Day Pupils.

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Re: Day Pupils.

Post by wurzel »

the difference is it allows then to increase numbers - as long as the incoming students pay more than they cost then it is improving the finances - what it may do to the character is another question. No matter what is said i can't see them ever going back to full boarding once day pupils start. They may get rid of new foundationer full-fee payers but the bean-counters will never let them get rid of day pupils.

Prior to 1985 they had a much greater total pupil capacity - the selling off of Hertford/Great Tower Street gave money but once it ran low there was a lesser capacity for income which is now being addressed by increasing pupil numbers through day pupils.

When i joined in 1981 Horsham was about 800 capacity (16 x 50) what was Hertford ? And with the changes to houses and the Grecians houses what is Horsham boarding capacity now ?
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Hertford was nominally 288 (36 x 8) but there were usually up to 3 more per house, so probably around 300.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Post by wurzel »

So the old capacity was approx 1100 prob closer to 1150 and Horsham is what 900 (800 in houses and 100 in grecians annexes) so that is 250 (or 20%) less pupils if they can make some of those numbers back up with day pupils / fee payers (not necessarily the same people but 2 sets with an intersection) then that will improve finances as the extra pupils should be net income rather than outgoings.

But they should not kid themselves that it will not change the nature of the school - at the very least contraband will find it's way in easier no matter what the punishments. No more having to walk 3 miles with britches full of Vodka Bottle when Fred from Horsham can sneak it in in a Box file along with 1/2 Oz of Old H and some rizla.

I know from when my brother was at CH that saturday afternoons spent in wetherspoons were not unusual - if people have classmates with a social link to Horsham anyway this will increase but be harder to police as the locations will spread to where day pupils live not just where CH people have found.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

wurzel wrote:So the old capacity was approx 1100 prob closer to 1150 and Horsham is what 900 (800 in houses and 100 in grecians annexes) so that is 250 (or 20%) less pupils if they can make some of those numbers back up with day pupils / fee payers (not necessarily the same people but 2 sets with an intersection) then that will improve finances as the extra pupils should be net income rather than outgoings.

But they should not kid themselves that it will not change the nature of the school - at the very least contraband will find it's way in easier no matter what the punishments. No more having to walk 3 miles with britches full of Vodka Bottle when Fred from Horsham can sneak it in in a Box file along with 1/2 Oz of Old H and some rizla.

I know from when my brother was at CH that saturday afternoons spent in wetherspoons were not unusual - if people have classmates with a social link to Horsham anyway this will increase but be harder to police as the locations will spread to where day pupils live not just where CH people have found.

It seeems things haven't changed.

I was recently reliably informed that The Lynd Cross is affectionately known as the Saturday afternoon 'CH Grecians Club'.

Wouldn't have happened in my day !!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

Non-foundationers (children of staff) were always day pupils unless they were monitors. In the 50s and early 60s, about five at any one time, but then young married staff got more numerous and so, I suppose, did their children. They were of course assigned to houses, and only "different" from after prep to after breakfast.

We envied and pitied dayboys at the same time. They had civilized breakfasts and their own bedrooms and bathrooms (given the nature of the lav-ends in those days, no mean privilege), but on the other hand, they were rather out of things (compounded by the "distance" caused by their being masters' children).

The only actual unpleasantness I remember was when a dayboy (the doctor's son) was excluded from a collective punishment imposed because someone had damaged a sanitary facility in the lav-end and didn't own up. His protest that "he hadn't done it" didn't wash, of course, because none of the rest of us (except one) had done it either.

My daughter incidentally was (in the sixth-form) one of about 30 boarders at a large day-school. But in her case she had a nice single room with an en suite bathroom, so didn't need to envy the home comforts of the day pupils.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

J.R. wrote:[

I was recently reliably informed that The Lynd Cross is affectionately known as the Saturday afternoon 'CH Grecians Club'.

Wouldn't have happened in my day !!
We knew it as the 'Lynd Creche' as it only served under 18s...

I think this is probably a sensible idea by the school - I don't know what figure it will generate but the school's accounts don't add up for the moment. My guess why they don't add up is the volatile nature of the stock markets and the low interest rates... This is an easy (and probably temporary (see the 1980s) way of generating income...)

What else can the school do to raise money:

1. Bring back Christ's Hospital Enteprises and rent the school out in the holidays for summer schools / weddings etc... I think this is why there is a new director of development.
2. Sell off land - I really hope they don't do this, because once its gone, you can't get it back. Far better would be to rent out any empty houses in say King Edward's Close (you could get aobut £1250 a month for a four bed house there and this could be a good money spinner...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

Great Plum wrote: 1. Bring back Christ's Hospital Enteprises and rent the school out in the holidays for summer schools / weddings etc... I think this is why there is a new director of development.
I've been wondering why CH doesn't do this because it seems like such an obvious money-spinner but I just assumed there was a reason why it couldn't happen.
lonelymom :rolleyes:
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

lonelymom wrote:
Great Plum wrote: 1. Bring back Christ's Hospital Enteprises and rent the school out in the holidays for summer schools / weddings etc... I think this is why there is a new director of development.
I've been wondering why CH doesn't do this because it seems like such an obvious money-spinner but I just assumed there was a reason why it couldn't happen.
My understanding is that they have done it, mainly language schools, and are going to try and make it more profitable.

The idea is to get as much use as possible out of all the assets.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

lonelymom wrote:
This question has been raised before and my impression from the replies was that afterwards the houses were left in such a mess that it was uneconomically costly to clear up afterwards
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

I heard yesterday about a former Senior Grecian who had applied to be married in the Chapel, as he felt it had been his spiritual home for seven significant years. He was turned down - on the basis that they do not do marriages in the Chapel any more. He could have a civil wedding in the Court Room. He appealed, got nowhere- asked Dr. Southern for help. He said he would support the wedding but could not intervene. Very sad. The wedding party would have been well prepared to pay for the privilege.
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

A matter of licensing rather than cost I should think.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Well, if they can license the Court Room, what's so different about licensing the Chapel? Especially if it has to be on a 'one off' basis and the bridal party is prepard to pay?
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
lonelymom
Button Grecian

Post by lonelymom »

And what an amazing setting for a wedding! I love the Chapel.
lonelymom :rolleyes:
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

I seem to recall that when the heir to the throne married his lady-love he wanted the civil ceremony in Windsor Castle, but was told that if they got a licence it would have to apply to anybody, no suggestion of a "one off".
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

I think there was a wedding in the chapel only last year... I'm surprised if it changed so quickly... (and as its a Christian place of worship it shouldn't be hard to get permission...)
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99