Do you receive "Housey!" regularly?

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Do you receive "Housey!" regularly?

Yes, I receive it regularly
75%
Have received it in the past, but not recently
19%
No, I don't receive it
6%

Total votes: 16

Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Richard Ruck wrote:This is terrible!! :lol:
Maybe the house in Barns Green has a green door and the neighbours are Frankie Vaughan and Shakin' Stevens.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Richard Ruck wrote:.......and I STILL haven't received my copy of 'Housey!' - perhaps they're still working through the alphabet.
Neither have I. RUC. and RUT... !

Is it due out ?
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

I think so - I'm sure someone mentioned it on another thread.

I'll have a look around a bit later.......
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Thanks Richard.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

Richard Ruck wrote:.......and I STILL haven't received my copy of 'Housey!' - perhaps they're still working through the alphabet.
Nor I - but then her Majesty's mail takes a week or two to transit the Tamar.
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

Perhaps I was dreaming, then! I'll wake up when Eric barks at the postman, and my copy will be in the postbox! :D

Seriously, though, perhaps I was thinking of 'The Old Blue' which, as we know, isn't quite ready yet.....
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Mid A 15 wrote:
Richard Ruck wrote:....or the Chinese lady who married into the family - Bow Ling Green..?

OK, sorry!
Perhaps they lived in Barns Green.
Barnt Green? I had a friend lived there.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

englishangel wrote:
Mid A 15 wrote:
Richard Ruck wrote:....or the Chinese lady who married into the family - Bow Ling Green..?

OK, sorry!
Perhaps they lived in Barns Green.
Barnt Green? I had a friend lived there.
Barns Green is about 2 miles from CH. Barnt Green is in Worcestershire I believe.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

It is indeed, between J1 and J2 of the M42. This was a friend at Uni. I was in Birmingham.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

DavebytheSea wrote:
Nor I - but then her Majesty's mail takes a week or two to transit the Tamar.
I haven't got my copy either because I only received an invitation to subscribe to it two days ago.
OTOH in the UK I do tend to have other people's mail delivered to me - I've even had one unknown man's bank statement and separately a cheque book delivered to me. Equally mail does not arrive and, even more stupidly, if I put a return address on the back they deliver it back to me the next day. Two short planks isn't in it; they even pay annual compensation!
Today I received a handbook and receipted invoice from the YHA - except that the handbook had been extracted, leaving the receipt in an open envelope (one of thoise cellophane tough ones which are the devil to open).
I reckon I was getting 7 or 8 editions out of 12 of The Garden which were sent to the UK address. Addressed to France seems to be no problem but I'm not there 6 months a year.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

Richard Ruck wrote:Perhaps I was dreaming, then! I'll wake up when Eric barks at the postman, and my copy will be in the postbox! :D

Seriously, though, perhaps I was thinking of 'The Old Blue' which, as we know, isn't quite ready yet.....
The Old Blue is coming along nicely, thank you, and if all goes to plan, which I doubt, should go off to the printers next week.
We will then be in the hands of the printers, binders, envelope stuffers and delivery agents, over which we have little control although we do our best to chivvy them along.
Given that we have a write up on the Carol Concert, and intervening assorted celebrations, we are still on track for the magazine to hit the doormat before the end of January.
A word on the mail.
I have sent a second class letter via a mail box in a Valencian suburb at 11.00 am on a Thursday to South East London, and when I phoned on the Saturday, it had arrived, 48 hours, not bad.
However, post from the UK to Spain appears to be hit and miss, mainly miss. I wonder where it goes wrong?
Here in the village we have a wonderful system where the postman will hold the mail if need be, hand deliver,etc. He is open every day from 0900 to 1000, mail is delivered around 1100, after he, and sometime me, have had our coffee. After 3.00 pm he doubles as a carpenter with his father in law.
Not a bad service.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I once received a Christmas card from my aunt who lived in a suburb of Sydney in which she commented on going to the last day of a Test Match.

I received the card at 8.10 am on Thursday, it had been postmarked 6.45pm on Tuesday. With the time difference that is 47 1/2 hours. From Sydney to Ealing.
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

Whereas I am still waiting for a birthday card that my daughter posted in Liverpool on 12th September....
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

jhopgood wrote:A word on the mail.
I have sent a second class letter via a mail box in a Valencian suburb at 11.00 am on a Thursday to South East London, and when I phoned on the Saturday, it had arrived, 48 hours, not bad.
However, post from the UK to Spain appears to be hit and miss, mainly miss. I wonder where it goes wrong?
Here in the village we have a wonderful system where the postman will hold the mail if need be, hand deliver,etc. He is open every day from 0900 to 1000, mail is delivered around 1100, after he, and sometime me, have had our coffee. After 3.00 pm he doubles as a carpenter with his father in law.
Not a bad service.
Have the same problem with France - hit & miss, whilst mail within France is (by UK standards), very good. One letter, posted in Paris in the evening, plopped into our letterbox (at the farm) at noon the next day.

Our postman is also very good - shares the local gossip, will post your mail (even get the stamps and put them on if you pay the cost in advance) and I'm not sure what else. Certainly on one accasion he mentioned that it might be an idea if we, as English, went and saw some new arrivals who were having difficulties. I can't say enough good about him. His alternate, a ladydy, is also very sweet
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!