Association Football At CH And Beyond

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Newman
2nd Former

Post by Newman »

Great Plum wrote:
CH Football wrote:*snip*

As far as I am aware, I dont know of anyone that has gone professional, but it isnt surprising given the lack of emphasis on the game, although this has improved. It is bollocks however to say that we were useless at it while we were at school. I dont remember getting hammered in many games and usually our win draw loss ratio was positive or near enough.

*snip*
My school year were useless at football - I don't recall them winning many matches at all...
That's not actually true, Plum. Your year were very good at football with Gareth Jenkins, Andrew Vaughan (who had played county football before coming to the school) and Elijah Sobanjo (who had had trials with Crystal Palace before CH) all excelli Your house team didn't win many matches I think, but your year were excellent.

Steve Gatting once told us that he had only seen one player capable of going pro - Dan Ellis who left in 98, I think - however, Dominic Roberts who left in 02 (?) was on Fulham's books whilst at school.

God, I'm a nerd...
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Blimey it has taken you nearly 18 months to make your first post, is this a record?
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Newman
2nd Former

Post by Newman »

Quite possibly. :oops:
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Newman wrote:
Great Plum wrote:
CH Football wrote:*snip*

As far as I am aware, I dont know of anyone that has gone professional, but it isnt surprising given the lack of emphasis on the game, although this has improved. It is bollocks however to say that we were useless at it while we were at school. I dont remember getting hammered in many games and usually our win draw loss ratio was positive or near enough.

*snip*
My school year were useless at football - I don't recall them winning many matches at all...
That's not actually true, Plum. Your year were very good at football with Gareth Jenkins, Andrew Vaughan (who had played county football before coming to the school) and Elijah Sobanjo (who had had trials with Crystal Palace before CH) all excelli Your house team didn't win many matches I think, but your year were excellent.

Steve Gatting once told us that he had only seen one player capable of going pro - Dan Ellis who left in 98, I think - however, Dominic Roberts who left in 02 (?) was on Fulham's books whilst at school.

God, I'm a nerd...
OK then... I don't really remember but i don't think they were as good as football as they were rugby...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Newman
2nd Former

Post by Newman »

That is probably a fair comment but - as was pointed out at the beginning of the topic - clearly the school's priority was and always will be rugby, certainly in the first term. Plus we tended to play 'footbal schools' during the Lent term which allowed them vastly more experience than ourselves. I think any lack of really decent results - at either sport - is probably due to spreading ourselves too thinly and still trying to compete. But it was fun nevertheless.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Newman wrote:That is probably a fair comment but - as was pointed out at the beginning of the topic - clearly the school's priority was and always will be rugby, certainly in the first term. Plus we tended to play 'footbal schools' during the Lent term which allowed them vastly more experience than ourselves. I think any lack of really decent results - at either sport - is probably due to spreading ourselves too thinly and still trying to compete. But it was fun nevertheless.
We did have a tendency of playing huge boys schools in the London area didn't we?
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

Great Plum wrote:We did have a tendency of playing huge boys schools in the London area didn't we?
ooh, how exciting.... complete with chains and leather jackets ?
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

down girl :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Where's an apostrophe when you need one? ;)
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

englishangel wrote:down girl :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

.... and I get accused of being racy !!!!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.