Why is there a word censor/swear-filter on the site?

START HERE:- New to the forum? Look here for info on what it's all about. We've got lots of users, some regular and some occassional, so if you're not sure how to join in then here's where to start.

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
jtaylor
Forum Administrator
Posts: 1646
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 12:32 am
Real Name: Julian Taylor-Gadd
Location: Wantage, OXON
Contact:

Why is there a word censor/swear-filter on the site?

Post by jtaylor » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:50 pm

We're all adults, after all!!

The swear-word censor is there to prevent pages getting filtered by some of the filters out there - i.e. if the word is censored BEFORE it gets to the person's own machine, their local censor shouldn't prevent the whole page from being displayed.

This ensures that people behind company filters/censors etc. can still view the forum.

So don't worry, I'm not trying to nanny-state the more sensitive readers out there, actually it's using censors to subvert the censors!!

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Image
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
http://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.

User avatar
J.R.
Forum Moderator
Posts: 14808
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:53 pm
Real Name: John Rutley
Location: Dorking, Surrey

Re: Why is there a word censor/swear-filter on the site?

Post by J.R. » Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:59 pm

jtaylor wrote:We're all adults, after all!!

The swear-word censor is there to prevent pages getting filtered by some of the filters out there - i.e. if the word is censored BEFORE it gets to the person's own machine, their local censor shouldn't prevent the whole page from being displayed.

This ensures that people behind company filters/censors etc. can still view the forum.

So don't worry, I'm not trying to nanny-state the more sensitive readers out there, actually it's using censors to subvert the censors!!

J
Fank Thuck for that !!!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.

User avatar
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian
Posts: 3120
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:08 pm
Real Name: Richard Ruck
Location: Horsham

Post by Richard Ruck » Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:07 pm

Or, as Billy Connolly once suggested, perhaps PHUQ might be an appropriate spelling for us well-educated, public-school types......

Or, Father Ted - style, FECK!
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?

Euterpe13
Button Grecian
Posts: 1287
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:55 pm
Real Name: Barbara Borgars
Location: close de Saffend

Post by Euterpe13 » Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:46 pm

What happens if we swear in another language ? (being as how we're all so well-educated and that ) - can we be crude/ gross/ pornographic as long as it's not in english ?

Just being subversive here...
B :P

UserRequestedRemoval
Button Grecian
Posts: 1771
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:48 pm
Real Name: User Removed Account

Post by UserRequestedRemoval » Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:29 am

Richard Ruck wrote:Or, as Billy Connolly once suggested, perhaps PHUQ might be an appropriate spelling for us well-educated, public-school types......

Or, Father Ted - style, FECK!
Interesting idea, a dictionary of alternative swear word spellings.

Vonny
Button Grecian
Posts: 1624
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:33 pm
Real Name: Yvonne Payne

Post by Vonny » Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:02 pm

Richard Ruck wrote:Or, Father Ted - style, FECK!
That one along with "Fook" seems very popolar on other forums I've been on!
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41

UserRequestedRemoval
Button Grecian
Posts: 1771
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:48 pm
Real Name: User Removed Account

Post by UserRequestedRemoval » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:28 pm

Euterpe13 wrote:What happens if we swear in another language ? (being as how we're all so well-educated and that ) - can we be crude/ gross/ pornographic as long as it's not in english ?

Just being subversive here...
B :P
Does that mean we would be in for a load of Spanish expletives?

Cato
2nd Former
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:55 pm
Real Name: Quello stava dicendo a

Post by Cato » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:12 pm

Umm hello everyone, first time here so do let me know if I say anything wrong but how about

fcuk or is that too dodgy?

User avatar
cj
Button Grecian
Posts: 1738
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:35 pm
Real Name: Catherine Standing
Location: Devon

Post by cj » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:26 pm

I think that's a fcuking marvellous idea, Cato.
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.

User avatar
kayinbaja
3rd Former
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 10:47 pm
Real Name: kay scorah
Location: mexico/ireland

Father Ted

Post by kayinbaja » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:24 pm

Strictly speaking, feck in irish means to steal or to throw. But no-one seems to stealing know that, so I don't think we should throwing care about it either.

User avatar
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian
Posts: 1787
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:30 pm
Real Name: Phil Underwood
Location: Thailand

Re: Father Ted

Post by Ajarn Philip » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:56 am

kayinbaja wrote:Strictly speaking, feck in irish means to steal or to throw. But no-one seems to stealing know that, so I don't think we should throwing care about it either.
Chuck that!
I know exactly what words I am wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiffsquiddled around

Phil Underwood Ma A Col A Mid B 68-75

Cato
2nd Former
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:55 pm
Real Name: Quello stava dicendo a

Post by Cato » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:33 pm

Erm...In what sense are we talking chuck?

Sincere hopes that it is not the pavement and pizza type!

User avatar
cj
Button Grecian
Posts: 1738
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:35 pm
Real Name: Catherine Standing
Location: Devon

Re: Father Ted

Post by cj » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:39 pm

Ajarn Philip wrote:
kayinbaja wrote:Strictly speaking, feck in irish means to steal or to throw. But no-one seems to stealing know that, so I don't think we should throwing care about it either.
Chuck that!
It's a lobbing disgrace.
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.

Cato
2nd Former
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:55 pm
Real Name: Quello stava dicendo a

Post by Cato » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:51 pm

Hang on a minute, many moons ago I was playing in a tournament when a member of the opposing team got a rather juicy shot in the gentleman's area. He yelled out at the top of his now high pitched voice..."Oh feck, my b*lls!" If feck means to steal in Ireland, does that mean that he was acually saying someone had stollen his prized assets?

User avatar
cj
Button Grecian
Posts: 1738
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:35 pm
Real Name: Catherine Standing
Location: Devon

Post by cj » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:40 pm

Ouch ...
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests