The Blue...

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Mark1
GE (Great Erasmus)

The Blue...

Post by Mark1 »

Thought here would be the place to ask: apart from general publishing quality improvements, what would the general consensus be on the new annual The Blue?

Any comments, ideas on what could or should be improved or changed for the coming year, re emphasis, layout I'm sure would be much appreciated by all who will be involved...

:D
Alexandra Thrift
Deputy Grecian

Post by Alexandra Thrift »

I was a bit late sending off for it and have just received my copy. Very smart...even "posh". Beautiful photos and quality.It felt like I got the £ 6.50 worth with the CD which I look forward to listening to ( a quiet moment when I can listen properly ).

Louise Ayling ( a student ,I presume) interviews the Treasurer, David Farrington.It would have been nice to have had a transcript of the actual interview rather than Ms Ayling's overview which was very tantalising and hinted at much that we were unable to read or know for sure !

Lots of interesting sections like the Romanian Project ( very impressive).Lovely photos again.

Personally, having two horse mad sisters, I loved the one "horsey" page which I will show my sis. when I see her tomorrow. There were no horses at Hertford !!! Although I did take driving lessons which was great.

I couldn't help noticing that nearly all the " Blues in the Public Eye" were male and felt that a female asst. editor may be called for (???) to do a bit of networking.....I am absolutely certain that many female blues were in the public eye but nobody knew. ( mmm...or is that a contradiction in terms ? :? )

I liked reading about " Rock School" as I had watched it on the telly and become rather fond of Gene Simmons prodigies. Mary Ireland dealt with
Mr Simmons with humour and diplomacy ( and in fact you could reverse both their names in that sentence). I couldn't help wondering how DR ( Miss West, who was Head when I was at Hertford) would have managed in the same situation!

Is there any way that a sports section can be made more snappy and less
...well...boring ?( sorry)

I learnt something interesting.....for years I have sporadically attended church services at Christchurch Priory....most recently ( last July) my nephew got married there, and both my sister's sons were choristers ,then senior choristers there. My son was christened there. I had got to know the Reverend...to say Hello and have the odd chat. I had no idea he was an old Blue....but there it was at the back of "The Blue" , Hugh Williams in the Public Eye for becoming a Canon of Winchester Cathedral ( and thus no longer at the huge Norman Priory Church in Christchurch ). He is , however sculpted in stone ( not just his name but a likeness of him!) in the Priory Garden, as part of a statue commemorating the 900 th Anniversary in ( I think 1996....1066+ 900). Too late for us to have an Old Blue chat.

Best wishes to all who work hard to produce the magazine.

P.S. What's going to be in the " Old Blue"?
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

I must admit I really liked it - very glossy and, yes, Alexandra is right - posh!

I take it you help edit it Mark?
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

Alexandra Thrift wrote:I was a bit late sending off for it and have just received my copy. Very smart...even "posh". Beautiful photos and quality.It felt like I got the £ 6.50 worth with the CD which I look forward to listening to ( a quiet moment when I can listen properly ).

The Old Blue should be winging its way to you.

CH sent mine on Jan 31st and I got it in a small village near Denia, Spain on Feb 2nd, so wait with bated breath.
Sections are the following
CHA News
Carol Concert
Founder's Day
Reunions OB meetings around the world
Working News about OB's and their jobs, one girl and two boys
Creative. Poetry, book reviews, article on girl singer and boy photographer
Sport Sailing, Five and Golf. No netball I'm afraid
Young Old Blues with news on OB's who left after 1990
Updates What people are up to separated by decade they left CH.
Memories Big article on Ward 8, letters and things about what it was like at CH
Remembering Obituaries and memories of friends now gone, 11 girls 20 odd boys
Fundraising OB's either looking for money for unusual activities or raising money for charity.
Cordon Bleu.

We can mainly only include what we get, plus a few other articles which we have generated (Interviews etc)

I will start another thread for comments.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

Will everyone automatically be sent an Old Blue? Haven't kept up to speed with what's going on with The Blue/Old Blue.
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

Anyone who is on the CH database as an Old Blue, certainly all former CH Club members and thos who now receive Housey.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

Thanks - hopefully will get it soon then.
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
Rex
GE (Great Erasmus)

Hugh Williams

Post by Rex »

Alexandra, I think Hugh Williams is simply an Honorary Canon - in recognition of his valuable long service in the diocese - so should still be in post at Christchurch Priory.
Last edited by Rex on Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

Alexandra Thrift wrote: Personally, having two horse mad sisters, I loved the one "horsey" page which I will show my sis. when I see her tomorrow. There were no horses at Hertford !!! Although I did take driving lessons which was great.

The article about the riding was wrongly credited to my daughter - she is, however, the one on the left in the picture. The horses aren`t actually at CH , but at the local riding school.
There is also a Community Action active, which she does, at the Riding for the Disabled centre.

I`ve got a copy of The Old Blue - which contains a great poem by Dave by the Sea!!
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
Alexandra Thrift
Deputy Grecian

Re: Hugh Williams

Rex wrote:Alexandra, I think Hugh Williams is simply an <I>Honorary</I> Canon – in recognition of his valuable long service in the diocese – so should still be in post at Christchurch Priory.
Thankyou Rex.I apologise for my inaccuracy. I'm extremely ignorant about Church Heirarchy,titles etc and assumed ( because he didn't conduct my nephew's wedding) he had moved on. It must be about time I went to church again :wink:

The Christchurch Priory is a most lovely, historic building ( recently restored with the aid of a heritage grant of some kind ) ,very like a slightly younger sister to Durham Cathedral would be.I recommend anybody visiting these parts to pay it a visit.

Thankyou ,Mrs C. for the horse info. Sweet pic. of your daughter ( Leigh Hunt B ?) and contented horse!

Look forward to receiving the Old Blue.
Last edited by Alexandra Thrift on Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

Barnes A - her friend`s in LH
Alexandra Thrift
Deputy Grecian

Mrs C. wrote:Barnes A - her friend`s in LH
Sorry ! Only BOTH girls had a surname beginning with "C" and I only knew your initial ( then...now the secret is out).
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

Not much of a secret I`m afraid!!!
Alexandra Thrift
Deputy Grecian

jhopgood wrote:Anyone who is on the CH database as an Old Blue, certainly all former CH Club members and thos who now receive Housey.
On the other thread you've started John, you say we have to have paid to get a copy.I don't remember doing that ( ?) but I would like a copy. How do I order/pay ? In the past it's just arrived. :shock:
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Alexandra Thrift wrote:
jhopgood wrote:Anyone who is on the CH database as an Old Blue, certainly all former CH Club members and thos who now receive Housey.
On the other thread you've started John, you say we have to have paid to get a copy.I don't remember doing that ( ?) but I would like a copy. How do I order/pay ? In the past it's just arrived. :shock:
You don't have to pay for "The Old Blue" just the one under discussion on this thread.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72