Day Pupils.

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

anniexf
Button Grecian

Re: Day Pupils.

Post by anniexf »

Mrs C. wrote:There have been day pupils at CH for years - children of staff.

If its a financial necessity to admit outside day pupils, isn`t it better to do so than have to close the school ?
1)Yes but these are occasional and concessionary places, as distinct from those now to be offered generally, as a result of a change in policy.
2)Would the school definitely have been closed?
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

wickedwitch wrote:well thats my waiting list place gone then.
Don't give up hope just yet, wickedwitch - people will be dropping out for various reasons from now on, so places will still become available. Didn't Barwen say he was phoned in July to see whether he wanted a place, despite previously having turned one down? All's not lost - if you can face hardship for five to seven years!
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Post by wurzel »

only 2 weeks ago i was at the open day where it was categorically stated that all children must board - surely if this was about to be announced it should have been before that date.

Therefore I would hazard a guess this will be for 6th form (ie Deps) entrance only to replace pupils lost after GCSE, it also means that they can set entrance criteria based upon GCSE results which will at least keep some of the academic edge.

I don't agree with it at all - but if it is a case of filling gaps left by people leaving at 16 I can live with it.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

After attempting to get my GS in, all I can say I'm apoletic even though GS has now settled and wishes to stay at his State secondary-modern.

CH + ETHOS = GONE !

Still - Maybe it'll put a stop to their 'begging-letters' and tales of insolvency !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

JR --- you and I are noted for joking -----

But,----- " End to begging letters and pleas of insolvency ?" ---- I wish you WERE joking !! :oops:
wickedwitch
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by wickedwitch »

anniexf wrote:
wickedwitch wrote:well thats my waiting list place gone then.
Don't give up hope just yet, wickedwitch - people will be dropping out for various reasons from now on, so places will still become available. Didn't Barwen say he was phoned in July to see whether he wanted a place, despite previously having turned one down? All's not lost - if you can face hardship for five to seven years!
we already live on baked beans but i guess we could survive on ketchup... :twisted:
wide awake on the edge of the world
bosty94
2nd Former

Post by bosty94 »

I see there are concerns that if CH are offering places to day pupils, that this will eradicate any chance for those on the pres ent waiting list. Can anyone clarify, are we talking about children being offered day places for this September? If so, then isn't that unlikely since this option hasn't been marketed...how would anyone have known to apply for one of these places. Also, throughout the assessment process we have been told there are 56 places for girls and 56 for boys. And on further investigation we have been told there are 12 children on the waiting list. They have already notified the 112 children who were successful...( selected from those at the residential I believe, from what the head was saying at that time) and so I don't see how they could find prospective day pupils to fill any places not taken at this late stage.

Or...are we talking about September of next year? And if so, is there a view out there that this could affect those on the waiting list this Year? And how?..is it that they could want to keep some places vacant in readiness?

Any clarification would be much appreciated
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Why shouldn't the number of day pupils be in addition to the current complement? i.e. why would any boarding places be forfeited if day pupils were to be introduced?
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

Thats the point Kerren, as far as I`m aware, they won`t be forfeited!
I would imagine that as classes are tiny compared to the state sector, a couple of exta bums on seats in any one class could make a big difference financially

Mabe the idea is to take day pupils in the 6th form - we already have lot of new Deps coming in from nearby so it would make a lot of sense to have them as day pupils at little extra outgoing cost to the school
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

bosty94 wrote:I see there are concerns that if CH are offering places to day pupils, that this will eradicate any chance for those on the pres ent waiting list. Can anyone clarify, are we talking about children being offered day places for this September? If so, then isn't that unlikely since this option hasn't been marketed...how would anyone have known to apply for one of these places. Also, throughout the assessment process we have been told there are 56 places for girls and 56 for boys. And on further investigation we have been told there are 12 children on the waiting list. They have already notified the 112 children who were successful...( selected from those at the residential I believe, from what the head was saying at that time) and so I don't see how they could find prospective day pupils to fill any places not taken at this late stage.

Or...are we talking about September of next year? And if so, is there a view out there that this could affect those on the waiting list this Year? And how?..is it that they could want to keep some places vacant in readiness?

Any clarification would be much appreciated

Perhaps because I dragged this into the open, an official spokesman. sorry spokesperson might like to go public and completely clarify the situation. (No jokes about butter, PLEEEZ, Neill !)
wickedwitch
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by wickedwitch »

we're in!
wide awake on the edge of the world
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

wickedwitch wrote:we're in!

CONGRATULATIONS Wickedwitch".

I hope the school forfills all your wishes !
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Day Pupils can, of course, be accommodated in Classes, however -----
What about mealtimes ? since they will not, by definition, be in "Houses" will they dine seperately ?
"Marching" to meals might be a hoot ! :lol:
What about Sports and Games ? will they be included in "House Teams" and if not, will they change in the open air ? :oops:

I believe that the idea of 2nd class Pupils must be avoided, but without the "House" system this may be difficult -----------
"Not one of "The Gang" ?---------- remember what WE were like ??? :cry:

Since this decision appears to be made already, I await, with interest, the results.
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

wickedwitch wrote:we're in!
Absolutely delighted for you, wickedwitch! I hope your sewing finger is ready for all those name-tapes .. :lol: :lol: :lol:
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:Day Pupils can, of course, be accommodated in Classes, however -----
What about mealtimes ? since they will not, by definition, be in "Houses" will they dine seperately ?
"Marching" to meals might be a hoot ! :lol:
What about Sports and Games ? will they be included in "House Teams" and if not, will they change in the open air ? :oops:

I believe that the idea of 2nd class Pupils must be avoided, but without the "House" system this may be difficult -----------
"Not one of "The Gang" ?---------- remember what WE were like ??? :cry:

Since this decision appears to be made already, I await, with interest, the results.

Exactly, Neill !

Questions, questions, and then more questions.

Answers, on the other hand.................. :oops: