Current/Former Staff who were at CH

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Re: Current/Former Staff who were at CH

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

The only Dr I remember in the 40s was Dr. Lang.
Director of Music, composer of many anthems etc.-----Nunc Dimmitus -- Lang in D ?
He strode about Chapel in a gorgeous Green Hood -- from which Uni, I know not -- which rather showed up the White Rabbit Fur and Pale red, which seemed to abound.
D S Macnutt (Ximenes of the Times) wore no hood in Chapel.--- Rumour had it, at the time, that he had been thrown out of Oxford -- although a brilliant Classics Scholar.
This may extend this Thread ----- but I think it might provide some fascinating Research ! ! :oops:
Kim2s70-77
Grecian

Post by Kim2s70-77 »

Somewhere I have a copy of J E Morpurgo's book on Barnes Wallis, that i got both of them to sign when they were at Hertford one Speech Day. Wonder where I put it?
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

Kim2s70-77 wrote:Somewhere I have a copy of J E Morpurgo's book on Barnes Wallis, that i got both of them to sign when they were at Hertford one Speech Day. Wonder where I put it?
E-Bay?
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Yes, I've seen it there from time to time!
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

:offtopic:

Can someone clarify this Doctor of Science matter. Rob got his doctorate (of Philosophy = Ph.D) at UMIST in electrical engineering/computer technology and AFAIK they did not award any D.Sc. Also the Ph.D gown did not have any red in it.

Were the references to red and D.SC tied to specific other universities?
:backtotopic:
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Every University has its own colours and even designs for gowns and hoods for different Awards. So there is a multitude of options... if someone is graduating from a University they have to name the University and the Award so that exactly the right outfit is provided.
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

Macnutt was a Cambridge MA. By the time I was there he'd found his white silk hood (or bought a new one).

The Cambridge Ph.D ordinary gown is black like all ordinary gowns. The "scarlet" version is also black, but has scarlet cloth facings (I know, I have one: not a gown, but a Cambridge Ph.D. I put the gown on for a photo-shoot after the ceremony.) The hood is scarlet. (Van Praagh was a Cambridge PhD, but I never saw him in a gown with scarlet facings.)

Most music teachers were Mus.B. or B.Mus. All Oxbridge bachelor hoods have fur in them. A BA is just fur, but other bachelors (music, medicine) have white fur with coloured silk (in Cambridge, plum-coloured for music).
Th.B. 27 1955-63
AMP
Deputy Grecian

Post by AMP »

Just saw this

CH connection somewhere

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-49936323

I remember a Mrs Morpurgo who was a teacher in the 80s
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

viewtopic.php?t=3740&start=15
by kerrensimmonds » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:41 pm
Morpurgo is a big CH name. JE wrote a number of books around the subject (you can check him out in Who's Blue 1997). He had (at least) two sons - and Linda, the wife of Mark Morpurgo, taught English at CH for a while in circa the 1980's.
loringa
Deputy Grecian

Post by loringa »

Jack Morpurgo's obituary from the Telegraph is here: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/boo ... purgo.html

I like this bit: A proud "Old Blue", Morpurgo always felt that he owed the school a great debt for the excellent start he had been given in life.

He liked to recall an occasion when "a brutish politician had poured out his bilious and cliche-ridden diatribe against Independent Schools". When it was pointed out that these accusations of spoiled privilege could hardly be levelled at Christ's Hospital, the aggressor replied: "Christ's Hospital I despise and fear more than I despise Eton or fear Winchester. Eton and Winchester merely perpetuate privilege; Christ's Hospital creates it."

But when Morpurgo wanted to send his own sons there, he was told that he had too much money. This did nothing to lessen his admiration for his old school, and in 1991 he published Christ's Hospital: An Introductory History.

Sums it all up really.
Avon
Deputy Grecian

Post by Avon »

loringa wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:56 am "Christ's Hospital I despise and fear more than I despise Eton or fear Winchester. Eton and Winchester merely perpetuate privilege; Christ's Hospital creates it."
Not the first time I’ve heard that. It’s rather chilling...

Our in-house loony will be along shortly to tell you why you’ve misunderquoted the story.
Pe.A
Deputy Grecian

Post by Pe.A »

loringa wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:56 am Jack Morpurgo's obituary from the Telegraph is here: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/boo ... purgo.html

I like this bit: A proud "Old Blue", Morpurgo always felt that he owed the school a great debt for the excellent start he had been given in life.

He liked to recall an occasion when "a brutish politician had poured out his bilious and cliche-ridden diatribe against Independent Schools". When it was pointed out that these accusations of spoiled privilege could hardly be levelled at Christ's Hospital, the aggressor replied: "Christ's Hospital I despise and fear more than I despise Eton or fear Winchester. Eton and Winchester merely perpetuate privilege; Christ's Hospital creates it."

But when Morpurgo wanted to send his own sons there, he was told that he had too much money. This did nothing to lessen his admiration for his old school, and in 1991 he published Christ's Hospital: An Introductory History.

Sums it all up really.
Anyone have any idea who the 'brutish politician' was...?
Pe.A
Deputy Grecian

Post by Pe.A »

Avon wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:10 pm
loringa wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:56 am "Christ's Hospital I despise and fear more than I despise Eton or fear Winchester. Eton and Winchester merely perpetuate privilege; Christ's Hospital creates it."
Not the first time I’ve heard that. It’s rather chilling...

Our in-house loony will be along shortly to tell you why you’ve misunderquoted the story.
Misunderquoted...?
AMP
Deputy Grecian

Post by AMP »

It was Hattersley, although I think the quotation is inaccurate.

He despises CH "because it perpetuates privilege"