Old Blues on TV

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

footy
2nd Former

Old Blues on TV

Post by footy »

Hi All

Don't suppose any of you are fans of 'Spooks' on BBC 1, but I realised last night that one of the newer characters in the show is an OB a few years younger than me called Alex Lanipekun. The character is called Ben Kaplan Can't remember any more details, but I was Thorn B and then Mid A 90-97.

Footy. :D
Eruresto
Grecian

Post by Eruresto »

I love how OBs get everywhere...I might go to any job interviews with CH cufflinks or a CH tie...you never know what might happen!
Joshua Bell: PeA 2002-2008, GrW 2008-9
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Eruresto wrote:I love how OBs get everywhere...I might go to any job interviews with CH cufflinks or a CH tie...you never know what might happen!
The CH tie (striped version) is hardly unique.
I went to dinner one evening and the 70+ year old ex-Etonian, ex-guards navy and who-knows-what-else next to me was wearing an identical tie (or so it seemed).

It turned out that on his tie the lines are not perfectly straight and it is the official tie of the "wavy-navy" (Royal Naval Volunteer Resarve to non-members).
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

I was on the same year as Alex (the actor in Spooks) and I didn't recognise him!!
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

Hello Footy, welcome to the Forum !
You will have been in the same year as my son - can't remember though if he was Mid A or B ( Seb Bonnet).
B.
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."
Alex S-B
2nd Former

Re: Old Blues on TV

Post by Alex S-B »

Nately, a 100% Old Blue band now that there's just two of us left, finally made it onto the small screen last night in a feature on ITV's London Tonight about a competition to find a band to play at the Olympic handover in August 2008. It was only about 15 seconds, but combined with CH on Blue Peter and Charlie Hazlewood's excellent "How Pop Songs Work" on BBC4, it was a pretty good day for Old Blues and CH in general on TV.

Blue Peter
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/page/item/b008nkyy.shtml

How Pop Songs Work
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/page/item/b008nk4h.shtml

Nately on London Tonight
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reqEOps_pr0
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

was listening to Chris Evans talking to Charlie Haizlewood on R" drivetime last night. I didn't know he was an OB, but he sounded like one.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Young Barnes Wallis has just (1430hours or so today) been on Discovery re-enacting some of the experiments his father carried out in designing the bouncing bomb.

Given he was at CH when I was there I wonder if I look as old! (He was wearing a sleeveless cardigan very similar to that worn by his father in the film clips shown in the programme). I certainly didn't recognise him.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
cstegerlewis
Deputy Grecian

Post by cstegerlewis »

englishangel wrote:was listening to Chris Evans talking to Charlie Haizlewood on R" drivetime last night. I didn't know he was an OB, but he sounded like one.
Certainly is, although I am sure I have told you that before!
Craig Steger-Lewis
Ba.B 25, Mid B 25, Mid A42
1982-1989
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

sejinetej says:
"Young Barnes Wallis has just (1430hours or so today) been on Discovery re-enacting some of the experiments his father carried out in designing the bouncing bomb. Given he was at CH when I was there I wonder if I look as old! (He was wearing a sleeveless cardigan very similar to that worn by his father in the film clips shown in the programme). I certainly didn't recognise him."

Are you sure you are correct? I had several long meetings with "young" Barnes Wallis in the lead-up to Old Blues Day 2003, which was the celebration of 50 years of his father's RAF Foundationers' Trust, and I am certain that he never claimed to be an Old Blue. Obviously, we talked a lot about Housie, but it never seemed to me that he had ever done more than pay an occasional visit.

If I am wrong I apologise

:shock:
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Roger Allam (Pe B, Th A 64-72 I think!) played a TV producer called Tom Sloane in a drama about the making of the comedy series Steptoe And Son and the effect on the lives of Wilfrid Brambell and Harry H Corbett, the actors who played Steptoe and Son.

This was shown on BBC 4 last night.

It probably isn't mentioned anywhere in his biography but Roger was a useful wing threequarter and represented the School 2nd and 3rd XVs.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

Mid A 15 wrote:It probably isn't mentioned anywhere in his biography but Roger was a useful wing threequarter and represented the School 2nd and 3rd XVs.
See Spoonbill's post elsewhere (Gawd love 'im) - that would be why Roger became an actor then? :lol:
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I only ever talked to the 'old' Barnes-Wallis, (Sir), when he visited the school, so I can't help.

Such a quiet unassuming man, who I discovered later, lived only five miles from me at Effingham.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

footy wrote:Hi All

Don't suppose any of you are fans of 'Spooks' on BBC 1, but I realised last night that one of the newer characters in the show is an OB a few years younger than me called Alex Lanipekun. The character is called Ben Kaplan Can't remember any more details, but I was Thorn B and then Mid A 90-97.

Footy. :D
I almost made a new thread: OB found dead in MI5 archive!
sadly the character Ben came to a sticky end at the hands of a dastardly traitor.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
Ed Mayhew
2nd Former

Post by Ed Mayhew »

Well I've been on Brazilian tv a couple of times, not sure if that counts though!
http://www.myspace.com/edmayhewacousticmusic

ThB-MaA-GrE

"I've spent most of my money on drink, drugs and women. The rest I just wasted."