New Chairman nominated for CHA Advisory Board...

Air your views regarding the CH Old Blues' Association, what it's delivering and what it should/could deliver. A chance to get your voice heard on what you'd like from YOUR Association...

Moderator: Moderators

jtaylor
Forum Administrator

New Chairman nominated for CHA Advisory Board...

Post by jtaylor »

Following a meeting on Wednesday night in London this week,
I'm pleased to let you know that the CHA Advisory Board
have nominated a new chairman.....see the CHA website for full details.

Cheers,

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
Founder of The Unofficial CH Forum
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Well that's good news! :)
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

Yep, definitely good news and we're really moving forward. There's also another board meeting start of May, where we hopefully agree new members, so that'll be good too!

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
https://www.grovegeeks.co.uk - IT Support and website design for home, small businesses and charities.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

jtaylor wrote:Yep, definitely good news and we're really moving forward. There's also another board meeting start of May, where we hopefully agree new members, so that'll be good too!

J
Well it's good to see things moving on - is there any news on Sara's replacement?
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

Don't know - that's owned by the school, so we don't really get officially involved.
I'm sure they're making progress though.

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
UserRemovedAccount
GE (Great Erasmus)

MANAGER CHA

Post by UserRemovedAccount »

jtaylor wrote:Don't know - that's owned by the school, so we don't really get officially involved. I'm sure they're making progress though.
Julian,
You made the above remark in answer to a question about a replacement for Sara Voice. I suggest that you are incorrect, because the "school" (which is headed by the headmaster) has absolutely nothing to do with the appointment or employment of the CHA Manager. The Manager's post lies totally within the province of the Counting House, which is a completely separate body, headed by the Clerk. That said, it is scandalous that the CHAAB is not represented on the selection panel, since the post of manager is fundamental to the success of the CHA.
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Great Plum wrote:
jtaylor wrote:Yep, definitely good news and we're really moving forward. There's also another board meeting start of May, where we hopefully agree new members, so that'll be good too!

J
Well it's good to see things moving on - is there any news on Sara's replacement?
Friday 21st. was the closing date for applications, so presumably the selection process will get underway shortly.
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Re: MANAGER CHA

Post by jtaylor »

Sorry, yes, you are of course entirely correct, and that is actually what I meant - by "The School" I was more meaning "not the CHA Advisory Board", and should probably have been far more explicit!
I appreciate your concerns over input from the CHA board, but don't forget that the board has a Council member on it as part of the membership consituents, and also the full support and input from the Clerk himself, and hence I'm sure that a suitable person will be found soon.
The Council obviously will want the best person for the job to ensure the success of the CHA, so I'm sure they'll listen to input and feedback to help in the process.

J
petard249 wrote:
jtaylor wrote:Don't know - that's owned by the school, so we don't really get officially involved. I'm sure they're making progress though.
Julian,
You made the above remark in answer to a question about a replacement for Sara Voice. I suggest that you are incorrect, because the "school" (which is headed by the headmaster) has absolutely nothing to do with the appointment or employment of the CHA Manager. The Manager's post lies totally within the province of the Counting House, which is a completely separate body, headed by the Clerk. That said, it is scandalous that the CHAAB is not represented on the selection panel, since the post of manager is fundamental to the success of the CHA.
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
UserRemovedAccount
GE (Great Erasmus)

MANAGER CHA

Post by UserRemovedAccount »

Julian,
You write:
jtaylor wrote:I appreciate your concerns over input from the CHA board, but don't forget that the board has a Council member on it as part of the membership consituents, and also the full support and input from the Clerk himself, and hence I'm sure that a suitable person will be found soon.
I am not at all clear what you mean by
jtaylor wrote:"...the board has a Council member on it as part of the membership consituents"
If you are referring to the member of the Council of Almoners who is appointed by that body to be a member of the CHAAB, then I really don't see what that has got to do with the appointment of a new Manager. As I said before, and with which you now agree, the Manager CHA is an appointment solely within the gift of the Counting House, and the Council of Almoners' rep on the CHAAB is NEITHER a member of the Counting House NOR of the Selection Board.

You also express the hope that "...a suitable person will be found soon." If Sara failed to satisfy the powers-that-be after only ten months in post then it seems not unreasonable to conclude that the Selection Board must have failed to identify her (alleged) shortcomings, which casts some doubt on its procedures. I also, as I believe do you, have considerable concern about advertising the post for 12 months only. Apart from anything else this raises the prospect of the CHA having no less than three managers in the space of three years, which will sap the enthusiasm of Old Blues for the new organisation yet further.
David
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Who's going to head the Quango ?
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Steve Webb is a good choice I think.

He did a good job for the BSB.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
jtaylor
Forum Administrator

Post by jtaylor »

The Counting House does though report through The Clerk, and hence my observations?

I can't comment on the other observations - I don't know the facts of the issues alluded to, but trust that the best possible decisions will be taken.

J
Julian Taylor-Gadd
Leigh Hunt 1985-1992
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

jtaylor wrote:The Counting House does though report through The Clerk, and hence my observations?

I can't comment on the other observations - I don't know the facts of the issues alluded to, but trust that the best possible decisions will be taken.

J
Very 'politic-speak' if I may say so, Julian !
FrogBoxed
Deputy Grecian

Post by FrogBoxed »

J.R. wrote:Very 'politic-speak' if I may say so, Julian !
Poor Julian is rather caught here and doing his best not to upset any apple carts. Hence the 'politic-speak'. A visual representation follows:

ROCK] :( Julian :roll: [HARD PLACE
Louise Barr Col B 89–96 | Frog Box Design
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I like to call a spade a spade, but unfortunately, these says...........

.............. hence my reluctance at applying for a possible vacancy !