Favourite teacher

Share your memories and stories from your days at school, and find out the truth behind the rumours....Remember the teachers and pupils, tell us who you remember and why...

Moderator: Moderators

menace2
2nd Former

Re: Favourite teacher

Post by menace2 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:12 pm

Michael, I am afraid I must disagree with your assessment of Macnutt. I had the good fortune of only seeing him in the classroom - I was in MaA. After 4 years of his tutelage - and being referred to as "an animated waste paper basket" - I can assure you that his classes were rigorously analytical and stylistic. No rote with "Fat" Macnutt. His infamous composition pieces (beautifully printed) demanded a lot more than rote and he marked on far more than "rules". Of course it does not mitigate his faults in other areas of conduct, and I am grateful I did not have to deal with those.

A propos of nothing - I do remember other greatly influential teachers of my time such as Jesson-Dibley, Tim Law, and several others from that era already mentioned in this thread. It was a very difficult transitional period for CH, I saw the end of HLOFlecker and the start of CME Seaman. The latter I got to know quite well, and developed a late respect for him. It is reassuring for such as I to see how far the place has come.

Who remembers the article in the Blue written by the Griffin twins in PeA, then run by the notorious Beavan? Ending in the mythical quote "Brightest lamp of our declining years, burgeoning ever verdant" - still cannot fathom how they got that past the editorial board.

michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:24 pm

Were you a classicist, Pat? If so, I daresay quite different criteria apply. I only had Macnutt in my UF year, where I'm afraid it was just learning rules and reading Res Gestae (and bits of the Aeneid).

I had considerable respect for Seaman, though he couldn't really come to terms with the 60s.
Th.B. 27 1955-63

menace2
2nd Former

Post by menace2 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:52 am

Yes classics and one of his fortunate scholars