Old Blues Day attendance list

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

Here's the programme of events for the day:-

viewtopic.php?p=55440#55440
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

Well I looked at the list of Ob's and only recognised one name that was during my time at CH- in total there were 4 girls who overlapped me - so I would have been a right fish out of water - the other thing that struck me is that in comparison there are very few Hertford girls coming back as OB's, and more of the the Horsham girls & boys. The Boys still out number us gals by a zillion to 1 - but hey we know that boys like to meet up and wave their ties at eachother...... kind of sad that hertford is being gradually forgotten other than by us few in here - Wow - massive amount of history going going gone.....
:cry:
Jude Comber (nee Kelynack) 5's 5.38 1975-1980 Herts.
To Learn - read, to Know - write, to MASTER - Teach
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

I took down an 88 year old Hertford girl who claimed she really enjoyed the day, and certainly I saw other Hertford girls there, so although smaller in number, there was a pretty good representation.
I was pleased to see that there was a good age spread, and despite some feeling that they would not fit in, in my opinion, it all went pretty well, in a relaxed and unobtrusive atmosphere.
We also watched the Beating the Retreat practice, which was far more complicated than in my day.
I thought it was pretty successful day.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

jhopgood wrote:I took down an 88 year old Hertford girl who claimed she really enjoyed the day, and certainly I saw other Hertford girls there, so although smaller in number, there was a pretty good representation.
I was pleased to see that there was a good age spread, and despite some feeling that they would not fit in, in my opinion, it all went pretty well, in a relaxed and unobtrusive atmosphere.
We also watched the Beating the Retreat practice, which was far more complicated than in my day.
I thought it was pretty successful day.
John

You are male! You don't understand how the Hertford group feel - imagine if you had all had to give up Horsham and come and live at the Hertford Campus - you would have HATED it.
i'm glad your friend had a good day.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

I was talking to some friends about the Hertford contingent and many of them were surprised that anyone comes from Hertford as one of my friends said:

"It's like going to a school and having your reunions in another school 150 miles away isn't it?"
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Eruresto
Grecian

Post by Eruresto »

Well, I guess it's simply a case of either in CH, or in Teso...shame there aren't more though.
Joshua Bell: PeA 2002-2008, GrW 2008-9
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Eruresto wrote:Well, I guess it's simply a case of either in CH, or in Teso...shame there aren't more though.
That says it all really.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

englishangel wrote:
Eruresto wrote:Well, I guess it's simply a case of either in CH, or in Teso...shame there aren't more though.
That says it all really.
Is Teso part of the Walmart chain, Mary ??

(I'll fetch me coat !!!)

:oops:
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Had I been able to go yesterday, at least part of the reason would have been to meet friends made on this Forum. I have been to one day there as an OB and it really is not the same as going back to your old school. We have to accept that we no longer have CH Hertford to return to, so we have to make the best of what is left.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

J.R. wrote:
englishangel wrote:
That says it all really.

(I'll fetch me coat !!!)

No dearest - that's ASDA - which once was Associated Dairies - hence AS DA
TesCo is named (as I have spelt it - I can never remember the 1st Jewish guys name - but the Co is from Cohen - ) both Jews who set up to bring things to people from all over - used to be classed as the cheapest place now it's running rings around the other chains - OK OFF TOPIC....

I think we should arrange an CHOGA OB @ Hertford - if only to look at what once our school - at least some of it remains - I went to 2 CHOGA days and went to Horsham as an OB once - I was lost in a sea of ancient old men (sorry guys but it wasn't long after the girls had moved down - about 1989 as Sarah was still tiny) Thankfully I bumped into someone who had been in my year - Leana Liniga-Wannawa - she was from NZ I think - we sat on a blanket I took and chatted - but there were very few gilrs - although Miss Morrison was still around... I think she felt I had failed CH as I had gone from school to nursing to marriage to having children - wonder what she would say now...........

Are the Lime trees still there in Hertford?
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Jude wrote:Well I looked at the list of Ob's and only recognised one name that was during my time at CH- in total there were 4 girls who overlapped me - so I would have been a right fish out of water - the other thing that struck me is that in comparison there are very few Hertford girls coming back as OB's, and more of the the Horsham girls & boys.

4 girls who overlapped you when there were (from memory) 250 girls at Hertford? Given that Horsham had 850 boys there should have been about 14 boys I should have known but in fact there were only 2 on the list including JR who has agreed with me that we don't remember each other from those days! Sorry - I assume Webb was present - he overlapped with me but was still a squit when I left so I would not have known him except by his voice crying Adsum.

Think yourself lucky (and by the way, it's good to see you back!)
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

I met a few whose names I remembered, but that was about it. Much more fun meeting forum members!

Maggie
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

sejintenej wrote:
Jude wrote:Well I looked at the list of Ob's and only recognised one name that was during my time at CH- in total there were 4 girls who overlapped me - so I would have been a right fish out of water - the other thing that struck me is that in comparison there are very few Hertford girls coming back as OB's, and more of the the Horsham girls & boys.

4 girls who overlapped you when there were (from memory) 250 girls at Hertford? Given that Horsham had 850 boys there should have been about 14 boys I should have known but in fact there were only 2 on the list including JR who has agreed with me that we don't remember each other from those days! Sorry - I assume Webb was present - he overlapped with me but was still a squit when I left so I would not have known him except by his voice crying Adsum.

Think yourself lucky (and by the way, it's good to see you back!)
But out of those 4 who overlapped me I only remembered 1 - the others were in the upper 6th so as a junior junior I wouldn't have known them! It does seem tho' as has been said there is a gap from me to say Cathy - where are they all????

hello ello llo lo o o (fades away)
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

Jude wrote:But out of those 4 who overlapped me I only remembered 1 - the others were in the upper 6th so as a junior junior I wouldn't have known them! It does seem tho' as has been said there is a gap from me to say Cathy - where are they all????

hello ello llo lo o o (fades away)

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, interesting. I would have been there with bells on, but to meet Forum Members, several of whom, to my delight are contemporaries from 6s (and earlier, in the case of Munch).

But, big but, 5 or 10 years ago I'm not sure that I would have wanted to attend, and I certainly couldn't have faced returning to Hertford.

I did return to Hertford once: Mary Mc and I visited at the end of Christmas Term 1972. I had left the school 2.5 years earlier, but the moment I stepped through the gates the old feelings of oppression and despair overtook me. Now that I've finally grown up I am keen to return and lay some ghosts to rest, but suspect that I will end up feeling frustrated at leaving it until after the Tesco desecration.

It seems that all the history and tradition left Hertford with the boys, and while they had the distinctive uniform, band, and traditions, we were merely a bunch of drably dressed misfits caught in a time warp.

Four or so of us (Mary Mc, Diana Granham, Judith Points and myself I think - input, please, Mary) once tested the belief that we, as children of the City, could gain free access to City monuments. Clad in our blue winter coats, and, possibly, with velours in hand, we tried Tower Bridge, maybe The Tower, and got sent on our way. I'm betting that if the boys had turned up in full uniform they would not have been asked for an entrance fee. Did anyone ever try this?

As for the Hertford era disappearing from CH's history - surely we are the ones to stop this happening? If anyone other than us actually gives a toss :(
Caroline Payne (nee Barrett)
Hertford 6.20 1965-70

Adelaide, dear Adelaide; where the water is foul, but the wines more than make up for it.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

J.R. wrote:
englishangel wrote:
That says it all really.

(I'll fetch me coat !!!)

Just noticed this, it wasn't me who put Teso, I just quoted.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"