Journeys Beyond the Known Frontiers of Boredom

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

helen
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by helen »

Something to be nostalgic about I suppose.
I was bored out of my mind with A level geography taught by likable (and worthy of comapssion) Miss Wilson. But while this could have been an exciting subject, all we got were dictated notes and contour maps to colour, as well as maps showing the mineral deposits in Britain, the climate distribution in Britain, etc. etc. Miss Wilson was OK but she didn't know how to make the subject any more than a chore. I have to say though that in those days there were no 'visual aids', videos of exciting places, national geographic tv videos etc. or any other teaching aid that she could have used to make things more interesting.And since we weren't even allowed out of the gates solo, let alone in the town, or God forbid, the outside world beyond, there was little in the way of practical application!
A close second would come DR's pre confirmation talks. But only ex Hertford types would know what those were like.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

helen wrote:A close second would come DR's pre confirmation talks. But only ex Hertford types would know what those were like.
I seem to remember that the only work she had ever done on a Sunday was to wash out her kit after INTERNATIONAL matches? Can't remember anything that helped me with my later life.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

After Latin I think French - I can speak the wretched language and even passed that at O level, but I cannot for the life of me write it - so overall I got a resounding U...

oh well - at least I managed to casue on hotel mamager to go very red when a girlfriend and I were in France and wanted a room for the night - he asked if we wanted single or a double (matrimonial ) bed... my friend sopke no English so I trnaslated for her - she had hysterics in laughter - he obviously understood English - and went very red and stuttered - I kept poker face and asked for 2 singles - as my friend had just said ....
"I'm not sharing with you again, I saw what you did with the sheets last night"
C'est la vie!!!!
Jude Comber (nee Kelynack) 5's 5.38 1975-1980 Herts.
To Learn - read, to Know - write, to MASTER - Teach
Jolyon
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Jolyon »

Well I have to say on the boredom level things got alot worse after I was at CH (3 hour seminars on The Wilderness anyone?) but though it is close to heresy DN-P could have me in a doze at times. Not often, but sometimes the whole lesson was on a topic that was less about drama pre se and more about DNP, when that happened there was nothing to do but get comfy and wait for the bell.
In a little place in our hearts we never leave
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

BTaylor wrote:
DavebytheSea wrote:Far worse than falling asleep in a lesson when you are a student, is falling asleep when you are the teacher. Believe me!

I once wrote on this forum about just such a very embarrassing incident I had, but I cannot find it; I think JT must have binned it.
Mr Keeley used to do that on a regualr basis.
It may have been mentioned elsewhere but there is a story that after exams, Tom Keeley would read Lord of the Rings to his assembled dozing pupils. It was a summer afternoon session frequently known as the graveyard.
Rumour has it that Keeley also dozed off whilst he was reading.

I have often wondered if he didn't have some condition, as had a boss of mine.
My boss, who was the General Manager, was capable of dozing off in committee meetings which he was leading.
He had his car repaired on various occasions when he fell asleep at traffic lights and the car behind started before he woke up.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

Nah - it's men.... My ex husband could tune out the world with a book - and used to fall asleep before the children when he rarely read tehm a bedtime story - I used to get "Mummy, Daddy's fallen asleep and we haven't finished .... Winnie The Pooh, Thomas the Tank or whatever.... He also enjoyed being read to - I never got past the first page of Winnie the Pooh to him as he was asleep before Edward Bear was coming down the stairs on his head!
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

Jude wrote:Nah - it's men....
Maybe just a slight generalisation :wink:

I thought it was just that men work harder than women, and hence are more tired?? :twisted:
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Nothing wrong with my eyesight young man.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Jude wrote:Nah - it's men.... My ex husband could tune out the world with a book - and used to fall asleep before the children when he rarely read tehm a bedtime story - I used to get "Mummy, Daddy's fallen asleep and we haven't finished .... Winnie The Pooh, Thomas the Tank or whatever.... He also enjoyed being read to - I never got past the first page of Winnie the Pooh to him as he was asleep before Edward Bear was coming down the stairs on his head!
I can't help but think that maybe you two had your priorities wrong !

Something a little stronger than Winnie the Pooh might have been a better bet, Jude !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

not only have I also got good eyesight young Julian... (yes Mary we at our age can see that small!!!)

As for needing something stronger - he fell asleep there too... sex was the same - he'd demand I'd look at the ceiling working my way from oneside of the room to another via the artex curves, by then after about 4 thrusts he was done (so no I never did get across the ceiling), he'd turn over and snore away... I think I chose the WRONG MAN!

Major wrong one!

ho hum... 17 years on my own now , and I don't see anyone wanting me, my baggage, plus the joke of men are like parking spaces comes to mind.... :roll:
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Jude wrote:not only have I also got good eyesight young Julian... (yes Mary we at our age can see that small!!!)

As for needing something stronger - he fell asleep there too... sex was the same - he'd demand I'd look at the ceiling working my way from oneside of the room to another via the artex curves, by then after about 4 thrusts he was done (so no I never did get across the ceiling), he'd turn over and snore away... I think I chose the WRONG MAN!

Major wrong one!

ho hum... 17 years on my own now , and I don't see anyone wanting me, my baggage, plus the joke of men are like parking spaces comes to mind.... :roll:
That's not what Edwina Currie said !!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

i must have been deaf then - what did Edwina say? i know she and john Major had a fling - but seh was out by then wasn't she - salmonella eggs etc.....

Baking here in the heat - now thinking about air con for the house!!! have huge fan (industrial, but it's so close it doesn't seem to do anything about bringing the temperature down - I guess we shouldn't complain after all everyone knows Britain for it's rain not sunshine!!!

:lol: 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

John Major and Edwina Currie had their affair before he became Prime Minister.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

englishangel wrote:John Major and Edwina Currie had their affair before he became Prime Minister.
SEE Mary knows ALL THE GOSS!!!!
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

Jude wrote:
englishangel wrote:John Major and Edwina Currie had their affair before he became Prime Minister.
SEE Mary knows ALL THE GOSS!!!!
I'm sure she doesn't know quite all the "goss", which is Valencian for dog.

She does not know my Goss, short for Gosset, which is his name and means small dog. He is a Jack Russell.