Bokkers Today

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Chrissie Boy
GE (Great Erasmus)

Bokkers Today

Post by Chrissie Boy »

I live on a very far-flung island on the other side of the globe, so I'm rather out of touch, see.

Are today's dining-hall bokkers all East European or what?

Or have bokkers been phased out in favour of some load of old automated cobblers?

Is Richard Ruck a bokker, by the way?

And do bokkers (if still extant) still live in at CH and have jobs for life?
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: Bokkers Today

Post by J.R. »

I look forward to RR's response with baited breath !!

:roll:
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Tell me, my children, ----- What, in the name of Heaven, --- is a "Bokker" ?

Enlightenment, please, for the Elderly :oops:
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

In my day, Neill, it was any (male) that was an estate worker or someone who did school maintenance.

Since then, as I understand it, it has been extended to include catering/house staff.
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

J.R. wrote:In my day, Neill, it was any (male) that was an estate worker or someone who did school maintenance.

Since then, as I understand it, it has been extended to include catering/house staff.
How things have changed.
We had Spanish girls cleaning the Houses in my time, and they could never be thought of as "Bokkers".
I know some who used to "entertain" these girls, and they would have been horrified to have it thought that they went out with "Bokkers".
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

So that explains it --- thank you !

The expression wasn''t current in my time, it would be interesting to know when it emerged --- Posts, perhaps on "Housey Slang " ?
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Chrissie Boy wrote:Is Richard Ruck a bokker, by the way?
No.
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
CHAZ
Grecian

Post by CHAZ »

This topic is elsewhere on the Forum and may well already be part of the Housey Slang topic...
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984
Wuppertal
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Wuppertal »

J.R. wrote:In my day, Neill, it was any (male) that was an estate worker or someone who did school maintenance.

When I was there I understood it referred exclusively to the catering staff, not any of the groundsmen or other workers. When I started it seemed loads of people used the word quite light-heartedly and in a way that was not necessarily intended to be offensive, but by the time I got to my Grecians it was quite frowned upon and considered derogatory.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Wuppertal wrote:

When I was there I understood it referred exclusively to the catering staff, not any of the groundsmen or other workers. When I started it seemed loads of people used the word quite light-heartedly and in a way that was not necessarily intended to be offensive, but by the time I got to my Grecians it was quite frowned upon and considered derogatory.

That's PC for yer !
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

My recollection is that in the early 1950s the term "bokker" referred not only to school groundsmen and maintenance staff, but also to any agricutural worker; ie, farmhands. I can remember travelling on the CH-Guildford line and four of us shouting at every farmworker we saw in the fields, "Ooh, ar, bokker." This struck us as incredibly funny at the time, but today I am severely embarassed by the memory; why we did it, I have no idea - definitely not something to be proud of.
Incidentally the maids - whether Spanish or Irish - would never, ever have been classified as "bokkers."
:shock:
Kim2s70-77
Grecian

Post by Kim2s70-77 »

At the Hertford school - they were always 'Little Men".
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Kim2s70-77 wrote:At the Hertford school - they were always 'Little Men".
Very true - but they were all little and totally interchangeable, I have no idea how many there were. They wore brown coats (like an old fashioned doctor's white coat but brown) We thought they were all war veterans, I wonder if they were.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

Yes, I still recall the trundling of the trollies of the little men in their brown coats, and the way they brought in a ladder to put right the Dayroom clocks.
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

As far as I was concerned (see my dates) a bocker was a male rustic of a certain age, not necessarily employed by the school. It certainly didn't mean anyone in the kitchen, or the man who came to change the light-bulb. The school employed a few to sweep leaves, clean lavatories and that sort of thing. Martin Barker, housemaster of Maine A, urbane classicist, hall warden, was, on account of his name, nicknamed "Bocker", but you couldn't imagine anyone less bockerish.

I am amazed that the were no bockers in Neill's day. Does this mean a bit of Housey slang was invented c. 1950?
Th.B. 27 1955-63