What do I need to do to visit these days?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

cstegerlewis
Deputy Grecian

What do I need to do to visit these days?

Post by cstegerlewis »

I am in the Horsham area on Sunday, driving back from the south coast, and wondered what the rules are on getting in nowadays? Last time I did it 15 years ago I just went through Peele Gates and drove up the avenue, around Bigside, along the back av and then out by Doctor's Lake, several people waved and said hi, but no one challenged me.

I guess it is a bit more strict these days? :? I might even get out of the car this time :!:
Craig Steger-Lewis
Ba.B 25, Mid B 25, Mid A42
1982-1989
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

The Peele gate is usually shut these days although you can ring the bell on the gate and chat to security. If you have an acceptable reason for entry, the gate will swing open - so far I have not experienced problems.

The main entrance is now the north gate (the back entrance of yore - much less impressive than the glorious Avenue from the east gate). This entrance has one of those electronic lifting poles just by the security hut where you should report on entry. However, the car park can be accessed just before this gate without troubling security and is the normal place to leave the car and alight (it is where the old cinder track used to be).

I think the correct thing to do would be to ring the school office to give notice of your intended visit. Then, on arrival, park the car in the car park and then advise security that you are on site with permission. The CHA club room has now been restored to our use (at least temporarily) and, if she is in the office, Wendy Killner will give all Old Blues a warm welcome.

Above all, you should remember that in this day and age, child protection and security are prominent issues. While I always make free use of the chapel and usually peep into Dining Hall, one should remember that the Houses should only be entered by invitation.

I hope you enjoy your visit - I always do :)
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
cstegerlewis
Deputy Grecian

Post by cstegerlewis »

Thanks Dave, I will give them a call this afternoon. Does this mean I cannot take my car in?

BTW, where is the CHA room?
Craig Steger-Lewis
1982-1989
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

You can park in the main car park - no problem. Approach from the northgate - you turn in to the car park just before the security gate.

The Club Room is on the east side of Dining Hall at the back next to the kitchens. Access it from between Lamb A and the Dining Hall, go round the newish Counting House extension and you will see a small door facing you with the CHA logo etc. As you go in the door, Wendy's office is on the right and the clubroom on the left. There is also a small loo on the left just as you go in - a useful bit of local knowledge!

School Office number is 01403 247433
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Being heavily involved with youth football, (girls), I fully appreciate the security measures needed in this day and age.

I once suggested that any OB who lived locally should apply for and receive some form of photo identity card so that an impromptu visit when passing would not cause problems with CH Security.

Does any other local OB's have any views on this subject ?
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
cstegerlewis
Deputy Grecian

Post by cstegerlewis »

Hmmmm :? Not a particularly successful visit.

Rang on Saturday morning, introduced myself as an Old Blue, and TBH received very short shrift from the office, who I have to say were most unhelpful, other than saying you will have to 'negotiate' with security when you arrive.

Got there Sunday mid afternoon, found the security hut (locked) rang the number on the door (marked 'please be patient you will be answered') to receive no answer and diversion (eventually) to a mobile answering service. Tried again after a couple of minutes but without success.

There were barriers open to the western back av, and therefore into the whole school, and I could have probably just driven in. But I chose not to as there is obviously an attempt to keep the pupils secure (although driving a bright orange land rover is quite distinctive and unsubtle).

But what really gets my goat is the school think nothing of calling me twice a year asking me for money, but basically made me feel unwelcome to visit. I will try again in a few months, but not impressed. if any CHA board members want to take this forward, then PM and I will give you the details.
Craig Steger-Lewis
1982-1989
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

Hi

I am a Board Member and I feel to some extent responsible as it was I that encouraged you to do what I felt to be the right and courteous thing. Please give me the details by PM; I will certainly raise it at the Board Meeting although, to be honest, I suspect that I may well be told that this is not part of the Board's remit.

However, rest assured. if the Board can do nothing, I will do my best to ensure that this does not happen as a matter of course. There can be no excuse for discourtesy - especially when you were putting yourself to some inconvenience in doing the sensible and proper thing. As you say, you could have said nothing, and wandered about the school at will, and nobody any the wiser - this is surely not something to be encouraged.

I will certainly take this up with representatives from the school, and it is my hope that I shall meet the new Headmaster at our meeting in November.
cstegerlewis
Deputy Grecian

Post by cstegerlewis »

Thanks Dave - I will drop you a PM or email

having written my note earlier, I am actually also quite shocked that there was no security cover at all - do dodgy people not approach boarding schools on Sunday afternoons?
Craig Steger-Lewis
1982-1989
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

J.R. wrote:Being heavily involved with youth football, (girls), I fully appreciate the security measures needed in this day and age.

I once suggested that any OB who lived locally should apply for and receive some form of photo identity card so that an impromptu visit when passing would not cause problems with CH Security.

Does any other local OB's have any views on this subject ?
DAVID:

I refer you to my post earlier. I've heard from some other OB's who are rapidly gaining the impression that once you have left the hallowed halls, you become 'persona non grata' as far as the school office is concerned !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Momto2
Deputy Grecian

Post by Momto2 »

As an existing parent the lack of security worries me considerably.
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

I am confident the matter is now being addressed.

As a (only just) past parent, I think you can every confidence that the nature of the school community is such that ,in practice, security is rather better than a cursory glance might suggest. However, as I said above, I do know that the whole matter of security is currently under review (it always is!), and I hope we may get some helpful guidance soon on the correct procedure for OBs to adopt should they wish to visit the school for any reason.

Thanks J.R. for your idea - it will certainly be considered, I'm sure.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

DavebytheSea wrote:I am confident the matter is now being addressed.

As a (only just) past parent, I think you can every confidence that the nature of the school community is such that ,in practice, security is rather better than a cursory glance might suggest. However, as I said above, I do know that the whole matter of security is currently under review (it always is!), and I hope we may get some helpful guidance soon on the correct procedure for OBs to adopt should they wish to visit the school for any reason.

Although some other things might have changed but I suspect that even in JR's and my times if someone of ill intent had gained access to the schol grounds then the boys themselves would have joined forces to frustrate the intentions. You have to remember that in that environment there can be a pack instinct; the same as a football crowd or local gang but intent on more desirable actions
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

Exactly!
cstegerlewis
Deputy Grecian

Post by cstegerlewis »

sejintenej wrote:
DavebytheSea wrote:I am confident the matter is now being addressed.

Although some other things might have changed but I suspect that even in JR's and my times if someone of ill intent had gained access to the schol grounds then the boys themselves would have joined forces to frustrate the intentions. You have to remember that in that environment there can be a pack instinct; the same as a football crowd or local gang but intent on more desirable actions
I agree as well - BUT - the school has decided to adopt an overt security policy rather than a covert, informal one depending on the community to look out for each other. For that to not be in place is a worry.

DBTS - will write PM later, just off to badminton :P
Craig Steger-Lewis
1982-1989
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

cstegerlewis wrote:
I agree as well - BUT - the school has decided to adopt an overt security policy rather than a covert, informal one depending on the community to look out for each other. For that to not be in place is a worry.
...... and generally speaking it is in place, though clearly the current review will consider any weaknesses in the system