sock ties and other miscellaneous queries

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

SAS
GE (Great Erasmus)

Re: sock ties and other miscellaneous queries

Post by SAS »

Yes - there are posts on this site from those who are on the waiting list.
pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

Post by pinkhebe »

well, although I have sent to deposit off, I do understand Dr M, It's like there's no going back once the cheques gone.

I have checked my paperwork, and the financial declarations go out in April, luckily because of cause the p40? s don't arrive until mid April.
I have checked the ready rekoner so many times (in case it's miraculously gone down :D ) I know exactly how much my water/buildings ins/council tax is! I just wish they'd take into account the travel expenses, that alone would nearly pay for the fees :(
Chris Blewett
Deputy Grecian

Post by Chris Blewett »

Hi All - sorry to blag your thread - but as an Old Blue of some age - Can I say that I have only just realised how many sacrifices my parents made for me whilst I was at Horsham. Mum had to go part time at work as she earned too much and I guess I was a trial at school.

BUT as an oldie can I say to you all - Bless you for making it possible for your children to have a fantastic start in life. They possible wont realise it (and will yell and scream at you maybe!) for many years BUT THEY WILL realise it. Its too late for me to thank my father now - so may I thank you all for that which my parents did for me?

I'm off back to sleep now!!!
LHB, Th A 1968-Xmas 73
CHDad
Deputy Grecian

Post by CHDad »

Dr Mummy wrote:Yes the idea of finding all that info again for the financial declaration is slightly off putting!!

I also suspect my lack of deposit sending may reflect my ambivalence and difficulty in deciding whether boarding school is the best option!!! Such a tough decision....

Dr Mummy, I do know how you feel. For us there was no doubt whatsoever that CH was a fantastic school. However it is difficult wrestling with the idea of boarding particularly if like us you had never considered that option previously. If you had asked me 2 years ago whether my son would be going to a boarding school I would have said "no way". However after nearly 2 terms he is very happy and what is more I have almost got used to it as well!
pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

Post by pinkhebe »

Thanks CHdad, It's good to know your son has settled in. My husband was against the whole idea of boarding until I dragged him to the open day last year, he did a complete U turn on the idea, alot of it down to the lovely children who showed us round.
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

Having alresdy been evacuatedfor almost 4 years, and a devotee of school stories, th thought of boarding was no problem.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
Dr Mummy
3rd Former

Post by Dr Mummy »

CHDad wrote:
Dr Mummy wrote:Yes the idea of finding all that info again for the financial declaration is slightly off putting!!

I also suspect my lack of deposit sending may reflect my ambivalence and difficulty in deciding whether boarding school is the best option!!! Such a tough decision....

Dr Mummy, I do know how you feel. For us there was no doubt whatsoever that CH was a fantastic school. However it is difficult wrestling with the idea of boarding particularly if like us you had never considered that option previously. If you had asked me 2 years ago whether my son would be going to a boarding school I would have said "no way". However after nearly 2 terms he is very happy and what is more I have almost got used to it as well!
CH Dad, thank you for your response. I am in complete agreement that the school is fantastic but similarly I had never in my wildest dreams thought about boarding school until recently. Also, having brought my daughter up entirely single handedly the decision is one which falls squarely upon my shoulders - quite a weight of responsibility. Some reassurance and normalising of my feelings was definitely what I was hoping for! It is comforting to know that you too wrestled with the concept but are happy with your decision and your son is enjoying himself. Thank you.
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

Dr Mummy, I'm truly sorry if my earlier comment upset you - I was a single parent of a daughter myself, and can empathise with you about the burden of making all the decisions alone. It seemed to me that you were somewhat casual about acceptance/rejection of your daughter's place, so, having noted the distress of others who got either refusal or waiting-list replies, I felt your situation was a relative luxury. Clearly it wasn't, & you are having a genuinely hard time weighing up the pros & cons. So, sorry again.
There are several members of this Forum who are single parents with children at CH; I'm sure they'd be only too willing to give you any support you might need. Good lucK!
cupcakemom
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by cupcakemom »

Chris - thanks for such a reassuring post. Having sent off deposits, completed forms, compiled financial information to date, etc it's good to get confirmation that my gut feeling that this IS the right move for my daughter and worth every single sacrifice.

Dr Mummy - what helped me decide (single mum too) is I have one chance at securing a decent educational future for my daughter - but, as I've said before on the forum - it's more than the education ... it's emotional and social experiences too. Socially - CH is very balanced and I just needed to look at how the school dealt with recent tragic events to know that my daughter will have not only a home from home but a family from family too. I have every confidence she will make life long friends there and develop into the great individual I know she can be. As I've said - I've got one chance to get her to CH ... if I don't take this chance (and perhaps "chance" is the wrong word as it makes it sound like a gamble ...) it will not arise again. I didn't want to be here in say 4 years' time thinking "if only she'd gone to CH" ...

My thoughts on the whole subject are rather emotional and I seem to have lost the ability of putting my ideas down in type in a clear way ... but rest assured - you are not alone in facing such "grown up" decisions!
Never underestimate the power of a Mummy!
Dr Mummy
3rd Former

Post by Dr Mummy »

Thanks for your helpful replies. I too seem to lose the power of words when discussing the decision and am finding my extremes of emotion a little draining!!! I was certainly not meaning to sound ungrateful in terms of the place.

Quick question - apart from the leave weekends and holidays, how much opportunity is there to visit the school during term time? Can you attend the chapel services and how easy is it in reality to take your children out on a Sunday? Thanks.
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

Not sure about Chapel services, certainly not the normal school ones I don't think. Yes, you can go and visit on Sundays, take your daughter out for a few hours, you just have to give the houseparent notice. Obviously if you start going every Sunday it might be frowned on a bit, and might cause some jealousy problems from the kids who's parents can't visit, but the occasional visit is welcomed. If you get permission you can even take one of your daughter's friends with you too, which always goes down well. You can also go and watch netball/hockey matches etc, if you're close enough.
lonelymom :rolleyes:
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I may be wrong, but I seem to remember on occasions, parents attending chapel and sitting up in the gallery.

John H might be able to clarify as we are of the same school generation.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Barnes Mum
Deputy Grecian

Post by Barnes Mum »

Parents can't usually attend full school Chapel services due to the understandable lack of space, but are often welcomed at the voluntary ones. It would say in the school calendar that it's 'Choice Chapel' for the pupils.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

J.R. wrote:I may be wrong, but I seem to remember on occasions, parents attending chapel and sitting up in the gallery.

John H might be able to clarify as we are of the same school generation.
JR: in our day the Prep did not usually attend chapel and when they did they were in the loft because there was insufficient space at ground level; otherwise the loft was empty though on occasion one saw people there in mufti. When the school was reorganised and the young ladies arrived suddenly there were more pupils needing chapel space; I don't know if, but I suspect that the loft became used far more often.
pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

Post by pinkhebe »

Just out of interest, how much school work are the children expected to do on leave weekends and holidays?