GRECIANS CLUB

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Re: GRECIANS CLUB

Post by wurzel »

From memory price list from 1988/9

K&B Best 64p
festive 74p
white shield 78p
strongbow 68p

niknaks 20p ?

chits £2.50 for £2.46 worth, no more than 2 pints at a visit to the bar to stop rounds. Housemasters wouldn't sell you more than a book so lots of buying for other people.

Allowed in first of the month you were 17 in so the first day of the month was usually a procession of glasses being passed around for donations for the new members.

Omeara and Carrington I think were the masters in charge and they still did club lunches on a sunday - ploughmans in summer fish fingers and chips in winter
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

wurzel wrote:From memory price list from 1988/9
How do you do that? :( And O'Meara was responsible for something alcohol-related? Well, horses for courses, bless 'im!
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

onewestguncopse wrote:The limit works up to a point. You have to sign for a drink and only a member of staff can serve you. Once you have signed twice then you cannot have any more. Alcohol is not sold every week. That being said, cheap prices in local shops mean that alcohol does find its way on site. It is without doubt the biggest risk to the students at CH. Things are tighter now than for years but we still have to be vigilant.
Well, nothing much changes. In the '70s quite a few of us found it cheaper to obtain booze in Horsham and consume it under a bush somewhere.

The main difference was that we were wearing uniform when we visited the off-licences..........

Naughty, I know, but that's how it was.
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
sport!
Deputy Grecian

Post by sport! »

fbannabel wrote:As a Mummy of a now third former - my fond memories of the Grecians Club are being bused in from Bramley, Guildford (St Catherines Girls School) for sixth form dances... we were the last ones in 1985 before CH became co-ed at Horsham.

Fond memories of sitting across the room from all the boys, being asked to dance and back to the house for a quick coffee...

Tuesdays at school following dances were spent waiting for the post to see if you had a Redhill post marked letter.

How very sweet...
We rather ungallantly called them 'cattle markets'.

St Catherines holds good memories - in 1979 (I think) about 3 or 4 of us were invited as guests by girls at St Catherines to go to their Summer Dinner Dance. That made our dances seem like very sober affairs; the wine just kept flowing.

I guess you were just starting at St. Catherines then?

[former Grecians Club Treasurer]
BaB, ColB 1973-80
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Post by wurzel »

Ajarn Philip wrote:
wurzel wrote:From memory price list from 1988/9
How do you do that? :( And O'Meara was responsible for something alcohol-related? Well, horses for courses, bless 'im!
Always had a memory like that - can still remember things like the first few lines of my 1st latin book "caecilius est in horto"

Mainly though because the prices change little in the year I was in the club and I had great practice at using them. We also used to get alcohol from town (used to cycle down the railway line to southwater get changed on the old platform under the bridge and then visit the maceline) or homebrew (there was usually a choice of bitters, lager and even sometimes wine for sale most saturdays form various sources
cstegerlewis
Deputy Grecian

Post by cstegerlewis »

Who can't quote the entire test of the first orange Cambridge Latin course books (Clive Kemp RIP)
Craig Steger-Lewis
Ba.B 25, Mid B 25, Mid A42
1982-1989
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

I, for one, can't !
My only mnemories of "Booze" at CH, were ----- Cider, served by L.M.Carey, as Housemaster, in his room, for the Monitors at end of Term and the odd bottle of the same brew, in the House-Captains Study, at the end of the Day-Room, which I am sure LMC knew about, but chose to ignore --- the House-Captain, in those days being an in-House Button Grecian.

We also attempted Elderberry Wine, during the Autumn Term, accompanied by the sound of exploding bottles, om the stone stairs at the North end of the Senior Dormitory in Ba B !! :oops:

Oh happy days ! :lol:

BaB 35 1940 - 1946
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

wurzel wrote: Always had a memory like that - can still remember things like the first few lines of my 1st latin book "caecilius est in horto"
Oh my God - I had fogotten about Caecillius :shock: :lol:
wurzel wrote: We also used to get alcohol from town (used to cycle down the railway line to southwater get changed on the old platform under the bridge and then visit the maceline) or homebrew
There was also a shop at the end of the footpath (over the railway bridge) that led from Two Mile Ash Road to Longfield Road on the way to town. Remember being sold Guinness & Martini from there :wine:
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

OMG this is making me feel old and parochial. In Hertford, in the 1960's, I remember feeling incredibly grown up to be given a glass of white wine on Speech Day (or somesuch) when I was permitted to attend the formal lunch. I know/knew of no illicit drinking or even buying of alcohol and bringing it back onto the premises though I do have a recollection of others indulging in some illicit cigarette smoking down in the Shrubbery.
My sins extended to buying cream cakes ('milly fillies' - milles feuilles) in the bakers and creeping into the Castle grounds to devour them.
Oh dear. How b - o - r - i - n - g!
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
cstegerlewis
Deputy Grecian

Post by cstegerlewis »

How about 2 quarter bottles of vodka from offy on victoria station after half term, hidden in studies (someone elses better so if found it wouldn't be you who got punished) the one saturday buy 1 or 1.5 litre bottle of coke from the tuck shop, drink a glass or so, top up the bottle with the vodka, and then out onto bigside or round the back of the club with your v & c......

Sorted you out for 2-3 weeks until leave day

Happy days........
Craig Steger-Lewis
Ba.B 25, Mid B 25, Mid A42
1982-1989
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Post by wurzel »

On the vodka side - panda pops sold in tuck shop 185ml exactly right for sharing out a 75cl bottle of vodka (70cl if smirnoff) into 1/4's. Usually used cream soda or lemonade but remember veggie wright using cherryade bottle and red food colouring for camoflage.

Vonnie i think you are thinking of the Needles estate shop, you could stop for a fag or get changed etc in the thick hedge half way down the hill to the railway bridge and the shop was i a little arcade under some flats with a hairdressers next door
fra828
Grecian

Post by fra828 »

I remember climbing out on the little balcony (it had a high wall so we could crouch down ) outside 8's bathroom at Hertford with a friend and smoking - convinced we would be expelled if we were caught! But we got away with it several times.... :lol:
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

I'm pretty sure a contemporary of mine, Terry Willans, got expelled for having a bottle of wine at her birthday party. This would have been c.1959. (Terry, if you're out there & it wasn't you - sorry! :oops: but I can't think of anyone else in 8s at that time who had the confidence / sheer brass neck to do it! :lol: ). Her mother was sent for to remove her with immediate effect!
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

wurzel wrote: Vonnie i think you are thinking of the Needles estate shop, you could stop for a fag or get changed etc in the thick hedge half way down the hill to the railway bridge and the shop was i a little arcade under some flats with a hairdressers next door
That sounds familiar :lol: And yes I also remember the hill you mention as well - it was a short cut (was it really shorter?) that avoided walking past the Whores Bed. That's where I had my first ever G & T!
Last edited by Vonny on Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Vonny wrote:
wurzel wrote: Vonnie i think you are thinking of the Needles estate shop, you could stop for a fag or get changed etc in the thick hedge half way down the hill to the railway bridge and the shop was i a little arcade under some flats with a hairdressers next door
That sounds familiar :lol: And yes I also remember the hill you mention as well - it was a short cut (was it really shorter?) that avoided walking past the Whores Bed. That's where I had mt first ever G & T!
Definitely shorter, and definitely muddier in winter.

Getting changed, though - did people really have to do that?
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?