Richard Trenchard (PeB 1978-1984)

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

From today's CHOBA newsletter, Good luck to him is all I can say
Richard has been recently appointed the Representative (Country Director) for Afghanistan for the Food and Agriculture Organisation of the United Nations (FAO) based in Kabul, Afghanistan.
This follows recent appointments as acting Representative for Indonesia and Timor-Leste, Senior Regional Adviser and Head of Policy for the Near East and North Africa, Whole of Syria Coordinator and FAO Representative for Somalia.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
AMP
Deputy Grecian

Re: Richard Trenchard (PeB 1978-1984)

Post by AMP »

ROME — A U.N. agency is warning that worsening drought in Afghanistan threatens the livelihoods of more than 7 million people.

The Rome-based Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) on Saturday issued an appeal for humanitarian assistance. Adding to the plight of what the agency termed “severe drought” are the economic impact of COVID-19 and widespread internal displacement of Afghans amid enduring conflict.

Earlier this month, the U.N. World Food Program, another Rome-based agency, estimated that some 14 million people — roughly one out of every three Afghans — urgently need food assistance.

The FAO said crucial help is needed ahead of the winter wheat planting season, which begins in a month in many areas.

FAO’s representative in Afghanistan, Richard Trenchard, said in a statement that “disaster looms” if sufficient help doesn’t materialize for the next winter wheat season.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Yes I’d read that, before I knew he was an OB. I hope he’s allowed to work there and is able to achieve something. I meant it sincerely, Good Luck to him.

We were in Islamabad from 74 to early 78, it was a time of peace in Afghanistan, our diplomat friends would go to Kabul on R&R, and bring back delicious fruit, I particularly remember apricots, walnuts and huge apples. The Pathan men in NWFP, did not consider themselves properly dressed without a rifle and bandoliers. We were in Peshawar market with a very fair haired toddler, who fell in love with a dancing Donald Duck. It was only when we returned to our hotel did we see that it was a Pathan Donald. He had a rifle under his right wing and had his crossed bandoliers! That was how ubiquitous the gun culture was, a child’s toy had a gun and ammo.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Richard is a former poster on this forum.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
CHAZ
Grecian

Post by CHAZ »

I am in contact with Richard (a PeB contemporary and fellow Himalayan expedition member) and he is doing fine after a jittery start. He loves these difficult zones having also served in Somalia.
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984