Fiona Bruce at CH

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Re: Fiona Bruce at CH

Post by Angela Woodford »

(Alas, I've never had a sexy sprinkling of freckles - they're most attractive. I add them with a light brown eye pencil!)

I don't particularly like Fiona Bruce - but I love the way some of you guys worship her...

:heart: :heart: :heart:
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I've always found freckles very sexy.

The problem in my younger days was sometimes actually 'finding' them !!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

You ARE feeling better......
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

I first got to meet my current husband by smiling at him as I hovered about by a photocopying machine. One day (he was shy) he approached me and asked carefully if I could explain why my freckles were in different places over my nose each day.

Rather sweet, I thought!
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

If freckles are supposed to be so sexy, why is it that as they get larger and more obvious they become known as ages spots?

Frances Grogan (Haley)
Sixes 1956- 62
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Welcome Frances, a pithy first post in the true spirit of the forum. :lol:
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

Welcome Frances, and what a pity that it's true about freckles.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

Thanks Mary - I've only just discovered this forum.
Did anyone else recognise that the photo of Fiona Bruce in the current Radio times was taken in the cloisters at Horsham? I am an avid watcher of Who Do you Think You Are?, having started researching my own family history at about the age of 14, whilst at Hertford. In those days we did it the hard way - hauling heavy registers on and off shelves at St Catherine's House, and pearing at microfilm in negative - none of this namby-pamby online stuff! these days I obviously use a computer, but can't say I have made enormous headway in recent years, except mainly with my husband's family - my mother-in-law was one of about 19 children - the number varies according to whom you ask!

Are there any other genealogy nuts out there in the ranks of Old Bluedom, I wonder?

midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

Almost certanly- there must be as many types of nuttiness as there are OBs.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Thanks Midget. I did a flurry of investigation a couple of years ago. I had a head start as my fatheer's family had been traced back to a Huguenot coming from France in 1563 but I traced some of my mother's family back to the early 19th century. I have also tried tracing my husband's family but hace come unstuck on his father's side as his Dad was the youngest and they are all dead and no-one seems to know what his parents names were.

There is a total of 202 people in my tree on Genes Reunited. Dwarfed by a distant relative in Australia who has got about 450 in her tree. Our mutual relative was my great-great-grandfather from 1843 and she has added all my family down to me and my sibs which is a bit of a cheat I feel.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

englishangel wrote:Thanks Midget. I did a flurry of investigation a couple of years ago. I had a head start as my fatheer's family had been traced back to a Huguenot coming from France in 1563 but I traced some of my mother's family back to the early 19th century. I have also tried tracing my husband's family but hace come unstuck on his father's side as his Dad was the youngest and they are all dead and no-one seems to know what his parents names were.

There is a total of 202 people in my tree on Genes Reunited. Dwarfed by a distant relative in Australia who has got about 450 in her tree. Our mutual relative was my great-great-grandfather from 1843 and she has added all my family down to me and my sibs which is a bit of a cheat I feel.
Sorry I'm unclear as to whether it is the parents of your husband's father or grandfather whom are unkown.

However if you know the name and birthday of the relevant person then (if born after 1837 which they probably were) it is possible to search the relevant quarter of registration for certificate details. If you have a place of birth you can narrow it down still further. You can then obtain a copy birth certificate which will give you the names (and maiden name of the mother) of both parents as well as place of birth and occupation of the father.

If you order over the phone it costs £8.50 or £11 depending on how much information you can supply ie name, district, volume and page number. If you supply all that info it is the cheaper rate.

Try this site:

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/

Let me know if you would like any help.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

Hello Frances! Do you remember me? I started at CH the same year as Maria and met you when Maria & I came to Hertford to take the entrance exam in January 1981! I remember you chatting to my mum when we got off the Green Line bus! I've fairly recently got back in touch with Maria on Facebook and was only talking about our first meeting the other day!
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

Yes Yvonne I remember you being homesick! If you are in touch with Maria you will know that she is about to provide us with a second grandchild, albeit in Finland! We were just discussing on Skype how many mothers and daughters were taught by the same teachers ( eg Miss Jukes and Miss Wilson). I think she is threatening to start a new thread on the subject somewhere on this forum.

englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Mid A 15 wrote:
englishangel wrote:Thanks Midget. I did a flurry of investigation a couple of years ago. I had a head start as my fatheer's family had been traced back to a Huguenot coming from France in 1563 but I traced some of my mother's family back to the early 19th century. I have also tried tracing my husband's family but hace come unstuck on his father's side as his Dad was the youngest and they are all dead and no-one seems to know what his parents names were.

Sorry I'm unclear as to whether it is the parents of your husband's father or grandfather whom are unkown.

However if you know the name and birthday of the relevant person then (if born after 1837 which they probably were) it is possible to search the relevant quarter of registration for certificate details. If you have a place of birth you can narrow it down still further. You can then obtain a copy birth certificate which will give you the names (and maiden name of the mother) of both parents as well as place of birth and occupation of the father.

If you order over the phone it costs £8.50 or £11 depending on how much information you can supply ie name, district, volume and page number. If you supply all that info it is the cheaper rate.

Try this site:

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/

Let me know if you would like any help.
It is my husband's grandparents I don't know. Well I do but their names were so common and I don't know where they were born so I can't track them back. I probably will one day, especially as the 1911 census is now available. But as I said I did all the work in 6 weeks a couple of years ago and then my enthusiasm waned.
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

Fjgrogan wrote:Yes Yvonne I remember you being homesick! If you are in touch with Maria you will know that she is about to provide us with a second grandchild, albeit in Finland!
:lol: I was homesick to start off with!

Yes I had heard about your second grandchild. I have 2 girls myself aged 10 (in a couple of weeks) and 7!
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41