Day Pupils.

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Re: Day Pupils.

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

The Clerk told us, at the 60+, that the current figure for a Donation Governor is £16,000 ---- but this is under review, and will be going up -- so get in quick !
He said there are about 300, and many others are , as I, a "1552" with a legacy to the School.
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

Fjgrogan wrote:I have only become aware of the parlous state of the school's financial situation through reading this forum. There may well be many OBs who do not contribute to this forum and therefore are similarly ignorant, but might be in a position to make useful contributions.
There was a Treasurer's Conference in January attended by a lot of Old Blues. At that conference, the position was spelled out.
There has been a delay in getting out the Old Blue, one of the reasons being that I was waiting for an authorised note on the Conference to go in the magazine.
With a fair wind, it will go off to print on Monday, so all those who do not read the internet will become aware asap.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Fjgrogan wrote:There have been various mentions of begging letters. In fact, it is many many years since I received such a letter, not that I would have been in a position to do anything about it anyway. I have only become aware of the parlous state of the school's financial situation through reading this forum. There may well be many OBs who do not contribute to this forum and therefore are similarly ignorant, but might be in a position to make useful contributions. Anyway - it set me thinking. If I had an unexpected windfall - a lottery win, for example - what would I do with it? Apart from my family who or what have made the largest contribution to making me the person that I am (for good or ill!)? CH surely has to be at the top of that list, and particularly given the words of the charge should be one of the first to benefit from my good fortune. What does anyone else think? What, for example, is the current rate for becoming a donation governor, via the BSB or in any other way?
Link to the BSB website Frances:

http://www.bluessupportingblues.com/who_we_are.html

They ask for a minimum annual subscription of £15 which can be gift aided if appropiate to individual circumstances.

Larger donations, gift aided or not, will not be turned down you will not be surprised to hear but £15 a year buys you Membership and thus participation in helping the 17 BSB presentees currently at CH.

Some Houses, Maine A being one that I know of, run a Donation Governor scheme whereby Old Blues of that House can chip in what they can which enables those unable to afford £16K gross individually to participate.

Neill, (or anybody) please excuse my ignorance but what is "a 1552?"
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
chobsmonster
2nd Former

Post by chobsmonster »

Hi, cant be bothered to read through all the posts but if this isnt widely known, heres the extent of the information that even the smt know at the moment;
approx 1 day pupil per year per house
approx 1 full fee paying pupil per year per block
will start next year, forseen increases over the next few years, should have then been reduced over 10 years approx
potential offering of IB may be introduced and trialled over the next few years
class sizes will increase by 1 or 2 per senior class (A level)
2 or 3 extra per class junior level (gcse)
pupils will have to live locally, as their morning will start at 8 and day will end at 9:30 after prep
It is a widely sensible decision, as their are few alternative routes, but these new pupils will 1) demand higher standards than what the school provides for those on subsidised places [there is often a thankfulness/appreciative attitude of parents for those who have children at school who sometimes suffer, but dont want to speak up because they are grateful for the place} and 20 will feel considerably left out of school life, they will surely be classed as outsiders.
thats all folks hope this helps
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

1552 s are those Old Blues who have made a committment to leave a legacy in their Will -----

The amount is unspecified, it depends on how much you are worth, when you "Snuff it"
I believe that one should increase the amount, as the years go on and (Hopefully) One has more in the Mattress ! :oops:
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

chobsmonster says:
...pupils will have to live locally, as their morning will start at 8 and day will end at 9:30 after prep...
Wow, that's one hell of a working day! Assuming such children will live approx 30 minutes travelling time from the school (possibly more) that means leaving home at 0730 (7.30am) latest and returning at 2200 (10pm) earliest. And that assumes that the parents deliver and collect the child door-to-door. If there is a bus doing a "run" it could be longer at either end. I really wonder how many parents will think that worthwhile.

As a side issue, I can distinctly remember that there was one day-boy called Bates in the late 1940s/early 1950s. He lived in Horsham, but why he was permitted to be a day-boy I do not know. The rest of us merely regarded the fact that he was not a boarder as a curiosity - it did not give rise to any negative feelings.

:shock:
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

I thought I had posted a report, on what the Clerk had said about Day Pupils -----

I can't find it either (Senility !) but I will keep trying --- and If I fail -- I'll try to repeat it ! :oops:

If anyone knows where it is hiding ---- Pray tell !
Eruresto
Grecian

Post by Eruresto »

Thanks Chobs - as someone with an OB's vested interest in CH (rather than a pupil's) I would have no problem with this, so long as it is the temporary measure you seem to be describing.
Joshua Bell: PeA 2002-2008, GrW 2008-9
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

I guess that the Powers That Be wish to introduce such a change slowly, but I cannot see how such a small increase in income is going to make any significant difference to the school's financial outlook.
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

icomefromalanddownunder wrote:I guess that the Powers That Be wish to introduce such a change slowly, but I cannot see how such a small increase in income is going to make any significant difference to the school's financial outlook.
You'd have to talk to the Treasurer, Clerk and HM, but my guess is that they are trying to resolve 2 basic problems.
One is the lack of underlying assets, which have gone down in value by about £100 million, with the consequent effect on income. The other is to try and make CH viable on a day to day basis. Before the drop in assets, CH still needed over £1 million a year to cover the shortfall from asset income. Obviously more now.
If they can "overshoot" on the asset recuperation, with the consequent additional income, then the day to day will be covered and they can stop taking these "emergency" measures.
That's what I think they are up to.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

I have just received "Housey" with the Clerks explanation --- so I hope all of you can read it for yourselves.

There is one bit, which raised a cynical eyebrow in me -------- Full Fee Pupils are described as "Nothing new -- -- they were introduced in 1986 "

Forgive me, but in over 400 years -- I would have described 1986 as being "NEW" :lol: :lol:
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:I have just received "Housey" with the Clerks explanation --- so I hope all of you can read it for yourselves.

There is one bit, which raised a cynical eyebrow in me -------- Full Fee Pupils are described as "Nothing new -- -- they were introduced in 1986 "

Forgive me, but in over 400 years -- I would have described 1986 as being "NEW" :lol: :lol:

My thoughts exactly !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:1552 s are those Old Blues who have made a committment to leave a legacy in their Will -----

The amount is unspecified, it depends on how much you are worth, when you "Snuff it"
I believe that one should increase the amount, as the years go on and (Hopefully) One has more in the Mattress ! :oops:
Thanks for the explanation Neill.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
wurzel
Deputy Grecian

Post by wurzel »

J.R. wrote:
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS wrote:I have just received "Housey" with the Clerks explanation --- so I hope all of you can read it for yourselves.

My thoughts exactly !
I left in 89 and don't remember that happening.

A quick comment on those times - when i started at CH aged 11 I found with waking up at 7 and 9:15 lights out i was still tired after a hard day. How on earth can an 11 year old concentrate all day if they are not going to get home until 10pm (bed 10:30 earliest), we would get up at 7:15am they will have to be 30 mins before that i would guess.

I will still put my son forward as a boarding pupil but even if he could sleep at my mothers in Horsham I would not subject him to that timetable aged 11 it would kill him
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I have to wonder if the 'Powers-That-Be' have REALLY thought this one through !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.