Following on from

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Following on from

Post by Mid A 15 »

the excellent news of Joseph Launchbury's selection for the under 16 Rugby squad what other CH Pupils or Old Blues have represented their country?

In my time at CH David Casswell and Simon Johnson were selected for the same England under 19 Rugby team. Casswell went on to represent Eastern Counties in the pre league times when playing county rugby was a real achievement. Johnson played in the back row for Rosslyn Park, when they were one of the top club sides in the country, alongside England internationals like Andy Ripley.

There must be more and from sports other than Rugby Union too.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Both andrew Higgins and Elijah Sobanjo played for England u19's I believe...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Great Plum wrote:Both andrew Higgins and Elijah Sobanjo played for England u19's I believe...
Would they have played in the same side or were they different years?

Whilst writing just thought of the most obvious example. John Snow the great Sussex and England fast bowler.

It's all boys so far. Any distinguished Hertford Sportswomen?
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Not as far as I am aware, Kerren may know.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Mid A 15 wrote:
Great Plum wrote:Both andrew Higgins and Elijah Sobanjo played for England u19's I believe...

Whilst writing just thought of the most obvious example. John Snow the great Sussex and England fast bowler.

Who's father was a vicar and could use quite colourful language when watching cricket, if memory serves !!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Mid A 15 wrote:

They would have done as they were both on my year...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

Andrew still plays for Bath

I cant think of anyone in my year group!
Amy Leadbeater
BaB 2000-01, Gre W01-02

Check out my blog http://leadpencils.blogspot.com/
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

I don't know of of any Hertford Old Blues who played sport at national level - but that doesn't mean that there weren't any!
I think that DR herself had something to do with Women's Cricket at national level (and one of her sisters played hockey for England and another was an England hockey coach).
Actually I saw John Snow a couple of weeks ago....visiting his mum in the local hospital (she goes to my church). He had just come back from Australia. I declined to stop and ask him how things had been going.....in any case he was too busy being good and using that hand cleansing gel stuff.
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
HowardH
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by HowardH »

Tom Godfrey captained England U16 in 1981, I think.
His brother Nick Godfrey played for England U16 in 1984.
Elijah Sobanjo played for England U16 in 1997, England U18 in 1998 and England U18A in 1999
Andrew Higgins played for England U18 in 1999.
Those are rugby representatives, although I believe Geoff Hines played at this level in approx. 1955, now lives in Queensland.
All of the above are for rugby.
Cricket has John Snow at the top, but one must not forget that Dennis Silk captained an MCC side abroad and played first-class cricket for Cambridge Univrsity and Somerset, as did Dickie Dodds for Essex, I believe, making 19,000+ runs. In addition Jack Bailey played for Oxford University and Essex achieving best figures of 8-24.
Sorry about being Mr Stato!
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

HowardH wrote:Tom Godfrey captained England U16 in 1981, I think.
His brother Nick Godfrey played for England U16 in 1984.
Elijah Sobanjo played for England U16 in 1997, England U18 in 1998 and England U18A in 1999
Andrew Higgins played for England U18 in 1999.
Those are rugby representatives, although I believe Geoff Hines played at this level in approx. 1955, now lives in Queensland.
All of the above are for rugby.
Cricket has John Snow at the top, but one must not forget that Dennis Silk captained an MCC side abroad and played first-class cricket for Cambridge Univrsity and Somerset, as did Dickie Dodds for Essex, I believe, making 19,000+ runs. In addition Jack Bailey played for Oxford University and Essex achieving best figures of 8-24.
Sorry about being Mr Stato!
Thanks for those Howard or is it Angus? :wink:

I don't think T C "Dickie" Dodds was an Old Blue although I know his son Michael is. I was privileged to meet "Dickie" a few times through a mutual friend and indeed he came to visit me at CH and asked for my views when he was considering it as an option for Michael.

Sadly Dickie passed away about five years ago.

Edited: Monday 12 February. I turned up Dickie's obituary which is worth a read. He was much more than a first class cricketer.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jh ... 0/db01.xml
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Doctor Smellcroft
LE (Little Erasmus)

Dickie Dodds

Post by Doctor Smellcroft »

Interesting to see it was T N Pearce (MaA 17-22, Governor), captain of Essex, who recruited Dodds for that club.
Last edited by Doctor Smellcroft on Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
HowardH
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by HowardH »

Quite right - Tom Pearce was the Old Blue and Dickie's son attended Housey.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Re: Dickie Dodds

Post by Mid A 15 »

Doctor Smellcroft wrote:Interesting to see it was <b>T N Pearce (MA 17-22, Governor)</b>, captain of Essex, who recruited Dodds for that club.
Yes as a youngster in the sixties I remember TN Pearce's X1 used to grace the Scarborough Festival at the end of each season. I'd forgotten he was an Old Blue.

Wasn't there an Old Blue who became President of the MCC now I think about it? Stephenson?

Howard I know you will know help me out here!
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Foureyes
Grecian

STEPHENSON

Post by Foureyes »

Mid A 15 wrote:Wasn't there an Old Blue who became President of the MCC now I think about it? Stephenson?
The man you have in mind is the late Lieutenant-Colonel JR (John) Stephenson, Old Blue, originally of the Royal Sussex Regiment and later of The Queen's Regiment. He left the Army early to become the Secretary (not president) of the MCC. By common consent, one of the very nicest men around, he died whlst in his early 70s

AFTERNOTE:
See his obituary at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Robin_Stephenson
HowardH
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by HowardH »

John was indeed Secretary of the MCC. He played rugby for Sussex, but his highest representative level in cricket was playing for the Army. He stayed with me once before a tour fund-raiser. He was an absolutely charming man from the old school.