Old Blues Day 2007 - DATE FOR YOUR DIARY

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Familiar to US!

Post by Angela Woodford »

Eruresto wrote:I think CH sunhats would be a good idea, with the rapidly increasing number of gingers in the school...we used to have them at my old school and they worked rather well.
Ashbourne hats, Josh!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Munch
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
Eruresto
Grecian

Post by Eruresto »

Que?
Joshua Bell: PeA 2002-2008, GrW 2008-9
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Josh if you look here you will see several photos showing the very fetching sunhats we wore at Hertford. One year the fashion was for the tapes (that tied under the chin to keep them on) to reach down to the ground.

viewtopic.php?t=1049&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

Ashbourne was the name of our sports ground a fair walk away from the school.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

Here's the Old Blues Day programme for tomorrow:-

(Click on the image for a full-size readable version)
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Yes have a good day one and all.

I couldn't commit to coming via registration etc as we had a seriously ill relative who as it happens sadly passed away earlier this week.

I had hoped to meet a few of you but maybe another time.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

With JR's help, I put together a Forum Flyer for distribution on OB's Day. Did anyone see one? I certainly didn't but was too busy on the day to notice whether or not they were being distributed.
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

DavebytheSea wrote:With JR's help, I put together a Forum Flyer for distribution on OB's Day. Did anyone see one? I certainly didn't but was too busy on the day to notice whether or not they were being distributed.
As I think I told you Dave - Jan and I saw one pinned to one of the boards near the CHA stand, other than that............
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

It was great to meet other forumites on the day - Munch, Maggie, J.R etc whom I'd never met before as well as old friends, such as God (JT), RR, Kerren, Josh, Huge Plum - I went to the Scout camp fire in Shelley Wood (thanks Josh) - esoteric/random/bizarre are words that come to mind. Even the scoutleader got lost on her way out of the wood as darkness fell. The blind leading the disabled. Great fun!

Oh ..... and next time I must remember to bring a jacket and tie - I was caught at the lectern in Chapel with my trousers down (so to speak) - thanks, son, for the lovely blue tie.
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

There was a pile of them on/near the CHA stand, think they may have disappeared quite quickly.

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
Eruresto
Grecian

Post by Eruresto »

DavebytheSea wrote:Oh ..... and next time I must remember to bring a jacket and tie - I was caught at the lectern in Chapel with my trousers down (so to speak) - thanks, son, for the lovely blue tie.
You were wearing them from where I was sitting...
Joshua Bell: PeA 2002-2008, GrW 2008-9
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

DavebytheSea wrote:It was great to meet other forumites on the day - Munch, Maggie, J.R etc whom I'd never met before as well as old friends, such as God (JT), RR, Kerren, Josh, Huge Plum - I went to the Scout camp fire in Shelley Wood (thanks Josh) - esoteric/random/bizarre are words that come to mind. Even the scoutleader got lost on her way out of the wood as darkness fell. The blind leading the disabled. Great fun!

Oh ..... and next time I must remember to bring a jacket and tie - I was caught at the lectern in Chapel with my trousers down (so to speak) - thanks, son, for the lovely blue tie.
I felt that some of the sketces were somewhat random...

Mary's songs were more fun however!
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

It was great seeing what "names" really looked like. Angela-you were exactly how I imagined you. A lovely chat with you and Alexandra after chapel. And I now know what Matt, David Richard and John H look like- the latter 2 just like they do on the programme.
Joe was very impressed with the whole thing, particularly, and in no special order, the confidence and general niceness of the pupils we spoke to, the band , and the general cleanliness.

Maggie
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

midget wrote:It was great seeing what "names" really looked like. Angela-you were exactly how I imagined you. A lovely chat with you and Alexandra after chapel. And I now know what Matt, David Richard and John H look like- the latter 2 just like they do on the programme.
Joe was very impressed with the whole thing, particularly, and in no special order, the confidence and general niceness of the pupils we spoke to, the band , and the general cleanliness.

Maggie
.... and we never got to meet Maggie !!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Midget!

Post by Angela Woodford »

It was terrific to meet you, Maggie, and your lovely husband Joe! And very interesting to hear about sleeping in those creepy cellars at the end of the War... you too are just as I imagined you! Maggie and Joe have been married for 37 years - hope you don't mind me saying so Maggie? Wonderful! What a super Old Hertfordian you are! With so much wit and energy!

I scanned the lapels of many a gentleman hoping to identify Mr Knight - but no! I'd tried to get to the foot of the Water Tower which he had climbed at midnight, but ended up by the back door of the kitchens, getting funny looks from the washer-upperers. It's a splendid structure, isn't it?

I peered into a building supposing it to be the Library, and this was confirmed by a delightful ?12 year old who was emerging. "If you go to the far end" he said, slipping effortlessly into the role of expert guide, "you'll see the painting of Edward V1 etc etc". So I did. Very interesting!

However, passing two small knot gardens afflicted by box blight, my hands itched for some topiary shears!

Munch
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
John Knight
Deputy Grecian

Post by John Knight »

Angela Woodford wrote:I scanned the lapels of many a gentleman hoping to identify Mr Knight - but no! I'd tried to get to the foot of the Water Tower which he had climbed at midnight, but ended up by the back door of the kitchens, getting funny looks from the washer-upperers. It's a splendid structure, isn't it?
I was looking for you too.... Maybe next time we should have a 'Coffee and Biscuits' meet up for Forum members, at the beginning of the day.
A very enjoyable day, I met quite a few of the members but missed you and J.R. (It seems that I arrived at the Bax just after he left).
I had a look around my old House (Barnes B) - parts of it hardly recognizable since I was there 55 years ago... It looked very smart in the new paint scheme and the 'day room' was really nice.
Will meet up next time.
Mr Knight :) (aka John)
Last edited by John Knight on Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prep B 49 / Barnes B 39 - 1946-1952