clothes and the man

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

michael scuffil
Button Grecian

clothes and the man

Post by michael scuffil »

The difference clothes make. These pics were taken within a fortnight of each other. One shows the CH contingent at the 1962 Aldermaston March (me with stick after 5 days had taken their toll of my feet), the other me newly embuttoned: to quote Coleridge in the same situation (himself quoting Nero in a rather different predicament), Credo me deum fieri...
Th.B. 27 1955-63
Katharine
Button Grecian

Re: clothes and the man

Post by Katharine »

I can't imagine protesters today dressed as the CH contingent on the Aldermaston March. It really is a dated photo isn't it?

I have always liked the idea of extra buttons to show distinction in a Housey uniform. I knew about the buttons long before I knew that there were velvet cuffs too. Were the buttons awarded at the end of term and then someone had to provide you with a new coat in time to wear on the journey home?
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Katharine wrote:Were the buttons awarded at the end of term and then someone had to provide you with a new coat in time to wear on the journey home?
Button Grecians were allowed to wear "civvies" on journeys to and from home.

When you were awarded buttons, you went to the Wardrobe, where they looked to see if there was a coat to fit you. They also measured you for a new one. If a hand-me-down existed (it would have been some leaver's best coat), that was your ordinary coat, and the bespoke coat was your best. If none existed, you'd have to wait till yours was tailored. I got my buttons at the end of a term, and my new coat was waiting at the start of the next. (I had to see the Lady Superintendent about getting a best coat. She was reluctant, saying a Grecian's coat cost 30 pounds -- that's about 450 in today's money.)
If you were a Button Grecian for more than a year, you moved into your best coat and another best was made.
Button Grecians had various privileges. Some were a bit silly, like being able to use the Grecians' Path, but some were literally valuable. More money from the Lord Mayor (1/2 guinea for Second Partings, 1 guinea for First) and pocket money from the school called "Q-shott". This was substantial -- I forget exactly how much, but I think it was 3 pounds a term for First Partings.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

Michael,
Fascinated by your reference to "Q-shott", I am sure that you are right but I got as far as probationary Grecian, and have never heard of it before. Can you (or anyone else) elaborate at all, please? Does it still go on?
CH has/had many of these quirky customs, many of them now discontinued and lost in the mists of time.
:shock:
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Re "Q-shott" (that was how Seaman spelt it), it was kept rather quiet. At some time in the middle of term, the SG passed around a message in the headmaster's handwriting, and we presented ourselves individually in his School Study at break, and took the money (and ran!). (It is possible it was only for First Partings, I forget.)
Th.B. 27 1955-63
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Not only dated, but doesn't it make them look old, like their fathers. Hertford girls of the same era would have worn gloves and hats I suppose, and looked like their mothers.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Actually I thought I looked quite young in the top photo, and the guy with the guitar -- surely you still see people like him around on these occasions? (I'm glad to see the future SG on this photo is wearing a tie.)

But the Grecian -- does he look 17?
Th.B. 27 1955-63
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

I loved the photo of the Aldermaston Protestors Michael - the guy with the guitar? Is he just exhausted with protesting, or is he hiding his face from publicity?
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

The guy with the guitar was definitely not publicity-shy -- ask JR, who must have known him well. I guess we were all pretty tired -- this was the last day of the March, the pic was taken outside Hyde Park Barracks.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

michael scuffil wrote:The guy with the guitar was definitely not publicity-shy -- ask JR, who must have known him well. I guess we were all pretty tired -- this was the last day of the March, the pic was taken outside Hyde Park Barracks.
I'm afraid a clue is required, Michael. I've looked and looked and cannot come up with a name.

PM me, if modesty prevents..................

I hadn'rt realised that CH had a CND contingent in my last couple of years, however, I'm afraid I was very anti-commie and very pro-western defence in those days.

How times and views change !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

JR
This is Nick Mudie, surely you remember HIM?
Th.B. 27 1955-63
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

michael scuffil wrote:JR
This is Nick Mudie, surely you remember HIM?
http://chforum.info/php/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=508

First picture, which I posted.

Back row, third from the left as you view, if memory serves. Strangely enough, thinking back - CND and Nick would seem to be appropriate.

I was highly right wing in those days, as you pointed out once before !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

J.R. wrote:I was highly right wing in those days, as you pointed out once before !
Hard to believe, JR... :wink:
nic mudie
2nd Former

Post by nic mudie »

I am now somewhat to the right of Genghis Kahn. Anyone wishing to drink from the acid fount of wisdom proffered by the writer or thirsting for increasingly caustic remarks of an ontological nature should put put 'nic mudie comments the economist' into google. Some of them make even less sense than the author because they are rapier like thrusts delivered with a broadsword at those who presumed to challenge the wisdom of the fool on the hill - the causus belli in each instance being not printed. Have a go at my revised Marseillaise written the day after Noramale 1er's a.k.a. Flamby election last year in France. Amongst the above mentioned senescent juvenilia there is a three part piece of uncalled for advice to Baby Face C. before he made that speech on Europe. No. 10 was civil enough to reply.

Dedicated to Stephen Clarke with apologies to Claude Rouget de Lisle

La Tulleraise

Allons énarques, quelle coterie

Le jour de gloire est retourné

Contre nous la haute finance

D’intérêt le taux s’est levé

D’intérêt le taux s’est levé

Entendez vous dans vos campagnes

Rougir les forces de Melenchon.

Sarko se casse lui-même , pauvre con,

Marine se peine d’être sa compagne.

Aux urnes citoyens ! Même chose ça ne change plus !

Flanby, flamande

Dimanche 6 mai n’était qu’un pure ‘si’ – mais.
Rex
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Rex »

By the time I was a Button Grecian, "Q-shott" had been renamed "beer money".