Initial Assessment

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

Natasha2978
2nd Former

Re: Initial Assessment

Post by Natasha2978 »

Jaknat - sorry to hear about your twins! x I know what you mean I feel like I have invested a lot into this process, and have been following this forum for ages too. I'm just glad it's here or I'd be feeling even more miserable right now. It's such a horrid anti-climax after all that waiting! My son seems ok at the moment but then he doesn't always react straight away to things.
lippizaner
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by lippizaner »

Someone MUST have some good news! There can't only be you who have received letters today! Oh, I wish it wasn't a bank holiday tomorrow over here! But if they are weeding out 5a children at this stage, it leaves me with little hope that they'll not weed out my DS too, just for living abroad. If they've no intention of letting him have a place due to not being UK resident, then why let him go to the next level really? Oh no, oh no. More panic, more nailbiting and now I have to do it for an extra 24 hours on top of all that. I'll be down to my knuckles by Saturday lunchtime when the post comes.
lippizaner
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by lippizaner »

Me again. Those of you whose kids have not passed this hurdle, how did they come out of the exam? Did they think it was easy? Or hard? Just out of curiosity that is. I had already decided that if mine came out saying it was easy it was a BAD sign, and sure enough, he did. Heart sank. He is a great one for not reading the question properly or leaping in with an answer without reading all the options. What did your children say about it?
matthews301
3rd Former

Post by matthews301 »

mine said he had to think towards the end of the paper ( as in he felt it got harder as it went on) he said he checked over and corrected a few questions and well he just said it was like the sats that the content was pretty much all covered in school...
english side he said he kept to the time frame etc.. i got his mock sat exam from his school with 1 question wrong.. oh well such as life was horrible seeing his little face
matthews301
3rd Former

Post by matthews301 »

jaknat2828 wrote:Hi everyone, wish I could write something positive to you all, but after watching this site for months and following all your blogs, have to add that my twin DS did not get in either!!! Also both level 5. One in tears, the other OK about it and I am devastated, having invested 15months on the process, and all my hopes & dreams for the boys.
As you have all said at least we get to keep them at home.
Good luck to the rest of you and I now need to forget CH and stop watching this site but you have all been a great comfort during the long run-up to today. The very best to you all and your children.
know how you feel .. good luck in your next steps x
kati10705
2nd Former

Post by kati10705 »

lippizaner wrote:Someone MUST have some good news! There can't only be you who have received letters today! Oh, I wish it wasn't a bank holiday tomorrow over here! But if they are weeding out 5a children at this stage...
My DD got her letter today saying she had been invited to the January assessment - she is a high level 5 atm.
lippizaner
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by lippizaner »

Hooray for her! Good news at last! Congratulations to her. A high level five all round then?
matthews301
3rd Former

Post by matthews301 »

thats great news well done to your dd and best of luck for the next round x
just for interes high level 5 is a ( 5a) right?. x
Natasha2978
2nd Former

Post by Natasha2978 »

lippizaner wrote:Me again. Those of you whose kids have not passed this hurdle, how did they come out of the exam? Did they think it was easy? Or hard? Just out of curiosity that is. I had already decided that if mine came out saying it was easy it was a BAD sign, and sure enough, he did. Heart sank. He is a great one for not reading the question properly or leaping in with an answer without reading all the options. What did your children say about it?
My son said the maths was easy but he struggled with the english paper which is the opposite to what I expected to be honest! I'm finding it hard to get used to the fact that it's all over :(

kati10705 wrote: My DD got her letter today saying she had been invited to the January assessment - she is a high level 5 atm.
I'm really glad for you, I wish your daughter the best of luck in the January assessments! It's nice to see someone got through :)
Natasha2978
2nd Former

Post by Natasha2978 »

There was a parent at the test who I spoke to and I cant remember her name. We sat at the statue and chatted during the test and my son was the one who came out looking poorly twice. You were there with your husband and other son who is already at CH. I know you said that you've been watching this forum so if you happen to see this I'd love to know how your daughter got on! :)
lippizaner
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by lippizaner »

My DS also thought the Maths was the easy bit, and rather worryingly finished it ten minutes before the time alloted, cue hurried questions from mum such as "you did use that time to check your answers, didn't you?' - fat chance of him having done that.
He thought the missing word bit was the hardest and said he didn't know some of the words (worry) but that he wrote an essay he liked.
Any idea what anyone else's DCs wrote in their essays or thought about the missing word bit?
lippizaner
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by lippizaner »

Anyone with any more news today?
Natasha2978
2nd Former

Post by Natasha2978 »

My son said the missing words part was hard and that he struggled with the written section because his stomach was hurting too much, also I think he probably spent too long planning as that's what he usually does! I feel a bit stupid for applying to be honest when I see that the other kids all seem to be level 5 plus already :oops:
matthews301
3rd Former

Post by matthews301 »

Natasha2978 wrote:My son said the missing words part was hard and that he struggled with the written section because his stomach was hurting too much, also I think he probably spent too long planning as that's what he usually does! I feel a bit stupid for applying to be honest when I see that the other kids all seem to be level 5 plus already :oops:
i felt like that yesturday... honest when i was at ch you could have a level 4 child who could achieve great things given the chance this is what ch stood for when i went not levels .. its a package ch look at and i guess we didnt fill all the boxes as much as some??
this doesnt mean our children cant be rocket scientist does it? xx
Pibble
3rd Former

Post by Pibble »

I'm sorry to hear about the kids who didn't make it this time and I'm pleased for those who have, good luck for the assessment weekend in January.

I agree with all of the wonderful comments of support and can't really add to them as they say it all. I'm sure your children will do brilliantly at whatever school they attend and will make you all very proud. None of you should give yourselves a hard time for applying as I'm sure your kids will have learnt masses from the experience and the possibility was only that, because you applied and the kids gave it ago. I hope that makes sense.

I'm certain that their journey to become rocket scientists, or whatever they choose for themselves, is only just beginning and that they will be unhindered by this experience.

Good luck for the future to you all.

P