Wikich on Facebook

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

rosab
2nd Former

Wikich on Facebook

Post by rosab »

Hi everybody,

Just to introduce myself: I'm Rosa a current Grecian. I have posted on here before but it was ages ago and I rather stupidly forgot my username and password, so I made new ones.

I have always thought it would be quite fun to make a wiki about CH, but just never got around to it. However, I was on facebook this morning and discovered Wikimono - an application that lets you write wikis. It is so much easier than setting one up by yourself or through Wikia.

So I was basically wondering if anybody who is on facebook would like to get involved with this. The best wikis are the ones with lots of contributors, and i don't know enough about CH to write a whole wiki about it.

I have started it already, here is a link (you will have to log in): http://apps.facebook.com/wikimono/page?page_gid=289

Thanks

Rosa

P.S. I just realised some people might not know what wikis are - think Wikipedia. And Wikia is a company that runs lots of wikis.
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

Hi Rosa, welcome (back), and keep posting! :)

I have a facebook account, but to access your wiki thing I need to let them have access to my personal info and advertise on my profile. And that's just to look at what you've done so far!

Anyway, in an attempt to be constructive, there must be a lot of stuff on line that you can legally copy and paste, or at least paraphrase? (Wikipedia itself has a big entry on CH)
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

btw, is there a ch group on facebook yet?
AndrewH
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by AndrewH »

Ajarn Philip wrote:btw, is there a ch group on facebook yet?
There is an Old Blues one plus various smaller groups.
Andrew Harrison
Maine A 1970-73
Lamb A 1973-77
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

Thank you so much for explaining, Rosa. I got a wikimona invitation on Facebook but didn't know what to do with it - my status there reflects just that.

BTW wasn't there a girl called Rosa who nearly got sued by yellow pages for starting up a most successful internet rival? I read all about it a year or two back. Must be something in the name .......

From a journal of the time ....

Rosa said "Maybe they are a bit jealous of Yellowikis because we allow companies to add videos, skype IDs, email addresses, instant messaging, in as many categories and languages as they like for free." Rosa suggested to her father that they set up Yellowikis after she noticed small businesses were deleted from Wikipedia for not being "encyclopaedic".

Yellowikis has been growing at 8.7% month-on-month and has 494 editors and about 5,000 articles listed.

The threat of legal action came after an article published in The Independent newspaper mentioned Yellowikis.

Obviously, that Rosa had some very bright ideas and is no doubt going to be a highly successful person.

Anyway, I am sure you will be just as successful and, hopefully, not sued! You should get in touch with Rosa and ask for her advice and obvious expertise

PS Your old handle was Rosa.b
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
rosab
2nd Former

Post by rosab »

Yes - she does sound like an amazingly intelligent girl!
AndrewH
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by AndrewH »

Rosa

You (or someone anyway) describe the various Old Blues after who the house blocks are names as writers. While it is probably true that they all wrote see this previous topic about some of them!
Andrew Harrison
Maine A 1970-73
Lamb A 1973-77
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

There are a number of CH related groups on Facebook including: Old Blues, Maine A, Christ's Hospital Band and even the Bruce Grindley Appreciation Sociert... :lol:
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

Barnes B group.
Amy Leadbeater
BaB 2000-01, Gre W01-02

Check out my blog http://leadpencils.blogspot.com/
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

.... and, of course, YOBs Afloat
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

blondie95 wrote:Barnes B group.
I signed up to Facebook earlier today - haven't had a chance to look properly yet though - will check the BaB group out if I can suss it all out :roll: :lol:
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

OK - been on there looking and I can't find the BaB group although I think I've found you :lol: Is that you in a suitcase? :shock: :lol:
Eruresto
Grecian

Post by Eruresto »

Ajarn Philip wrote:btw, is there a ch group on facebook yet?
Loads of them. I myself founded The Cult of the Yellow Stocking - for all fanatics out there!
Joshua Bell: PeA 2002-2008, GrW 2008-9
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Great Plum wrote:There are a number of CH related groups on Facebook including: Old Blues, Maine A, Christ's Hospital Band and even the Bruce Grindley Appreciation Sociert... :lol:
To be honest, I'd never even heard of the thing until you mentioned that you had started an Old Blues Day group.

I've now succumbed and signed up. Perhaps some of us should start a 'Raise the average age of Facebook users' group......

I have watch out for rude things being posted on my wall thingy, though.
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

Vonny wrote:OK - been on there looking and I can't find the BaB group although I think I've found you :lol: Is that you in a suitcase? :shock: :lol:
Will you be my friend? :lol: I poked you earlier :lol: (hope JR's not reading this)