New Deps

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

blondie95 wrote:i know well someone from team went up if they made themselves but with someone from the school team in that house.
.... er ..... yes, Amy. I'm sure ..............

?????
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
Hannoir
Deputy Grecian

Post by Hannoir »

blondie95 wrote:But Hannah, you contributed musically, I felt that by not being involved in these area i was less of a student, despite doing many other things.
True true. But you contributed to my life at CH, by dancing lots! And tea. And yeah.
"All I need to be happy is a little house with a small yard, a white-picket fence, some trees in the yard, and some of my enemies hanging on the trees."

-Poet, Heinrich Heine

BA/GrE 00-02
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

ah thanks hannah, you contributed to mine too, cups of tea, funny shaped pasta, lots of dancing and getting up to mischief on a Saturday night!!!!

Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

blondie95 wrote:i know well someone from team went up if they made themselves but with someone from the school team in that house.
I know exactly what you mean Amy - it saddens me a little that the "sportsmen" always automatically seem to get to accept the award - (as if they don`t get chance to shake the Head`s hand on other occasions!) and I think it would be so much better if a non-squad member of the house - or, better still, ALL members of the winnning house team were to collect the award. After all, House competitions are supposed to be a TEAM effort , aren`t they?! And as such, surely each member of the team is entitled to bask in the glory of winning , if they so wish?

Every pupil in the school is of value in their own way. Unfortunately there will always be those who are more prominent, be it for good - or bad- reasons.

I wish I could remember what the Head said at the recent GE Parents Meeting/Prize-giving, because the message he was trying to put over to parents was that even though only a few will receive academic prizes, there are very many who contribute to the life of the school in other ways, whether that be in public (Comm Serv., D of E , Scouts, Music etc) or privately (in House, lessons etc) who are just as deserving of congratulations for what they are doing.
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Re: New Deps

Post by Mrs C. »

Jeeves wrote:I personally didn't want to join the orchestra or choir, but was constantly pressurized to rejoin (I had experienced both at the junior end of the school). My singing lessons were ended when I refused to join the choir (I still can't see the logic in that) .
I think it`s totally unreasonable to force someone into joining choir , orchestra, band, whatever, just because they are having lessons. It may well be that the individual has a valid reason for not wanting to - encouragement is maybe needed, not force. And certainly not the threat of withdrawing lessons.
The school prides itself on giving opportunities to pupils which they otherwise might not get , and should accept that the "return" is not necessarily going to be everyone performing for the school. Surely if someone wants to learn an instrument or sing, they should be allowed to do so to whatever level without hassle from the department to perform?
Why does the school have the right to withdraw lessons against wishes of parents? I can understand it if the pupil is clearly a no-hoper, in which case the suggestion of suspension of lessons should be made, but where pupils clearly enjoy and benefit from the lessons - where`s the "giving " nature of the school then?? The department should be only too pleased that yet another person is benefiting from its expertise.

Another soapbox issue, I`m afraid!!
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

glad you understand Mrs C, as for acdemic awards there were those for effot, but they always went to the studnets getting A's as obviously they are only ones giving outstanding effort! Most of them were naturally gifted, those who showed real effort in studies were often those who got lowere grades but always tried to do better
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

DavebytheSea wrote:
.... er ..... yes, Amy. I'm sure ..............

?????
This had me completely stumped too!

Luckily Mrs. C. seems to have done a Linguaphone course in Amyspeak.... :wink:
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

I vaguely knew what she was talking about from her previous post, Richard!! :D
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

blondie95 wrote:glad you understand Mrs C, as for acdemic awards there were those for effot, but they always went to the studnets getting A's as obviously they are only ones giving outstanding effort! Most of them were naturally gifted, those who showed real effort in studies were often those who got lowere grades but always tried to do better
I think Houses reward effort grades with a small token, don`t they?
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

they may do now but when i was there I think juniours got something but not seniors.

Thinking about it all its rather petty, I know my teachers and houseparents/tutors all knew my worth to the school and gave me encouragement and suport all the way, it just fustrates me that the school has a whole has the mentality of to be good you need to be seen doing everything or oopenly contributing