CH Trivia

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Like that is where we all work.

Has anyone here been head hunted, or work for a city institution?

(B, I know about J)

Are we a representative sample?

Of the posters here, there seem to be a high proportion of ex-pats, are you all homewsick?

When I was emailing the women on the Hertford FRU site I looked at some profiles.

A lot in the 'caring' professions as I said somewhere else, and a lot who had their own businesses.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

englishangel wrote:Like that is where we all work.

Has anyone here been head hunted, or work for a city institution?

(B, I know about J)

Are we a representative sample?

Of the posters here, there seem to be a high proportion of ex-pats, are you all homewsick?

When I was emailing the women on the Hertford FRU site I looked at some profiles.

A lot in the 'caring' professions as I said somewhere else, and a lot who had their own businesses.
Only headhunted for TYCO ( not recommended...), expat since 1972 , not homesick ever since home is wherever I am ! Used to miss silly things like Bisto & Shiphams pastes, but you can buy them everywhere these days. The UK is a nice place to visit from time to time , but I wouldn't ever want to live there again.

I also noticed the high % of " caring" and "paramedicals" - wonder why that is ?
B.
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Euterpe13 wrote:Only headhunted for TYCO ( not recommended...), expat since 1972 , not homesick ever since home is wherever I am ! Used to miss silly things like Bisto & Shiphams pastes, but you can buy them everywhere these days. The UK is a nice place to visit from time to time , but I wouldn't ever want to live there again.

I also noticed the high % of " caring" and "paramedicals" - wonder why that is ?
B.
When I lived in US for 4 years we let our house furnished and one day I went into a furniture store and saw 'our' sofas. The only time I was homesick :roll:

'Caring' and 'paramedicals', a reaction to CH?

I did come across a male OB who was a nurse. I was deputy manager at a Cheshire Home and welcomed him as an agency nurse. I was wearing a polo shirt with a Housey boy on it and he said 'I went to school there'
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

shoz wrote:
Richard Ruck wrote:Do you mean 'The Old Blue' or 'The Blue'?

To receive 'The Old Blue', you'll have to be a member of the C.H. Association.

I quote from the C.H.A. site :

CHA Membership

"Several people have asked, What constitutes a member of the CH Association? Life membership is automatic and free of charge. This applies whether you were here for 7 days, 7 years or longer. The Association is open to all former Club members, all Old Blues, and all past and present Governors and staff". (My italics).

'The Blue' is going to be a magazine produced by and aimed at the school community itself. It will, however, be available to Old Blues who have elected to pay to receive it.

So, neither publication, in the normal course of events, will be available to the general public.

All the contact details are contained in the links provided by Mid A 15, so you could always try a direct approach to the people concerned.

Re. books - what exactly are you looking for? Something written by a pupil or a member of staff, perhaps? And how contemporary do you want it?

What do you really need to know that you cannot glean from this forum and from the other C.H. related websites? It seems to me that C.H. life, past and present, is pretty much laid out for all to see.........
Well, judging by your reply it would have to be 'The Blue' as I could never qualify for membership of CHA. I could contact the school and see if they would add me to their subscription lists. Surely if I am willing to pay there should be no reason why I can't get hold of a copy or two.

I know that all manner of information is available from this site and it has proved very informative. I feel as if I have made some friends and have even corresponded via snail mail with certain people who have been nothing more than extremely helpful.
As for the book, I doubt if a pupil currently attending CH has written such a thing. I know past pupils have but from how long ago? That was my reason to ask for a contemporary account of life at CH. This site is brilliant at, dare I say, the older stuff, but what about today's? Even you must admit there have been queries on here that were unanswerable by anyone other than someone currently attending the school.

shoz-
honestly - if you want the information that isn't biased to or against the school, you are best in here - at least everyone has been through the process(you excluded) and everyone of us may have some similarities regarding experience, but every pewrson that goes through the CH system has seen it in their own unique way - I have lots of crappy bad feelings about CH - but I also have had the most amazing experiences that most in their life would never had even the slightest chance of doing - example - singing in ST Pauls Catherdral, in front of Prince Charles, for the Sir Barnes Wallis Memorial service - the RAF trumpeters in the whispering gallery were AMAZING - the things we as a joint choir from both Horsham and Hertford were FANTASTIC - and to hear it all reverberate for ages after - well you had to be there!

So for the best info - keep loggin in and asking questions - you will get a multifaceted answer which will give you the best feeling for life at CH
Jude Comber (nee Kelynack) 5's 5.38 1975-1980 Herts.
To Learn - read, to Know - write, to MASTER - Teach
shoz
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by shoz »

Jude wrote: So for the best info - keep loggin in and asking questions - you will get a multifaceted answer which will give you the best feeling for life at CH
Thanks, I will, and I'll also keep asking questions if that's ok with evryone else.
1B1 2B1 3B1 4M 5M
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

To a certain extent I can understand Shoz`s interest - when we first came here I didn`t understand a thing about CH, with it`s "quaint traditions" - took me ages to work out which year group was which! I think you get an even broader picture of the place by reading the posts on here - I`ve certainly learnt a lot about "the CH experience" , which as previously stated somewhere, only those who go through it can understand.
I`d never even set foot in an Independent school , let alone a boarding school - but my daughters are very much part of it now , despite the fact that , as non- foundationers, they come home most nights. And running the boarding-house has given an even greater insight into life here - but you really do have to be here to appreciate it.
Luckily I can ask people around me if I have questions .
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
helen
UF (Upper Fourth)

Why

Post by helen »

shoz- I have pm you about this wqith no reply. Why are you so interested in CH? What are you doing with all the info you are getting from your 4 or more sites?
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: Why

Post by J.R. »

helen wrote:shoz- I have pm you about this wqith no reply. Why are you so interested in CH? What are you doing with all the info you are getting from your 4 or more sites?
HELEN: I think you'll find that Shoz is on holiday in Egypt, checking out the Pharoahs. I'm sure he'll reply to your pm on his return. He replied to my pm when I asked him a similar question.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
helen
UF (Upper Fourth)

re shoz

Post by helen »

Oh, so I am not the only one who has been curious about him - despite the nasty comments I have had from one or two people who seem to think I am being censorious, ignorant, petty etc etc. And can you tell me/us(and there are others who would like to know) what his answer was to your inquiry?
Perhaps he would enjoy speculation re his focus on a place of which he has had no experience. Would add another dimension to his gathering of info.
(Ever so well intentioned, naively curious,certainly without malice, seeker after truth etc. Helen)
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Re: re shoz

Post by Mid A 15 »

helen wrote:Oh, so I am not the only one who has been curious about him - despite the nasty comments I have had from one or two people who seem to think I am being censorious, ignorant, petty etc etc. And can you tell me/us(and there are others who would like to know) what his answer was to your inquiry?
Perhaps he would enjoy speculation re his focus on a place of which he has had no experience. Would add another dimension to his gathering of info.
(Ever so well intentioned, naively curious,certainly without malice, seeker after truth etc. Helen)
Once on the internet you are in the public domain. The answer is to only tell what you don't mind others reading.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: re shoz

Post by J.R. »

helen wrote:Oh, so I am not the only one who has been curious about him - despite the nasty comments I have had from one or two people who seem to think I am being censorious, ignorant, petty etc etc. And can you tell me/us(and there are others who would like to know) what his answer was to your inquiry?
HELEN:

I don't think it would be right for me to divulge on this forum the contents of PM's between myself and other posters - At least not without their consent.

Lets wait the return from the Nile and the enforced quarantine in the lavatory to 'clear the mind' !!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
shoz
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by shoz »

helen wrote:shoz- I have pm you about this wqith no reply. Why are you so interested in CH? What are you doing with all the info you are getting from your 4 or more sites?
First of all, what do the '4 or more sites' you mention refer to?
As for explaining my reasons for asking all my questions - I feel I have explained myself on more than one occasion in this forum. I admit I started off on the wrong foot and for that I apologised. But from the posts I have read on my return from Egypt it would seem that most people (with maybe one or two particular exceptions) accept me for what I am. As for explaining to you what I do with the information, well, the answer to that is - it's non of your business! All I will say is I am not writing a book, I am not from the press (as one pm said I might be) I am no psychologist etc etc.
I was even pm'd by the administrator and asked why I had not replied to you, even though everyone seemed to know I was in Egypt at the time. I replied to him by asking if he wants me to leave the forum. I will, of course, obey his instructions. He could also remove my account if he feels I have broken any of the forum's rules.
I was rather hoping to return from Egypt with stories about my holiday and hopefully post a few pictures, not, once again have to explain my actions as to why I have an interest in CH.
As I was told when I first arrived - use the search option and maybe you will find the answer to your question.
1B1 2B1 3B1 4M 5M
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

shoz wrote:I was even pm'd by the administrator and asked why I had not replied to you, even though everyone seemed to know I was in Egypt at the time. I replied to him by asking if he wants me to leave the forum. I will, of course, obey his instructions. He could also remove my account if he feels I have broken any of the forum's rules.
No plans to ask anyone to leave - it's an open forum.
My PM was based on actually trying to encourage a response, to hopefully placate another forum member.
I can't keep on top of every post and, contrary to what may be popular belief, I can't keep tabs on the international location of members in any given week! Given your regular postings, you seemed to have gone quiet, and hence the nudge.

Sorry if it caused offense - I will endeavour to track all members' holiday plans more closely in future!

I think it's still hard for most to understand why you interest - however that doesn't mean you're not welcome, but you should probably expect questions from time-to-time.

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

shoz wrote: First of all, what do the '4 or more sites' you mention refer to?
I don't wish to answer on Helen's behalf, but my man with the Belgian accent and silly moustache thinks that these might be:

1) this forum

2) the Christ's Hospital website

3) the C.H.Association website

4) the Old Blues website
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

jtaylor wrote:
shoz wrote:I was even pm'd by the administrator and asked why I had not replied to you, even though everyone seemed to know I was in Egypt at the time. I replied to him by asking if he wants me to leave the forum. I will, of course, obey his instructions. He could also remove my account if he feels I have broken any of the forum's rules.
No plans to ask anyone to leave - it's an open forum.
My PM was based on actually trying to encourage a response, to hopefully placate another forum member.
I can't keep on top of every post and, contrary to what may be popular belief, I can't keep tabs on the international location of members in any given week! Given your regular postings, you seemed to have gone quiet, and hence the nudge.

Sorry if it caused offense - I will endeavour to track all members' holiday plans more closely in future!

I think it's still hard for most to understand why you interest - however that doesn't mean you're not welcome, but you should probably expect questions from time-to-time.

J
Perhaps we should email you our holiday plans? :)

Just to let everyone know that I shall shortly be returning to work properly so although my replies will not be so rapid, I will still be around.

Probably not until I get my buttons though.