From what did you drink your tea when at CH?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Scone Lover
Grecian

Post by Scone Lover »

So did I but nobody warned me what happens when the Guiness barrel goes off did they. It went bl**dy everywhere!
Ruthie-Baby(old a/c)
Button Grecian

Post by Ruthie-Baby(old a/c) »

when you say 'goes off' do you mean with a bang?

how did that happen?
Ruth Tyrrell
Col B 90-97
Scone Lover
Grecian

Post by Scone Lover »

No, there is a lot of gas pressure and if you go to poor a pint when there is nothing but gas and froth in the pipes, well lets just say we were cleaning guiness off the ceiling for days
Ruthie-Baby(old a/c)
Button Grecian

oh

best way is to pour straight out the barrel

unless it explodes when you tap it it'll probably be alright

one of the barrels at the Horsham Beer Festival did that and it was dry hopped and hops burst forth and covered everything within a 10' radius

there are probably still hops on the ceiling of the Drill Hall (but don't tell anyone)
Ruth Tyrrell
Col B 90-97
Scone Lover
Grecian

Post by Scone Lover »

When it goes as the tap goes in, that is reat fun to watch.
Ruthie-Baby(old a/c)
Button Grecian

I didn't get to see the event itself but I worked for two days in the aftermath

i was drinking my beer and then there was a hop in it, yuck, must have fallen off the ceiling

mmm, beer
Ruth Tyrrell
Col B 90-97
Scone Lover
Grecian

Post by Scone Lover »

mmmm Beer that sounds sooo good
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Back to the tea/kiff bowl thread.
This message is being posted by a Technical Idiot who took several digital pictures of it (the bowl won on eBay) and then could not discover how to put them on this Forum. AArrggh.
All I would say is that is does appear bigger than I remember.. I had tried to copy it for you, with it standing in front of Who's Blue 1997 and it almost fills the width (A4 width?) and the rim comes nearly a quarter of the way up the cover (obscuring any script beneath 'The Directory of Former Pupils.......').
Knowing children now who are 9 years old (as was I when I went to Hertford and - ostensibly - began to drink from these bowls) I wonder how ON EARTH we held them, let alone within three fingers.
If someone can help me with the technology I would be very pleased to post pictures. Otherwise come to the Caledonian Old Blues Founder's Day lunch in Perth (reference John Shippen, CHA website) on Saturday and see the Real Thing!
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
Scone Lover
Grecian

Post by Scone Lover »

If you can email me the photo I can try playing with it to put it on here although Ruth is more expert then me
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

kerrensimmonds wrote:Back to the tea/kiff bowl thread.
This message is being posted by a Technical Idiot who took several digital pictures of it (the bowl won on eBay) and then could not discover how to put them on this Forum. AArrggh.
All I would say is that is does appear bigger than I remember.. I had tried to copy it for you, with it standing in front of Who's Blue 1997 and it almost fills the width (A4 width?) and the rim comes nearly a quarter of the way up the cover (obscuring any script beneath 'The Directory of Former Pupils.......').
Knowing children now who are 9 years old (as was I when I went to Hertford and - ostensibly - began to drink from these bowls) I wonder how ON EARTH we held them, let alone within three fingers.
If someone can help me with the technology I would be very pleased to post pictures. Otherwise come to the Caledonian Old Blues Founder's Day lunch in Perth (reference John Shippen, CHA website) on Saturday and see the Real Thing!
I don't think that can be a teabowl then, I have something very similar to how I remember them and it is about half that size in all directions.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Send a note to Simon - he will be able to post it on here!
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Ruthie-Baby(old a/c)
Button Grecian

I can post it if you email it to me - I'll PM you my address

Or get an "official" person to do it for you
Ruth Tyrrell
Col B 90-97
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Scone Lover wrote:If you can email me the photo I can try playing with it to put it on here although Ruth is more expert then me
Could you try posting the photograph first, please Scone ??
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Scone Lover
Grecian

Post by Scone Lover »

If you insist JR
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Ruth has kindly offered to get a picture of the bowl up on the Forum,for me, spo I emailed one to her tonight....
The dimensions are 6" diameter (at the rim) which is approx 15.5 cm., and it is 3" (approx 7.5 cm) high.
If it's too big and is not a kiff/tea bowl, what is it?
Something to be used in the infirmary for the letting of blood, or the storing of leeches before they were applied, or .... what?!
Answers on a postcard please.........no, seriously.............does anyone have any real ideas? Perhaps it IS a Hertford tea bowl, and my memory is playing me false (do things get bigger or smaller as one gets older?).
Either way it will still go with me to Scotland on Saturday for the Caledonian Old Blues Founder's Day Lunch.
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966