Ernest McCall- Maths teacher / housemaster Maine A

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

LHA
GE (Great Erasmus)
Posts: 143
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:35 pm
Real Name: Charles Henry
Has thanked: 40 times
Been thanked: 51 times

Re: Ernest McCall- Maths teacher / housemaster Maine A

Post by LHA » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:54 pm

thank you so much for your post. definitely worth calling Sussex Police about this if you feel about to do so. Or the NSPCC would assist you in making a report if you preferred. What you say here may be evidence relevant to other enquires which may or may not be ongoing.

robert totterdell
3rd Former
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:58 pm
Real Name: Mr Robert G S Totterdell
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 122 times

Re: Ernest McCall- Maths teacher / housemaster Maine A

Post by robert totterdell » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:00 pm

Hi Chaps

He was Richard Edward McCall. Ernie was his adopted name, by him. He was Second Housemaster in Mid A during my time (1972 - 1976).

A bit odd and he drank a lot, AN AWFUL LOT.

There were some issues with him but he was, to be frank, rather useless both as a teacher in my time and within the house. I suspect he left simply as he wasn't that good but then who knows.

Pe.A
3rd Former
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:05 pm
Real Name: RTroni
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Ernest McCall- Maths teacher / housemaster Maine A

Post by Pe.A » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:38 pm

Golfer wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:12 pm
scrub wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:10 am
LHA wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:32 pm
I don't recall Housemasters ever moving house before (not sure if he had a gap). I wonder if there was a specific reason for that?
Staff moved around a fair bit during my time, as I remember it anyway, not any specific reason as far as I can recall. The Endacott's, Holdsworth's, Flemming's, for example, all were in multiple houses while I was there. Also a bunch of teachers who were house masters/tutors then moved out but still taught and vice versa. There was a constant churn. Not monthly, but every year or so people would move about. It just seemed like normal practice to me.
Not really true about the Flemmings. They stayed in ColA for years but when the Grecians' Houses were created they moved to Grecians West. I can't believe how long they were house parents. Amazing commitment. I have to mention the Robinsons in LHB in this respect. Elspeth Robinson deserves a medal for her long term devotion - she has just retired.
There was an element of "promotion"/recognition of families / time served in moves to the larger attached houses e.g. the Avenells from ColB to LHB and the Endacotts from ColA to PeA and the Buckmans from BaA to LHA.
Was Howard Holdsworth housemaster of any house apart from Peele A. I don't think so.
Holdsworth was at Ma B before Pe A, i believe

LHA
GE (Great Erasmus)
Posts: 143
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:35 pm
Real Name: Charles Henry
Has thanked: 40 times
Been thanked: 51 times

Re: Ernest McCall- Maths teacher / housemaster Maine A

Post by LHA » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:25 pm

I'm just keen to know if he's alive or not. Someone must know!

Pe.A
3rd Former
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:05 pm
Real Name: RTroni
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Ernest McCall- Maths teacher / housemaster Maine A

Post by Pe.A » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:44 pm

Poor_Sunyol wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:54 pm
I suppose you had to move it as with out proof it is just hearsay and therefore slander.
Exactly...

User avatar
Great Plum
Button Grecian
Posts: 5238
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:59 am
Real Name: Matt Holdsworth
Location: Reigate
Has thanked: 58 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Ernest McCall- Maths teacher / housemaster Maine A

Post by Great Plum » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:23 pm

Pe.A wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:38 pm
Golfer wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:12 pm
scrub wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:10 am

Staff moved around a fair bit during my time, as I remember it anyway, not any specific reason as far as I can recall. The Endacott's, Holdsworth's, Flemming's, for example, all were in multiple houses while I was there. Also a bunch of teachers who were house masters/tutors then moved out but still taught and vice versa. There was a constant churn. Not monthly, but every year or so people would move about. It just seemed like normal practice to me.
Not really true about the Flemmings. They stayed in ColA for years but when the Grecians' Houses were created they moved to Grecians West. I can't believe how long they were house parents. Amazing commitment. I have to mention the Robinsons in LHB in this respect. Elspeth Robinson deserves a medal for her long term devotion - she has just retired.
There was an element of "promotion"/recognition of families / time served in moves to the larger attached houses e.g. the Avenells from ColB to LHB and the Endacotts from ColA to PeA and the Buckmans from BaA to LHA.
Was Howard Holdsworth housemaster of any house apart from Peele A. I don't think so.
Holdsworth was at Ma B before Pe A, i believe
Correct.
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99

Post Reply