Dorothy Ruth West : RIP

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Dorothy Ruth West : RIP

Post by kerrensimmonds »

I am sorry to announce that Ruth West, Headmistress at Hertford from 1942-1972, passed away this morning, aged 94.
Please PM me if anyone would like details of e.g. the funeral arrangements.
The family has asked if I would approach the School to see if there could be some form of Memorial Service for her.
A sad day - but having seen her only on Sunday and seen her distress I can only say that I am pleased for her that her suffering is ended.
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

She was obviously quite a character and I am sure she will be missed by many.
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Thanks for letting us know, Kerren. I feel sure that there should be a Memorial Service some time, somewhere for her. She was a very big influence on our lives.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

I could trawl the Hertford Memories thread for anecdotes, but would prefer if people who knew her would PM me thoughts/anecdotes that I could put alongside the obit that will go in the Old Blue I am currently working on.

Many thanks
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

Thanks for letting us know,Kerren. I don't like to think of her in distress.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

John.. all I would ever have to say is under 'Hertford Memories' and 'Half to Remember' (the title of Miss West's autobiography').
If you were to read that thread you would find it quite revealing I think..
Kerren
Kerren Simmonds
Liz Jay
Deputy Grecian

RIP

Post by Liz Jay »

Hi Kerren

Thanks for letting us all know. Ninety-four is a quite magnificent age.

May she rest in peace.

The end of an era for the Hertford girls I think.

Love
Liz (was Plummer now Jay)
Ex - Sixes ''66 - ''68
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Thanks Liz. Yes, 'end of an era' is one of the expressions being bandied about today. As is 'she had a good innings' (entirely appropriate for a cricketer).
At the moment (and this is not yet confirmed) there is a suggestion that the funeral might be on Monday 8 January. I have been asked to secure contributions from CH but the School only reconvenes on 7 January, so I am not sure how realistic this would be. I will do my best to drive up there, pick up e.g. the Second Monitor (a girl) and take her to the funeral and take her home afterwards....But how meaningful would that
be? I will try, anyway.....
Please would anyone else who wants to attend the funeral PM me and I will reply with chapter and verse, when it is known.
Kerren
Kerren Simmonds
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

DRW

Post by Angela Woodford »

Thank you for letting us know Kerren.

Having read her memoirs recently, I had begun to remember DRW in a slightly different light. Much as I had dreaded any contact with her during my CH years, and speaking as one who never achieved any sort of excellence as a result of my schooldays, I do see that she always did what she felt was "right".

And that deserves respect.

Munch
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Re: Dorothy Ruth West : RIP

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

kerrensimmonds wrote:I am sorry to announce that Ruth West, Headmistress at Hertford from 1942-1972, passed away this morning, aged 94.
Hi Kerren

Thank you for letting us know. Your copy of 'Half To Remember' is winging its way across the Pacific as I type, and if the funeral is not to be held until 8/1, it may make it in time.

I'm sorry to hear that DR's last days were uncomfortable for her. May she rest in peace.

Caroline
Caroline Payne (nee Barrett)
Hertford 6.20 1965-70

Adelaide, dear Adelaide; where the water is foul, but the wines more than make up for it.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I will not be able to attend the funeral but would appreciate details, (time etc) so I can send a thought winging that way.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Memory jog, please?

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Can anyone remember which thread on the Forum it was where we were discussing DRW? Logically it ought to be 'Half to Remember' under 'Hertford Memories', but I can't find it!
I recall someone asking me how I got to know her, and we had quite an exchange during which I spoke of the different person I got to know in (my) adult life.
John Hopgood, Editor of The Old Blue, has asked for contributions and I replied that I had said all that I would ever want to say, in that thread. But can I find it now? If I can't find it, he won't either!
So please can anyone point me in the right direction?
Dohhhhhh
Kerren Simmonds
Alexandra Thrift
Deputy Grecian

Dorothy Ruth West ( RIP)

Post by Alexandra Thrift »

I found this thread Kerren

viewtopic.php?t=1017&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

There are many other mentions of "Dot" throughout the threads.

Some message boards are totally differently laid out than this forum and far more easily kept "on topic" and "searched".

Unfortunately this one is complicated.

Maybe there is a "search" facility somewhere where you can key in "Miss West" or "DR" and it will find all the posts where these words appear ?

I know there are some nice pics of DR on some of the threads (possibly the photo threads in Hertford Memories)....I will try to find the time to search a bit more myself.

Thankyou Kerren for the fantastic job you are undoubtedly doing in this respect.
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

Deputy Grecian
Total posts: 260
Gender: Female Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:30 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not a personal question, Vonny. Am happy to explain!
I got to know DR because she lived only about an hour's drive from me and subsequently through my involvement with the Old Girls' Association. Although I was basically pretty terrified of her when I was at school, I called in once, on spec, when I was about 28/30, and she was so friendly and hospitable that I felt encouraged to keep in touch. Then, when I was Chair of the OGA, I got to know her better, partly through driving her to London for Annual General Meetings - especially the one where we celebrated her 80th birthday. As she became 'older' and gave up the things she had taken on post-CH (Magistrate, Chair of Children's Services, Cricket Umpire, Womens Institute Choir.....) I began to visit more often - she would give me lunch (sometimes with her sisters) and then I would take her out to tea. By the time she began to fail in health (I suspect when the TIAs began originally), her sister turned to me for help and I had to rush over and take the sister to the Doctor, to get some medical intervention. When she went into the Home and her bungalow was cleared, her brother turned to me to take possession of what was left of the CH memorabilia (but as I have said elsewhere, most of that is rubbish. The good stuff went to auction, before I knew about it....).
I personally do not recall any poor treatment of me at school (although once in the House Interview - remember those?! - she accused me of having a 'false laugh'. I still remember that, because to cover nervousness I still 'laugh', and sometimes the occasion is inappropriate and gives the wrong impression!) but I was a fairly run of the mill pupil and didn't rock any boats. 20 years later, however, I learned that she had taken an exceptional step to preserve my family life - I was 14, returned to school an emotional wreck and (I remember) spent most of the time curled up on a radiator, crying. Without my knowledge, she summoned my parents up from Sussex and demanded to know if there was a problem. There had been, but they were so mortified (and I think my Dad was half afraid of her anyway....) that they swallowed their differences, showed me that they had, and for the rest of their lives put on a good face. This, to me, demonstrates a level of caring for an individual pupil which goes beyond the job - and I know others who would say that they had experienced that humane side of her, too.
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

THANK YOU Alex and Barbara! (John... is this enough for a start?)
Barbara.. I can't tell which thread you took that from?
Kerren
Kerren Simmonds