If You Could Apologise.....

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

That's such a Devonian thing to say: What's the time to? LOL
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

Great Plum wrote:That's such a Devonian thing to say: What's the time to? LOL
When we first came to Devon I was asked by the plumber (having just come back from shopping) "Wheres yer bin to luv?" I was just going to ask him what it had to do with him when he said "Dustbin,luv". It was the first time I had heard that strange expression. My all time favourite is "us have had three of they"
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
GPiaggesi
2nd Former

So Many People!

Post by GPiaggesi »

I could be here for days trying to think of all the times I should be saying "Sorry"! There were many times at CH when I was quite the little so and so, but here are some of the highlights!
1. Mongy - AKA Mr Torkington, what a guy, how he missed me with that bottle in chemistry I still don't know. I am sorry.
2. Mr Sutcliffe. For the famous incident post one cricket match with U14As, we got panned, he was not happy and the song started..... Brown Trousers, Grips and Hat. Grips and Hat. I am Sorry.
3. For being involved in the Bockers club incident, I may not have started it, but because of me Pritchard and Duncan Wilson, it finished. That was a sweet deal and we ruined it. I am sorry.

I am sure there are many other things that I will remember and come back to post. This thread should be used as a confession area. I am now off to say 100 hail Mary's for my sins! I am very Sorry!
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

:lol: :lol: I was there at the Brown Trousers, Grips and Hat incident... :lol: :lol:

i had forgotten all about that...
Andy Friend
3rd Former

Post by Andy Friend »

I can only apologise for being sick on Mr Kemp's (RIP) shoes after the UF rock concert. Aside from that, my post A level party was quite amusing.....
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Hmmm, I think I avoided that mass display of decadence... ;)
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

Mrs C. wrote: I taught in Ivybridge for several years and I still remember being asked in a German lesson how to say "to" in German - naturally I asked in what context - the reply came "What`s the time to?" !!!! Ranking equally with "where are we to?" ,roughly translated as "what page are we on?"
Never heard it anywhere before or since!
"to" is commonly used in that way in these parts. I use it myself - e.g. "where be'im to?" or as in the Pub ballad:

"Where be you blackbird to?
I knaws w'ere 'e be
'E be up yon worzel tree
An' I be a'er e.
Now e sees I
An' I sees 'e
'An 'e knaws I be a'er 'e
Wi' a ruddy gert stick I'll 'ammer 'e
Blackbird, I'll 'ave 'e!"

Whether or not there had been a successful outcome to the actions described in this little ditty, might well be elucidated by asking:

"Killem diddy?"
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

I suppose I would have to go back and apologise to Mr Peter White for flicking ink down the back of his jacket (as did just about everyone in 1Y in 1975......) however, having bumped into him later in life and apologised then - he said it had certainly made him stronger having come out of college to an all girls boarding school!!! Poor guy!
:oops:
Jude Comber (nee Kelynack) 5's 5.38 1975-1980 Herts.
To Learn - read, to Know - write, to MASTER - Teach
UserRequestedRemoval
Button Grecian

Who would I apologise to?

Post by UserRequestedRemoval »

Hmmm how long have we got?
Let's start with My housemaster in Mid B Rev. I. Atkinson. Dear God but I gave him a hard time, I was always in trouble and he was either trying to get me out of it or give me the punishment for it. Ubi once had to cain Julian Angel and myself for throwing stones outside the Arts Centre. By the time Julian finished with him, he was nearly begging for our permission to cain us.

Another major apology would have to go to Dr Newsome, he had to invent ways to bend the rules to keep me from being rusticated on many occasions. Trouble is, nearly everyone in Mid B in those days was a real handful.
UserRequestedRemoval
Button Grecian

Apologies

Come to think of it, I think I owe an apology to the guys who were in Mid B along with me......I had a really skill for be a total twerp. Still I was extremely proud to be with so many real characters, every house had them, just not as many as we did!
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Re: Who would I apologise to?

Post by Richard Ruck »

soc wrote:Hmmm how long have we got?
Let's start with My housemaster in Mid B Rev. I. Atkinson. Dear God but I gave him a hard time, I was always in trouble and he was either trying to get me out of it or give me the punishment for it. Ubi once had to cain Julian Angel and myself for throwing stones outside the Arts Centre. By the time Julian finished with him, he was nearly begging for our permission to cain us.

Another major apology would have to go to Dr Newsome, he had to invent ways to bend the rules to keep me from being rusticated on many occasions. Trouble is, nearly everyone in Mid B in those days was a real handful.
Likewise re. Atkinson, but I think most of us gave him a hard time. I thought he would have liked you, though. Didn't you play hockey (or is my memory playing up)? That was his favourite sport, wasn't it?
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
UserRequestedRemoval
Button Grecian

The man was Hockey crazy Dick! Since I was the 1st XI Keeper, he thought the proverbial sun did it's usual about me, that's why he had such a hard time with me. I was usually in trouble with someone else and he had to invent ways to keep me out of trouble so that I could play for House or School. Do you remember how he used to rock on his feet when he got excited? Or is that old age creeping up on my memory?
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

soc wrote: Do you remember how he used to rock on his feet when he got excited? Or is that old age creeping up on my memory?
He did, now you come to mention it, and of course his left eyeball would bulge alarmingly........
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
UserRequestedRemoval
Button Grecian

So I wasn't the only one who wondered if that eye would pop out when we all getting another lecture for sommat or other!