Best wishes to all the new second form

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

dinahcat
Deputy Grecian

Re: Best wishes to all the new second form

Post by dinahcat »

At this moment I consider myself to be insane for even contemplating it but I'm going to be like Scarlett O Hara and 'think about it tomorrow'. I didn't have this trouble with the others because my eldest went into the Third Form so I was spared The Dining Hall Experience. My son went three days later and catatonia had set in by then so I was OK. They also had each other and I had one still at home. Now I see how hard it is for people with one child or those with a last child going. Hmm another lesson for me. Don't be smug.What a self improving day I have had.
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

Wanna share my username? We need a therapy thread, don't we? :lol:
lonelymom :rolleyes:
dinahcat
Deputy Grecian

Post by dinahcat »

Or a moaning thread.. or have we got that any way?
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

:lol:
ReallyMissingHer
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by ReallyMissingHer »

It brings all the memories flooding back.

Fortunately/Unfortunately I don't think my younger ones will go to CH although my just 4 year old keeps telling me that she's going to "borbing cool" when she's big (she has speech delay) I'm not even sure I'm ready for her to start reception next week.

Copious amounts of wine all around I reckon.
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

i hope they`ll come and say hello to me in tuckshop!!

and don`t worry - they`ll be fine!

Honestly!!
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

Well YadaYada and Dinahcat (and any other new parents), how did the first night go? Did you, as I did, sleep cuddling the pj top they wore the night before? :oops: I hope you managed to get some sleep. It's definitely the no-contact that is hardest :(
Momto2
Deputy Grecian

Post by Momto2 »

Oh, I have just read through your posts from last night ladies and I now have a huge lump in my throat; I remember only too well how awful those first days/weeks were and even after all these years it's very hard to say goodbye. The fab thing now though, is that my children are so happy to go back and yours will be too.

I spoke to my daughter's housemistress this morning on a completely unrelated matter and did ask how her little new second formers had got on. She said they were all absolutely fine and slept very well indeed but that she had spent a long time last night punching new holes into their girdle belt things as they were all so tiny ... bless :)

The leave weekend times have changed again, I think because of the restructuring of lesson times slightly. The juniors finish at 2.15pm and the seniors at 3.15pm and this seems to be the same for all the leave weekends this term.
ailurophile
Deputy Grecian

Post by ailurophile »

YadaYada wrote
Thought it was hideous; really horrible. Did Mr Franklin really need to remind us and them that they were now going to spend mroe time at school than at home? That really set us both off. My boy was all red eyed and teary by the time it came for me to go. Felt absolutely terrible. Is a long drive home for me (nearly 3 hours) - hope that is the last time I have to do it through a haze of tears.

Thought the leave weekend began at 2.15 on the Friday 25th? Where did you get 12.30 from Lonelymom? Can't come soon enough for me though
Oh dear, poor you! I do think Mr F could be a little more sensitive and 'parent-friendly' on these difficult occasions! I remember when my eldest started at CH I sat down and calculated exactly how many days a year he'd be spending at home, and it works out (how geeky is this?!) at 45% of their time - nearly half!! Hold that thought.

This first couple of weeks is a horrible time, but you will get through it and it does get easier. You should get plenty of reassuring calls from your house parent. The 'no contact' rule seems harsh, but it is for the best: I recall that about two days before the first leave weekend our son's housemaster finally let all the second form phone home as a 'treat' for being good - turned out to be a terrible idea, everyone was in floods of tears, boys and mums alike!!

I have to say I'm rather pleased that the leave weekend pick up for juniors has gone back to a later time - 12.30 meant one of us having to take most of the day off work rather than just the afternoon, and we do try to save our annual leave days to spend with the boys in the long school holidays. Also I've now got one in the GE, so I guess 'junior' is going to have to hang around until 3.15 anyway!!
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Leave Weekends :?: :!:

When I was young it was leave days and metal beds with boards and no springs.

The youth of today don't know they're born blah, blah, blah...

*Shakes head exits and joins JR and Neill in the box* :wink:
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

Mid A 15 wrote:Leave Weekends :?: :!:

:lol: I'm sure they'll be only too pleased to have you!
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

We had horsehair mattresses, ditto pillow (one only), and I had to learn how to get dressed under a white calico short-sleeved "nightdress" contraption that just had a v-neck, no fastenings. Got in rather a muddle the first few mornings - the bell tolled at 7am & we had to be up, washed & dressed & in the dayroom for prayers by 7.15! Then the mystery of "hospital corners"...I can still do those, though! Eternal gratitude to Hertford.... :o
Jade
3rd Former

Post by Jade »

On that note, my DS's mattress seemed like the springs were sticking through. I'm worried he won't sleep very well on it. Do parents ever provide mattress toppers?
Jade
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

lonelymom wrote:

:lol: I'm sure they'll be only too pleased to have you!

Welcome to the Box !

On the Peter Andre question. He and that C0w KP, aka Jordan, aka Reality star wannabe originally lived at Ockley, a quaint village on the A.29 south of Dorking, before moving out before splitting up after PA had promoted her rise to fame.

PA is often seen in this area and I'm told by people who have met him say he is the complete gentleman, unlike the social qualities exhibited by the afore-mentioned Ladeee !

Incidently, the Boars Head is known to locals as the Whores Bed. Makes yer fink, dunnit ?
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Oh so many memories here - no I didn't go to Horsham but my two went to boarding school. I brought Jeremy, aged 8, back from Borneo, leaving his Dad and brother there. One thing his school did better was the final farewell - they were all taken to the swimming pool and we were told to go while they were swimming. This meant no tearful hug - just tears! My sister in law had gone with me, as she was the UK Guardian and also to drive back - I wouldn't have been able to see to drive.

Yes the tears will come at times - when you see happy families together etc, but it does get better and in my case the boys thrived on it, with very few hiccups!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965