Life after the taps run dry

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, and is NON CH related - chat about the weather, or anything else that takes your fancy.

Moderator: Moderators

ben ashton
Grecian

Life after the taps run dry

Post by ben ashton »

Clicky

"Welcome to a world where an ordinary cup of tea is a precious commodity" :D Already is!

Anyone effected?
Cherish pity; lest you drive an angel from your door

LaB 1, MidB 40, 97-02
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Re: Life after the taps run dry

Post by Mid A 15 »

ben ashton wrote:Clicky

"Welcome to a world where an ordinary cup of tea is a precious commodity" :D Already is!

Anyone effected?
Jude might be affected. Although if memory serves me right Stonehouse is not that low lying.

I guess her water supply could still be affected though.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

I was worried about Jude. Mary V says she's not in the badly affected areas. I do hope she's OK.

Are you there, Jude?

Love,

Munch
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I have emailed her and will get back on here as soon as she replies.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

Don't the Brits just love a crisis? Look on the bright side, England, it could be worse. Can't help remembering the tsunami.
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

email from Jude. At the moment her house is dry, but plenty of water outside. She has moved everything precious upstairs. She did have a horrendous journey back from Leeds, hours and hours on the M5.
Maggie
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
kayinbaja
3rd Former

water water everywhere

Post by kayinbaja »

Having not lived in England for 14 years, I was made quite homesick when I came across this in the Guardian;

"The staff from the Anchor pub in Upton upon Severn were making the best of a bad job yesterday afternoon. Smelly brown water lapped halfway up the bar, but they had set out a row of chairs on the high street and were sipping pink champagne rescued from the flooded cellar.

"What can you do? You can either sob or try to enjoy the spectacle," said the licensee, Jonathan Butler. "We came here in September last year after they told us the Anchor never flooded. We've spent £200,000 refurbishing it and, no, we haven't got insurance. Can't get it. So we're having a drink today and we'll worry about everything later."

(And, believe me, I've was at Hertford in the 60s, I know how it feels to be homesick.)
ben ashton
Grecian

Post by ben ashton »

Cherish pity; lest you drive an angel from your door

LaB 1, MidB 40, 97-02
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Re: water water everywhere

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

kayinbaja wrote:Having not lived in England for 14 years, I was made quite homesick when I came across this in the Guardian;

"What can you do? You can either sob or try to enjoy the spectacle,"
I love this attitude :) I almost sobbed with frustration while watching the news reports of the post Katrina devastation ................... You know, I'm truly sorry that you and your children are sitting next to a corpse, but why don't you accept that the cavalry isn't coming, get off your a%se, and remove the deceased to a designated area?

Starting to hyperventilate here :( as I also recall a post tsunami report - shots of locals diligently clearing debris from the beach while two german tourists lay on loungers enjoying their holiday. Grrrrrrrrrrrr.

Chin up guys - I'm sure that we'll all be back in drought conditions within a few short months.

xx
Caroline Payne (nee Barrett)
Hertford 6.20 1965-70

Adelaide, dear Adelaide; where the water is foul, but the wines more than make up for it.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

icomefromalanddownunder wrote:
kayinbaja wrote:Having not lived in England for 14 years, I was made quite homesick when I came across this in the Guardian;

"What can you do? You can either sob or try to enjoy the spectacle,"

Chin up guys - I'm sure that we'll all be back in drought conditions within a few short months.

xx
To think that there were hosepipe bans until 4 months ago and then you got that record breaking hot dry spell in April when Bridlington was the hottest place in Europe.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

sejintenej wrote:To think that there were hosepipe bans until 4 months ago and then you got that record breaking hot dry spell in April when Bridlington was the hottest place in Europe.
We are still under water restrictions. It has been pi%%ing it down for several weeks now, but our State Government made it very clear that as of 1 July we may not water our gardens with anything other than a watering can or bucket. Personally, I think that anyone caught watering their gardens in this weather should have said gardens surgically removed.
Caroline Payne (nee Barrett)
Hertford 6.20 1965-70

Adelaide, dear Adelaide; where the water is foul, but the wines more than make up for it.