Failing ofsted!

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Re: Failing ofsted!

Post by Mrs C. »

The members` changing room now has a coded entry pad on it so only members can enter - theoretically!

Pupils were initially told to wear swimwear under clothes , and put clothes back on OVER wet swimwear.
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Simple question; did the school insist on receiving clearance certificates for each of the OFSTED inspectors before they were allowed in the gates? :twisted: :twisted:
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Mrs C. wrote:Pupils were initially told to wear swimwear under clothes , and put clothes back on OVER wet swimwear.
I am just astonished at the absurdity of this, although perhaps I shouldn't be......
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:The Labour Party have always hated and denigrated Public and Grammer Schools
Whoops! Your public school education is shining through there, Neill! :wink:

midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

The Sunday Times has a good piece about the inadequacy of Ofsted.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

midget wrote:The Sunday Times has a good piece about the inadequacy of Ofsted.

http://chforum.info/php/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=3415
Another quote from the same article (somebody might want to copy it to the OFSTED thread)

The Ofsted report last week was deeply depressing for its cautiously expressed findings — failing schools, illiterate children and poor teaching. What’s worse is that Ofsted and its predecessors have been inspecting and reporting fairly cheerfully for decades, while standards have fallen lower and lower.

As if we didn't already distrust these organisations
'Nuff said?
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Richard Ruck wrote:
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:The Labour Party have always hated and denigrated Public and Grammer Schools
Whoops! Your public school education is shining through there, Neill! :wink:
You Bet !
But I would like to point out, that I got to CH through a Scholarship (Only Just) from an LCC School In Stockwell (LAMBURF)

This is the way it still should be --- but don't get me started !!! :oops:
YadaYada
Deputy Grecian

Post by YadaYada »

The problem with the poor OFSTED report lies with the perception of it from OUTSIDE of CH and those who work in education. Most members of the public will accept and believe the overall rating and won't read the report and as soon as people start to explain the reasons for the grading it falls on deaf ears because of the 'no smoke without fire' theory.

I'm with whoever it was who said that the governing body and the head should have made sure that all of the requirements were in place. I work in a school and the OFSTED inspection is taken incredibly seriously; not necessariliy because we believe in the quality of the inspection process but because we know the impact the judgement makes in the local community.

CH is lucky that many of its prospective 'local community' aren't local and so won't even know there has been an inspection and the lack of any mention on the school website won't lead them to it.

Hopefully all of the outstanding issues will be dealt with quickly and the school can get re-graded at the appropriate level and then get on with its business of educating our children.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

I always find it bizarre that having a public bridleway around most of the Mile is deemed fine...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Great Plum wrote:I always find it bizarre that having a public bridleway around most of the Mile is deemed fine...
It's probably a quite troublesome process to have this removed. However, a number of nearby public footpaths have certainly vanished over the years, including ones through Shelley's Wood (now replaced by a bunch of "Get orf moi laaaand" type notices), The Lag and The Bird Sanctuary. There also used to be a right of way between the stile on the far side of Big Side and the Mile. This has been moved to the track running alongside The Bird Sanc. Time for some barbed wire and searchlights, perhaps.

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

I believe it is the case that a Footpath cannot be "Extinguished" without a Court Order -- but can be diverted -- again with the Court's consent.
With regard to "Roads and Tracks" there is a principle in Law -----"Once a Highway -- always a Highway !" and I have been involved in a succesful appeal against a farmer blocking a track, which was proved, with old maps, to have been use by "Wheeled Traffic " -- Carts !
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:I believe it is the case that a Footpath cannot be "Extinguished" without a Court Order -- but can be diverted -- again with the Court's consent.
With regard to "Roads and Tracks" there is a principle in Law -----"Once a Highway -- always a Highway !" and I have been involved in a succesful appeal against a farmer blocking a track, which was proved, with old maps, to have been use by "Wheeled Traffic " -- Carts !
Based on that second paragraph the track in Shelley's Wood from the gate on the road up towards the top of Sharpenhurst cannot be closed off because it was certainly used by wheeled vehicles - I saw the tracks.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
fra828
Grecian

Post by fra828 »

My daughter, from 3 to 19 yrs old, attended a local special school -she has Downs syndrome; and is now 21 and at college with many of her schoolfriends. When she was 7 the school failed its Ofsted, the reason cited was that they were not teaching the full curriculum! As a result, even those classed with severe learning difficulites, DD included, had to 'do' French and History at 11.
The teachers became very skilled at teaching them the practical side of these subjects, and the pupils came to enjoy these lessons. Several years after the original inspection, the school was rated by Ofsted as 'one of the most 'improved schools' !
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

fra828 wrote:My daughter, from 3 to 19 yrs old, attended a local special school -she has Downs syndrome; and is now 21 and at college with many of her schoolfriends. When she was 7 the school failed its Ofsted, the reason cited was that they were not teaching the full curriculum! As a result, even those classed with severe learning difficulites, DD included, had to 'do' French and History at 11.
The teachers became very skilled at teaching them the practical side of these subjects, and the pupils came to enjoy these lessons. Several years after the original inspection, the school was rated by Ofsted as 'one of the most 'improved schools' !

That's nice to hear, fra828 !

I know we're straying slightly off topic here, but back in the summer Jan and I were partaking of lunch sitting outside the Horsham Wetherspoons. On the table next to us was a family, including a charming girl with Downs. We could hear the family conversation and I was intrigued because there was something about the girl that seemed familiar.

Then it hit me...............

She was one of the stars in an episode of 'A Touch Of Frost'.

Watchers of the wonderful David Jason series will be sure to recognise the episode I'm referring to.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

When I was young man i/c a Vehicle Park North of Loughborough, I became friendly with the Editor of the Loughborough Echo, and we quaffed many pints in the "Black Boy"
He had two sons, the elder was brilliant at everything -- Academic, Sports, Good looking, etc
The other son had Downs Syndrome, and was the most delightful person you could meet,cheerful, kind, always helping his Mother and, although he was not in our company at the Pub, was an asset to any gathering.

At the age of 21, this taught me a lot, and has greatly influenced my involvement in Mental Health and Learning Disability, in my later years, as did the arrival at a Christian Fellowship Barbeque at my house, by a guest, who was an hour early -- this chap swept the floor in the Machine Shop, and was considered "Dim"--------- What to do with him ?
He noticed I had an Organ, in the lounge and asked if he could play it --- I thought "Great ! this gets him out of the way !"
He sat at the organ and played "Jesu joy of Man's Desiring" --- PERFECTLY !!!
"Who taught you to play ?" I asked. "I've got a Record and I copied it" he said ---- I was dumbfounded ! What a waste of Talent ! If only somebody had realised this man's innate ability, when he was young !!!

MORAL --- Don't judge a book by it's cover !