Anxious parents

Area for current parents, past parents and future parents of Blues or Old Blues.

Moderator: Moderators

YadaYada
Deputy Grecian

Re: Anxious parents

Post by YadaYada »

Tesco at Broadbridge Heath or occasionally Mcdonalds down the A24 is where we normally go. Not very glam I'm afraid!
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

Yes, I meant Broadbridge Heath - can't imagine why I said Southwater, but it was a long time ago!
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
proudmum
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by proudmum »

' The Boar's Head ' on the corner to CH is very good. When my daughter started last year apparently Peter Andre was there on that wednesday! Absolutely gutted that we didn't go there that day, had early lunch at home instead as we only live about an hour away. I seem to remember though once your daughter has got her uniform and all formalities in house have been gone through, you will be going to the dining hall where nibbles are provided. Wishing you and your daughter all the best for the beginning of a fantastic journey and life at CH. I can't believe that this is my daughters 2nd year there, and OMG she loves everything about it. Yesterday, when I took her back she was so happy and skipping around like a little girl and couldn't get shot of me quick enough so that she could catch up with all her friends!
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

proudmum wrote:' The Boar's Head ' on the corner to CH is very good. When my daughter started last year apparently Peter Andre was there on that wednesday!
He was :D and we my daughter and her friends went to say hello :D and he's gorgeous!

The Boar's Head has recently re-opened, having been shut for a few months. It's been refurbished so it should be all new and shiny inside. If they still have the same chef then yes, the food is very good and very reasonably priced.
lonelymom :rolleyes:
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

And the Bax Castle?
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

The Boar`s has been advertising Rare steak, rabbit terrine, lobster, scallops.. to give you an idea of their menu - not really my cup of tea but haven`t been in (EVER!!)
The Bax was ok last time I went - fairly standard pub grub.
There are lots of places in town - bagels in Waterstones (my Fave!) Subway, Pizza Express, McDonalds, and the standard coffee shops like Costa and Starbucks. Tesco has a Costa now but Sainsburys has a small cafe.
The cafe in Bluecoats might even be open!
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Fjgrogan wrote:I don't suppose the cafeteria at Tesco at Southwater would count? That's what we used to do on visiting days - and use up a load of Clubcard vouchers in the process!!
When did Kirri leave?, Clubcards only started in 1994, our 3 local Tescos were used for the trial.

And Wicked Witch, you are a cheeky madam. :lol: :lol: :lol:

At Hertford we used to go to a teashop called Christine's. Last year when we had the Hertford reunion we wondered if it was still there, turned a corner and there it was, now an Indian restaurant, though it looks exactly as we remembered it.

"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Mrs C. wrote:The Boar`s has been advertising Rare steak, rabbit terrine, lobster, scallops.. to give you an idea of their menu - not really my cup of tea but haven`t been in (EVER!!)
There are lots of places in town - bagels in Waterstones (my Fave!) Subway, Pizza Express, McDonalds, and the standard coffee shops like Costa and Starbucks. Tesco has a Costa now but Sainsburys has a small cafe.

............. and you HAVE been know to frequent certain hostelries purveying alcoholic beverages, when in the company of certain OB's !!

:oops:
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
YadaYada
Deputy Grecian

Post by YadaYada »

Good luck to all the new families starting tomorrow. I know my Third Former is very excited about the new intake arriving and I will be thinking of you all tomorrow. A strange day - stomach-churning mixture of pride, anxiety and, later on, sadness. I do feel better this year though (a bit!).

Good luck all. :)
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

Englishangel, you are absolutely right. The occasion when we used the clubcard points was actually an Old Blues' Day! Going back to Hertford, though, I remember Christine's - it was just not our kind of place and far too expensive, especially with two younger sibings in tow! There used to be a list of places which were considered suitable for us to use on Long Saturdays, which included Christine's (a bit olde-worldy tea shoppe!), but definitely not the place we discovered which was more like a lorry driver's place. It was near St Andrew's church and I remember we used to peer up and down the road first to make sure we were not observed before ducking quickly inside. The food was great and inexpensive, and the owners had a dog which my father described as a 'cross between Shepherd's Bush and a doormat'! - what would Elfin Safety have made of that, I wonder?
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
wickedwitch
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by wickedwitch »

we're packed. she's asleep. now what!
wide awake on the edge of the world
dinahcat
Deputy Grecian

Post by dinahcat »

:wine:
wickedwitch
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by wickedwitch »

lol :D finishing washing up and rereading the guide for parents of second formers. Glass of ale then bed i think. see some of you on the morrow x
wide awake on the edge of the world
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

J.R. wrote:
Mrs C. wrote:The Boar`s has been advertising Rare steak, rabbit terrine, lobster, scallops.. to give you an idea of their menu - not really my cup of tea but haven`t been in (EVER!!)

............. and you HAVE been know to frequent certain hostelries purveying alcoholic beverages, when in the company of certain OB's !!

:oops:
this is true........
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
CHDad
Deputy Grecian

Post by CHDad »

Well it was much better than I had feared. D.S was upset last night and I was dreading him being in the same state this morning. However he woke up excited and after a morning of pacing the house and final packing we set off. As soon as we walked across the C.H site it all felt "right". D.S had a big excited grin on his face and we were so proud when he donned his new uniform.

We were dreading saying goodbye but D.S semed so happy it was easy.

I am sure he will have his "wobbles" (so will we) over the next few days especially at bedtime but hopefully he will settle in quickly. His house master just telephoned to say he was fine so I can go to bed now and relax! :D