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

lonelymom
Button Grecian

Re: Helpful Tips for New Parents please!!!

Post by lonelymom »

Laura12 wrote:The older boys see it as good sport to try and work out the combinations and open the tuck lockers! Also anything that needs storing in fridge usually gets eaten / drunk by the rest of them so buy stuff that can be stored in a small cupboard (tuck locker).
I haven't got a son, so I can't comment on the boys houses, but I've never known anything like that in my daughter's house. That's awful!

I do agree about the key padlock for the wardrobe though, but not because anyone has ever tried to guess the combination, just because she inadvertantly changed it and didn't know what the new number was! One missed pe session (kit was in the locker) and a set of bolt-cutters later, all was well with the world. Make sure it's a padlock with two keys though and give the spare to the houseparent or matron to look after.
Last edited by lonelymom on Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lonelymom :rolleyes:
Momto2
Deputy Grecian

Post by Momto2 »

lonelymom wrote:
Laura12 wrote:The older boys see it as good sport to try and work out the combinations and open the tuck lockers! Also anything that needs storing in fridge usually gets eaten / drunk by the rest of them so buy stuff that can be stored in a small cupboard (tuck locker).
I haven't got a son, so I can't comment on the boys houses, but I've never known anything like that in my daughter's house. That's awful!
I hate to say it but this has happened in my son and daughter's houses. Certainly, my son doesn't keep anything in the house fridge anymore because it just disappears and he's a Dep so it's not just something that happens to the younger children. My daughter doesn't keep anything at all in her tuck locker.
Jade
3rd Former

Post by Jade »

Do a lot of things get stolen? Should my DS not bring his ipod? Can he bring a bike?
Jade
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

Well, as I said in the list of tuck my daughter takes with her, she has cheese, ham and yoghurts in the fridge (in a little coolbag) and nothing has been taken. I know some of the older girls take chicken and things back with them, and that has never gone missing either. Maybe the problem varies from house to house? I must admit I'd be a bit angry if someone started stealing my daughter's food!!! :evil:
Jade
3rd Former

Post by Jade »

I've been wondering about the skiing holiday the school takes the children on. Is that correct that it costs £800? If I'm on a very low income will they make me pay less? How long do they go for? Is it during term time? Is there any other holidays or trips my DS will be able to go on in the 2nd form?
Last edited by Jade on Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jade
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

Jade wrote:Do a lot of things get stolen? Should my DS not bring his ipod? Can he bring a bike?
My daughter has her ipod with her, admittedly she locks it in her locker when she's not using it. She would never leave it on her desk unattended, nor her phone or money (which I have heard goes missing from time to time). I also know of a phone that went missing, so I would just say that yes, he could take his ipod, but he needs to be aware that he shouldn't leave things laying around as there are always lots of people about.

On the flip side, my daughter and her friends regularly 'borrow' things from each other (clothes, make-up, jewellery) without permission, but they are all so close that they don't really feel the need to ask each other anymore, it's just accepted that they all share everything. My daughter has never had anything go missing forever (one thing was missing but was recovered from another girl's room!), but she has always been careful.

There are some bikes around, but I've rarely seen people on them! I think Eruresto has a bike at CH, maybe he'd know more about how many people use them?
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

Jade wrote:I've wondering about the skiing holiday the scool takes the children on. Is that correct that it costs £800? If I'm on a very low income will they make me pay less? How long do they go for? Is it during term time? Is there any other holidays or trips my DS will be able to go on in the 2nd form?
The ski trip is voluntary, not compulsory, so no, the school won't help with the cost! They only subsidise compulsory, curriculum-based trips. The ski trips are usually for 1 week, during holidays (ie Easter), and there are limited places, and from what I remember they are in excess of £800 (much too expensive for me!) There aren't any trips in 2nd form, apart from a day at the Tower of London, which is free to get in (due to links with CH), but a contribution for the coach hire is added to school fees.
thriftymatron
3rd Former

Post by thriftymatron »

Bikes are only allowed for Deps and Grecians and those pupils in the Cycle Touring Club (Seniors).
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

thriftymatron wrote:Bikes are only allowed for Deps and Grecians and those pupils in the Cycle Touring Club (Seniors).
I refuse to comment !!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

J.R. wrote:
thriftymatron wrote:Bikes are only allowed for Deps and Grecians and those pupils in the Cycle Touring Club (Seniors).
I refuse to comment !!
Why? :?
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Ajarn Philip wrote:
J.R. wrote:
I refuse to comment !!
Why? :?
Tut-tut !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I am sorry, I am having real problems with this thread.

My husband and I are by no means on a low income but our offspring had their laptops for their 18th birthdays, and did not have ipods (or anything similar), TVs in their rooms or skiing trips of any variety.

They had mobile phones for their 16th birthdays.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Jade
3rd Former

Post by Jade »

My son does'nt have a laptop and we have only ever been on holiday once to Paris for a few days. He does have an ipod. I asked about the skiing trip, because I would love for him to be able to have the experience. Sadly I can't afford £800 :?
Jade
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

englishangel wrote:I am sorry, I am having real problems with this thread.

My husband and I are by no means on a low income but our offspring had their laptops for their 18th birthdays, and did not have ipods (or anything similar), TVs in their rooms or skiing trips of any variety.

They had mobile phones for their 16th birthdays.
Fair enough, Mary, but why are you having problems with the fact that not all parents do/did the same as you? My parents were on an extremely low income, but they scrimped and saved to allow me annual visits to families in France and Germany. I'd be devastated to think anyone thought they were spoiling me...

My own kids, as youngsters, were always abed by 7. They were usually polite to everyone but each other. I found it difficult to understand how some of my friends could let their children get away with what they did - but I'd never have dreamed of saying anything!

We all have different approaches and priorities. I certainly don't think any caring parent needs to justify him/herself to another.
gma
Grecian

Post by gma »

The additional issueonthsi latest mater is that I don't have children however, have numerous nephews and nieces and would always try to contribute to something whizzy if they really wanted it. As far as ski trips go, I didn't take my first ski trip until I was 40-odd (good job too really as I'm terrible at it but love the apres ski!!), depending on the schools, some of my N & N went and some didn't - those that didn't have gone to snowdomes in UK for birthday treats - and it encourages them to save up themselves through birthday and xmas presents (and plenty of my N & N ask for bonds etc not cash as hey'll spend it!).

I remember the worst thing I did at school was lose my tennis racquet and I did not understand until then how little money my Mum had but her face was enough to tell me, amazingly Ms Gravy (of other thread fame) found it after I went to her and told her what had happened and how awful I felt.

Truthfully, if the trip is really desired then flog the ipod and encourage the undertaking of some jobs locally in the holidays, (dog walking, paper delivery, hedge trimming, general gardening etc etc), it's probably too late for this year but that provides the opportunity for family 'birthday and xmas' contributions!
Gerrie M-A (GMA) - 2:34 71-75

"If you cannot have what you want, then learn to want what you have"
Anon or The Guru or someone worthy like that.
Wasn't DR.
Definitely not.