Holly Walsh

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Great Plum
Button Grecian

Holly Walsh

Post by Great Plum »

Holly was a girl on my year in Leigh Hunt B... (1992-1999)

I've just found out that she was presenting CBBC over the half term break...

She is also a stand up comedian apparently... http://www.pbjmgt.co.uk/clients/holly-w ... raphy.html

And to think she said no to me when I asked her out on Scout Camp at the end of my squits!
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: Holly Walsh

Post by J.R. »

One wonders if maybe scout camp might not have been the place to ask !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Great Plum wrote:Holly was a girl on my year in Leigh Hunt B... (1992-1999)

I've just found out that she was presenting CBBC over the half term break...

She is also a stand up comedian apparently... http://www.pbjmgt.co.uk/clients/holly-w ... raphy.html

And to think she said no to me when I asked her out on Scout Camp at the end of my squits!
Did she WOGGLE OUT of going out with you? :wink:
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

OH DEAR !!! :axe:
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Eruresto
Grecian

Post by Eruresto »

Awwwwwww, Matt!
Joshua Bell: PeA 2002-2008, GrW 2008-9
blondie95
Button Grecian

Post by blondie95 »

it conjured up suc an image-a mini plum approaching a girl at a camp fire......
Amy Leadbeater
BaB 2000-01, Gre W01-02

Check out my blog http://leadpencils.blogspot.com/
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

I wondered if I should have confessed this.... :oops:
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

NO
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

I went to one of these scout camp fires in Shelley wood a year or so ago; I do know that the scout leader in charge managed to lose all the girls in the wood on the return late at night. I don't know if they were ever found again.
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Alan P5age wrote:I understand they went feral and had to be caught in nets.
Using a senior scout (Josh?) sprayed with Lynx as the tethered goat?
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

englishangel wrote: Using a senior scout (Josh?) sprayed with Lynx as the tethered goat?
Very good, Mary! :lol: :lol: :lol: Love it!
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

it's obviously catching
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Alan P5age wrote: "In her daydreams, Antonia would picture herself being carried off by some marauding Arab tribe and becoming the darling of a handsome sheik; or else, captured on the high seas by pirates and sold as a slave, she would end up in the Harem of some cruel, voluptuous Pasha. But all the same it was all very nice and respectable; the Sheik, like the heroes of popular fiction, was a perfect gentleman and, while in the harem there might possibly be other wives, Antonia herself was the only legitimate one."
"The Camel " - Lord Berners

Now why has this particular passage sprung out at me? Any ideas?
Can't think why, Alan, however it brought back a memory. When a certain Ghanaian Chief wanted to marry me, as I was so beautiful, I was assured that in spite of the 15 wives and 42 children he had already I would be treated as the Senior Wife. I didn't think too much of the price he was prepared to pay for me - 4 cows and seven goats for the chap I was with at the time, plus further cows to be sent to my parents in Britain.

A short while later I was telling this story and a certain young British Council Officer reckoned I was vastly over priced and he would wait for the end of season sales .... Reader, I married him!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Katharine wrote: Can't think why, Alan, however it brought back a memory. When a certain Ghanaian Chief wanted to marry me, as I was so beautiful,
Katharine, what you omit is that the Akan standard of beauty in a woman is governed by her vital statistics. A woman's wrist should be thicker than a grown man's thigh and the rest in proportion. The background is that it proves that her father is rich enough to feed her well.
We had a young Akan woman in the office - twenty stone if she was a pound; attractive but I kept well clear to avoid suffocation! I suspect Dunlopillo has nothing on them in causing motion sickness!
Katharine wrote: I was assured that in spite of the 15 wives and 42 children he had already I would be treated as the Senior Wife. I didn't think too much of the price he was prepared to pay for me - 4 cows and seven goats for the chap I was with at the time, plus further cows to be sent to my parents in Britain.
A short while later I was telling this story and a certain young British Council Officer reckoned I was vastly over priced and he would wait for the end of season sales .... Reader, I married him!
I love it; I suspect that you cost him the "savings" over the years?

Surely a wife is worth 20 cows but a second hand wife only ten cows. I don't know the goat exchange rate. A young cousin of my wife was given 5 cows as a christening present 45 years ago - he still hasn't married.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

sejintenej wrote: Katharine, what you omit is that the Akan standard of beauty in a woman is governed by her vital statistics. A woman's wrist should be thicker than a grown man's thigh and the rest in proportion. The background is that it proves that her father is rich enough to feed her well.
We had a young Akan woman in the office - twenty stone if she was a pound; attractive but I kept well clear to avoid suffocation! I suspect Dunlopillo has nothing on them in causing motion sickness!
Thank you David for those few kind words - however we weren't in Akan country but Frafra I think. It was certainly in the far north of Ghana.

We had gone out for a drive one Sunday, two male members of staff the small boy and myself. The small boy being the house boy who worked for us and rejoiced in his choice of name, Stanislaus Clement Ebenezer. How he came to choose those names I never learnt. He must have been in his mid-teens at the time. When we lost the track and got lost we found this chief's compound and went in for Stan to get us directions. The marriage negotiations had to take place before we could get our directions. We did manage to return to the school where we all lived and worked.

Thinking about mattresses were they showing the seductive photos to advertise Vono (?) mattresses when you were there? These had a lovely young lady, not one of the giantesses you describe, reclining on a mattress and had the caption Comfort on a Vono mattress (For those who don't know Ghana, at that time, if not now, Comfort was a popular choice for a girl's name. I taught several girls called Comfort)
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965