Parental Contribution

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

ailurophile
Deputy Grecian

Re: Parental Contribution

Post by ailurophile »

Dr Mummy wrote
It is interesting that similar themes seem emerge which make the contribution feasible or not. Notably - low to middle income earners seem to suffer as a drop in tax credit,fr example, is not reflected in a drop in fees; living in parts of the country which are more expensive for the basics; other unaviodable costs that are not taken into account e.g essential work related costs and travel; having a mortgage that is high in relation to ones salary; and having other children at home. For oneself sacrificing all but the essentials maybe an option but when one has other young children this is neither possible nor fair. The fact that some parents are forced into remortgaging suggests that the assessment process does not fairly reflect individual family circumstances. This was not even an option open to myself as I have already done this to pay for essential maintenance!!
I have been making similar observations on this Forum for quite some time now. Perhaps the current review of the assessment process will address some of these inequities, but I'm not holding my breath - and any changes will come too late for Dr Mummy and other families against whom the current system discriminates.

The CH website states that the school "offers a life-changing opportunity to boys and girls to study with other high achievers from all walks of life." I'm not sure that this claim is entirely justifiable when the assessment makes it impossible for increasing numbers of families to afford that opportunity. CH is looking to admit more and more wealthy pupils (is there still any cap on the percentage of pupils paying full fees, or will they now take as many as they can get?). The very poor, who are asked to pay little or no contribution, are still able to access the school, which is as it should be. But for the 'squeezed middle', those who work hard to support their families and who must budget very carefully to make an average income meet the spiralling costs of even basic necessities, the Foundation have a very unrealistic expectation of what is affordable.

It is very sad to see Dr Mummy conclude that "If I claimed off the state instead I would no doubt not have had to withdraw my daughter from CH!", but she's probably right. For children from many walks of life, this life-changing opportunity is simply not an option.
DavidRawlins
Button Grecian

Post by DavidRawlins »

A major problem is that the school is seriously underfunded at present, due to a variety of causes. If it's endowment were to be doubled, a lot of these problems could be overcome. The number of boys has more than halved over the last 40 years (although there has been an increase in the number of girls). If the number of boys were increased the number of girls would have to go up as well.
Discuss!
Col A 1946-1953
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

I don't understand what it is exactly we're supposed to be discussing. How would the number of boys, and therefore girls be able to increase? Where would they all sleep? Or am I getting confused (not for the first time)
lonelymom :rolleyes:
DavidRawlins
Button Grecian

Post by DavidRawlins »

lonelymom wrote:I don't understand what it is exactly we're supposed to be discussing. How would the number of boys, and therefore girls be able to increase? Where would they all sleep? Or am I getting confused (not for the first time)
New houses would have to be built (as, indeed, the Grecians' blocks were built a few years ago); and extra classrooms would be needed as well. The art school quad could be developed for classrooms.
Col A 1946-1953
Dr Mummy
3rd Former

Post by Dr Mummy »

I truly hope for you guys they find a way of increasing revenue without upping your fees (or insisting on equity in your home being used which was my fear!!). I don't want to be the voice of doom and gloom and detract from the positive experiences of the vaste majority but I feel compelled to share the fact that I wrote to the school registering my concerns about the assessment of fees, the fact that places had to be accepted without a written estimate of fees or access to the R.R, and asking how to obtain a refund for the house rugby and polo shirts I have already forked out for....and I have not even had an acknowledgement!! The pupils and staff I met seemed fantastic but the 'powers that be' have some answering to do!!
tulip
2nd Former

Post by tulip »

*Waves* Hi all, newbie here. Just joined, my dd is due to start CH this September and the subject you have been discussing is taking up a lot of space in my tiny mind.

V nervous as fee estimation has come in A LOT MORE than the RR. Think they have taken my savings into account, which I was told would be disregared when I enquired at the Open Day - Why?

Here's the story - I have been saving like mad to buy a house for years, but currently can't get a mortgage as I am self-employed, but hanging onto that dream. Really worried that the new system about to be introduced will mean handing over my life savings next year and saying goodbye to any idea of home ownership. My rent was two thirds of my income last year, and there are other pressing reasons for needing a home of our own... so as a single mum with no inheritances on any horizon, no pension, currently out of freelance contract, not in receipt of any unemployment/housing benefits I am a bit erm, what's the word - petrified! Yup, that's it. My dd has her heart set on CH and I have no doubt she'll love it, but do I bet the house on her happiness? So your advice please. I know we are strangers but feel you know more than anyone I know what CH means to us and our kids.
Dr Mummy
3rd Former

Post by Dr Mummy »

Hi Tulip :-). I share your anguish!! My fees came back double those estimated by the R.R and I really don't know why!! I wonder after reading your post whether maybe they are already taking equity into account as I do have some equity in my house - but it is only a 2 bed terrace so I am hardly living a grandiose life style!! I am not the best person to advise as my experience has already been so negative but I will say that I may have sold the house....sold my body (hmmm wouldn't make a lot!!)....sold my soul to the devil had I not had another child at home who I need to consider as well!! This is all rather confusing :-(
ailurophile
Deputy Grecian

Post by ailurophile »

David Rawlins wrote
A major problem is that the school is seriously underfunded at present, due to a variety of causes. If it's endowment were to be doubled, a lot of these problems could be overcome. The number of boys has more than halved over the last 40 years (although there has been an increase in the number of girls). If the number of boys were increased the number of girls would have to go up as well.
Discuss!

New houses would have to be built (as, indeed, the Grecians' blocks were built a few years ago); and extra classrooms would be needed as well. The art school quad could be developed for classrooms.

Well I'm quite sure that if my disposable income were to be doubled, many of my problems could be overcome. But I don't expect this to happen!! :lol:

With respect, I'm baffled as to how increasing pupil numbers and investing huge capital sums in new buildings would help with the underfunding problems? When we first visited CH about eight years ago, the then Headmaster proudly showcased the boarding house refurbishment programme, and emphasised that the school was in the unique and privileged position of having sufficient endowment/ investment income to be able to achieve this without relying on income from fees. This comfortable situation has clearly changed! A recent letter from the Head told parents that the endowment income is no longer sufficient to support CH's traditional high percentage of 'needy' pupils, and that there will need to be a limited increase in the number of fee-paying pupils to ensure the school's long-term financial viability. Surely this suggests, however, that direct entry pupils will be admitted instead of Foundation pupils, and not in addition to them? Unless I've got this wrong (and it wouldn't be the first time!), it's the bursary support that the Foundation cannot currently sustain; the fees from each direct-entry place will meet the costs of that pupil's education, but will not generate much actual profit for the school. And don't forget that independent education is a very competitve market; although CH needs more direct entry pupils there is no guarantee that it will actually get them! Taking all these factors into account, the idea of increasing overall pupil numbers in the current financial climate would seem to be imprudent in the extreme.

Discuss!
Fairy
Deputy Grecian

Post by Fairy »

Hi Tulip :D ,

My dd also starting in September.

It is a hard decision because it is a big financial commitment for several years.

I was nervous about this (and still am to some extent given the changes next year) but I knew CH was absolutely the right place for dd. We had looked at other schools but as soon as we went to CH the decision was made in my head that if she got in I would find a way to make it happen.

As it's just dd and me I decided whatever sacrifices I need to make will be more than worth it to give her an opportunity and an education I never dreamed I would be able to give her.

But it also depends on what the alternative options for schools are for your dd and how pressing the needs are to move to a privately owned house.
ailurophile
Deputy Grecian

Post by ailurophile »

Tulip wrote
V nervous as fee estimation has come in A LOT MORE than the RR. Think they have taken my savings into account, which I was told would be disregared when I enquired at the Open Day - Why?
Dr Mummy wrote
My fees came back double those estimated by the R.R and I really don't know why!!
Posts like this make my blood boil. Parents should not be having to ask these questions here, and at this stage. But as Dr Mummy's experience shows (and as I have found myself), requests to the Counting House for explanations are not responded to in adequate detail. THIS IS COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE!! Parents must be entitled to a clear and comprehensive breakdown of how their assessed contribution has been calculated. The whole process seems to become more obscure and unpredictable every year.
tulip
2nd Former

Post by tulip »

Hi again

Thanks for the replies. I also have another child to consider, a disabled child, hence the need for a home of our own - the council won't carry out adaptions in a privately rented home.

It's a tough one, balancing the different needs. Your opinions are v much appreciated. In the meantime will have to hope the estimate is wrong x
Fairy
Deputy Grecian

Post by Fairy »

Gosh that really is a tough decision. have pm'd you Tulip :)
Dr Mummy
3rd Former

Post by Dr Mummy »

So have I!!
pinkhebe
Deputy Grecian

Post by pinkhebe »

I'm really panicing now....
Antinous1
3rd Former

Post by Antinous1 »

I'm sure this isn't the case at CH, or hasn't been till now, but I do know from friends applying for bursaries at other independents this year that other schools expect you to use savings and release as much equity as you can (including downsizing housing if necessary) to pay fees before they will start helping with bursaries. One friend actually gave up a partial scholarship place for her child at a top school because they told her she needed to either remortgage or downsize (which would have covered the first two years' fees), and when that was used up she'd be eligible for bursary assistance - she just couldn't take the risk that the bursary would be either forthcoming or enough if it was awarded. The difference there though was that the school had a very limited number of bursary places on offer.

I really feel for people having to make this horrible decision at the moment.

Antinous