Cross-country runs

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

sejintenej
Button Grecian

Re: Cross-country runs

Post by sejintenej » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:03 pm

loringa wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:39 pm

On an unrelated subject, is anybody else now getting adverts appearing in the middle of posts not just at the top and bottom of the page - very strange?
Not me but it may be the way I log in; straight to general index and thence to new posts. Nothing on any posts but I do have a block on various strange things like pop-ups plus very vigilant virus checks, multiple fire walls .........
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

The most popular labour-saving device is still money

jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:26 pm

sejintenej wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:51 pm
Mid A 15 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:50 pm

Back in the Dark Ages, when sejintenej and I were there, monitors were allowed to give running punishments: miles, double miles and, dependent on which end of The Avenue your House was, loops or Post Office Runs.

A monitor would track you on a bicycle as you completed the requisite distance. How do I know this? Did I pick up my fair share of these punishments? :wink:
For the benefit of younger readers and ladies each person was allotted a limit time for a mile (we didn't do double miles) and PO Paths each of which included changing clothes. The limit was intended to be only just be possible with a modicum of luck so usually you didn't beat your time and would have to repeat and repeat until the monitor giving the punishment decided it had bee "done". What we didn't try to control was the changing - from normal dress into shirt and shorts was far faster than the other way. From memory my time for a mile was 6 mins 30 seconds in the year before I became a monitor. Tracking as described was rare in Col A when I was trades monitor; if it were found I suspect that Kit would exercise his cane and then enforce the punishment.
In Barnes B it was 5 minutes for the loop, 8 minutes for a mile , 10 minutes for a long loop, (outside loop and then the mile) and 16 for the double mile. No following on bikes although some monitors would occasional wander up to Big Side to see what was going on. I rarely gave punishments but the Dayroom monitor used to rack up over 50 a term.
Last edited by jhopgood on Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. » Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:22 pm

In Coleridge B, I only remember Miles an PO's.

I don't remember any supervision other than starting and reporting back to house.

I've no recollection of double miles at all ever being given.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.

PeA31
2nd Former
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by PeA31 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:47 pm

Straz's recollection of a serious injury in Shelley's Wood during a steeplechase is spot-on - I was on the scene almost immediately and it was an unpleasant sight to behold. The unfortunate party was one of the nicest people you will ever meet so he will remain nameless in view of the subsequent events at the hospital. I had either forgotten or never heard the tale about the pants.