Becomming a New Dep

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Urgh-My-Pancreas
GE (Great Erasmus)

Becomming a New Dep

Post by Urgh-My-Pancreas »

Hello!
This is my first post to this forum, and I hope nobody minds me doing so, as I'm not a full member of the whole CH world - yet - I have just been offered a conditional place for the sixth form beginning in September of this year.
I came across the site and thought "Huzzah!" as there were many things I forgot to ask on my interview day.
So, feel free to throw rocks at me or whatever for 1. joining this exclusive club and 2. for asking questions that have probably been asked a million and 1 times already! :P
Anyway, the one question that has been burning on my mind is that of my hair colour... it happens to be bright red and has been for a number of years (i will have a picture eventually) and as a result of this i have become quite attatched to it. I was wondering if there were any specific rules about hair colour and the frequent re-dying process that i have to go through every few months. I remember reading somewhere that "no eye-catching hair colours" were allowed, but i was hoping to understand the real meaning of this and if there were any ways of bending the rules, as nobody mentioned it on the open day or the interview days.
That's all for the mo, but rest assured that there will be many more on the way!
hope someone can help.
Thanks, Idgie
xxx
be excellent to one another!
Lightbulbbroken
UF (Upper Fourth)

Re: Becomming a New Dep

Post by Lightbulbbroken »

Is it bright red, kinda spiky>? quite tall
If so I remember seeing you on interview day, if not the above, another brightly coloured hair girl I suppose.
Well done on getting a place, lucky you!
congrats and good luck for next year.
You'll find all you need to know on the Deputy Grecian-2007+ thread.
Incase you're wondering why I'm here that's on the Waiting List and Deputy Grecians thread :D
[size=85]You can also find Pan on Facebook, Myspace and Gaia should you so choose. :D [/size]
Lightbulbbroken
UF (Upper Fourth)

ps. The Forum seems a little dead tonight :?
[size=85]You can also find Pan on Facebook, Myspace and Gaia should you so choose. :D [/size]
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

Another new dep! Welcome on board, despite problems with your internal organs, UMP.

I think it' s unlikely that you'll be able to keep your current hair colour so you might have to be prepared to dye it to an 'acceptable' shade and wear it tied back if it's long. A current person would know. Anyway red will clash with the yellow socks ... :wink: Flat tops and goth hair dos were the thing in my day, but I always had long hair in a pony tail. Very boring.
Lightbulbbroken wrote:ps. The Forum seems a little dead tonight :?
Stemming the flow of rain water, possibly. Or out in canoes. The contingent from the southern hemisphere will probably be on later.
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
Eruresto
Grecian

Post by Eruresto »

Hello! Welcome to the forum and congratulations! (And thanks for posting since it means that I'm definitely not walking into a precedent trap...unless you look at it from the other direction, in which case there's double the chances that I am...)

Anyway, Welcome, and a word of advice. The new head is relatively conservative compared to Big Pete - and I say Good For Him - but I would avoid the hair colours. During Lesson time, anyway...perhaps a wig would help?

Josh Bell, current Deputy Grecian (Peele A 2002-present)
Joshua Bell: PeA 2002-2008, GrW 2008-9
Lightbulbbroken
UF (Upper Fourth)

cj wrote:
Lightbulbbroken wrote:ps. The Forum seems a little dead tonight :?
Stemming the flow of rain water, possibly. Or out in canoes. The contingent from the southern hemisphere will probably be on later.
True true, but where are all the northerners? Maybe they've disappeared into thin air just like the un-holy tights buried in the land of 5 sets of Ikea draws :shock:
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Thoughts on hair

Post by Angela Woodford »

Urgh-My-Pancreas wrote: the one question that has been burning on my mind is that of my hair colour... it happens to be bright red and has been for a number of years (i will have a picture eventually) and as a result of this i have become quite attatched to it. I was wondering if there were any specific rules about hair colour and the frequent re-dying process that i have to go through every few months. I remember reading somewhere that "no eye-catching hair colours" were allowed,
I have been giving this hair crisis question considerable thought, but can't resist telling you a Hertford Memory - when a new girl in 1964 admitted to a Junior House, we were only allowed to have our hair washed once a week by someone coming in from a Senior House to wash us. drying it by swishing our heads up and down, finishing by a hairblast from the drier wielded by our sadistically rough Housemistress Millie. And ow! for long hair! No conditioner then....

Anyway, last year I had a great longing for blue hair. (Old Blue? :lol: ) To achieve this, I would have had to bleach my very dark hair and have a blue colour put on - tricky, and bad for condition. Instead, I did a blue/black semipermanent colour, and twisted through strands of a blue gel. It worked well.

If you have to go back to a natural-ish colour, when it's OK you could do red strands as highlights, and if challenged, point out that they'll wash out at once. I saw a terrific brilliant red gel - could do the trick?

Munch
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Eruresto wrote:Hello! Welcome to the forum and congratulations! (And thanks for posting since it means that I'm definitely not walking into a precedent trap...unless you look at it from the other direction, in which case there's double the chances that I am...)

Anyway, Welcome, and a word of advice. The new head is relatively conservative compared to Big Pete - and I say Good For Him - but I would avoid the hair colours. During Lesson time, anyway...perhaps a wig would help?

Josh Bell, current Deputy Grecian (Peele A 2002-present)
Of course, Josh has red hair at school :lol:

Welcome to the forum and congrats... To be honest with you, the ruling on this seems to have changed somewhat since I was at CH (9 *gulp* years ago) - I would check with the powers that be...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
ben ashton
Grecian

Post by ben ashton »

Anything thats deemed 'attention seeking' wasn't allowed, including shaving off hair completely!
Cherish pity; lest you drive an angel from your door

LaB 1, MidB 40, 97-02
Urgh-My-Pancreas
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Urgh-My-Pancreas »

wow! thanks everyone, i'll bear all of it in mind (wigs and all) and begin my plan of action...
what if i continued to dye my hair but a more 'natural' colour? do many other people dye their hair?

another thought that came to me was about telly. This thought occurred when i was reminded that Torchwood is back again at 9:00 tonight!!!
i don't tend to watch telly that much normaly, but there are a certain few programes that i find unmissable (Doctor Who for example :lol: ), so i was wondering what the deal with TV is. If there was something on at a time like 9 would that be seen as too late? stuffs like that.

xxx
idgie
be excellent to one another!
Eruresto
Grecian

Post by Eruresto »

Oi, Matt! At least I have hair.... :lol:

A few people dye their hair, but mostly black - as long as it's not too outlandish it's acceptable. With regards to TV, 9 isn't too late (you're a dep, bed is 10:45, lights out 11pm), more that it's 15 minutes too early (prep ends at 9:15) but if you build up a good record with prep being in on time etc, you could probably get away with it.

JJB
Joshua Bell: PeA 2002-2008, GrW 2008-9
Apalacia
3rd Former

Post by Apalacia »

Hi.

Well, I had varying shades of mahagony.....so that it wasn't too eyecatching. They will not be best pleased with a bright dyed red I wouldn't think....mainly due to the fact that you will be 'on show' so to speak to people, especially for marching.

R.e TV - You will have 2 hours of 'prep' time (homework) during the evening, from 7:15 - 9:15, after that you are free to do what you want, and there will be a TV in your common room. Normally I think that Deps are sent up in most houses at 11? So you should be able to watch whatever you want, as long as everyone else wants to watch it. You will have no choice when Big Brother is on though, so try to download some if you are going to take your own laptop. You won't be able to download them while at school so stockpile at home!

Hope that helps!

Amanda Mazur
LHB 1998-2004, GrE 2004-2005
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

haird dying is not too serius if its nturalish! althoug saying that im quite sure someone on my year from Hunt had pink/reddish hair. Me i spent an afternoon at the end of each term in the hairdressers in Horhsam having my hair rehighlighted as it decided to go darker as i hit 17!

As for tele, you can watch it quite freely from 9:15 just as long as the others dont mind!
Amy Leadbeater
BaB 2000-01, Gre W01-02

Check out my blog http://leadpencils.blogspot.com/
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

What about makeup? Is it allowed?

I remember being in deep trouble for wearing a bit of clear nail polish :lol: :lol: :lol: though Euterpe13 got away with more in our day, including the introduction of the Sloaney style of tying her hair back at the sides whilst hitting the collar at the back. But then she had such great hair that DR tolerated it... :? ...

Munch
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

What would happen if -

ben ashton wrote:Anything thats deemed 'attention seeking' wasn't allowed, including shaving off hair completely!
any of the guys shaved their hair off completely? What could they do? :axe: Confine until regrown? Without a doubt, it's a "neat and tidy" look...

Hmm, just wondering!

Munch