Expelled

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: Expelled

Post by J.R. »

jhopgood wrote:
fra828 wrote:for page 3 of The Sun!
It was possible to get into the Sun and not be on Page 3.

Sun Page 9, Feb 9/73, Joanne Franklyn (sister of OB´s John, Richard and Josephine Hopgood), shows the steps to the "new" Tango with Mud lead singer Les Gray.

Another dance craze that went nowhere, along with Mud, I presume.

Theres a band name from the past.

In the early 70's, I helped run a large mobile disco, and we did a support gig with them at the Coronation Baths, Epsom. Lovely guys.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
fra828
Grecian

Post by fra828 »

jhopgood wrote:
fra828 wrote:for page 3 of The Sun!

It was possible to get into the Sun and not be on Page 3.

Sun Page 9, Feb 9/73, Joanne Franklyn (sister of OB´s John, Richard and Josephine Hopgood), shows the steps to the "new" Tango with Mud lead singer Les Gray.

Another dance craze that went nowhere, along with Mud, I presume.
Am begining to think I have got something wrong as no-one else from my era has any memory of this! Perhaps it was a glamour photo but not maybe not topless. The gist of the caption was: 'C ' is 16/17 years old and has been expelled from a posh girls' boarding school. This added a couple of years to her age.
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

I just love the "posh"!!!!!
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Was 'C' expelled before or after the photograph appeared in The Sun (or the glamour photo, if that is what it turned out to be?). Surely if before, the publication of the photograph cannot have been the cause of the expulsion..............unless there was a gap between the photograph being taken and its publication, during which knowledge of the situation was drawn to the attention of the school authorities. I wonder what the archives would yield if only we could interrogate them!
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

midget wrote:I just love the "posh"!!!!!
Maggie when I was very new to this forum I posted about CH being considered a posh school by the Tesco staff in Hertford. see viewtopic.php?f=34&t=985
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
fra828
Grecian

Post by fra828 »

[quote="kerrensimmonds"]Was 'C' expelled before or after the photograph appeared in The Sun (or the glamour photo, if that is what it turned out to be?). Surely if before, the publication of the photograph cannot have been the cause of the expulsion..............unless there was a gap between the photograph being taken and its publication, during which knowledge of the situation was drawn to the attention of the school authorities. I wonder what the archives would yield if only we could interrogate them![/quote

Have thought about this myself and I think it was the latter reason. Yes it would be very interesting to find this in the archives, but don't know how you would go about it if you don't have an exact date; maybe trawl through any archives of that year -if they exist on the internet?!
fra828
Grecian

Post by fra828 »

Katharine wrote:
midget wrote:I just love the "posh"!!!!!
Maggie when I was very new to this forum I posted about CH being considered a posh school by the Tesco staff in Hertford. see viewtopic.php?f=34&t=985[/quote

For those who didn't know the origins of CH, I agree with your original post Katherine, they might have thought it 'posh' as it was a boarding school.
Kim2s70-77
Grecian

Post by Kim2s70-77 »

englishangel wrote:No J R the pic is not on the Internet as far as I can see, and Jo, it passed me by too and she was a year below me in the same house for heaven's sake.

Ok - I wasn't going to bite - but, if she was in MY house, when I was there - I now have to know more!! Please pm me!!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

This is all getting terribly 'secret-squirrel' !!

:oops:
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
gma
Grecian

Post by gma »

J.R. wrote:This is all getting terribly 'secret-squirrel' !!

:oops:
Now I'd like to know too please particularly as she was in my house and I was led to believe that I was the worst of the worst when I was expelled and I def stayed dressed both before and after being requested to depart :lol: !!!! PM Please!!
Gerrie M-A (GMA) - 2:34 71-75

"If you cannot have what you want, then learn to want what you have"
Anon or The Guru or someone worthy like that.
Wasn't DR.
Definitely not.
ReallyMissingHer
UF (Upper Fourth)

Post by ReallyMissingHer »

My brother-in-law was expelled quite early on in his CH career, I think the final straw was something to do with vast quanities of toilet paper and blaconies on some sort of special occasion day with lots of important people at CH - this was early to mid-70's at a guess as he was born 1960 I think.

Mind you there was always the unplanned visits from his schizophrenic mother so who know perhaps she did/said something at that was the reason, nothing that woman did woulde be unbelievable - err death threats because you got married was one of them!
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

I seem to recall, that on VE day someone climbed the Water Tower to release a CH Bog Roll, to find if it would reach the ground.
This had been a subject of conjecture, throughout the School, --- including some of the Staff ------

It didn't ----- but nobody would have been expelled on that particular day !!!

The Founder was dressed in a red bathing costume, with an orange in his, outstretched hand------
Oh happy days !! :lol:
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

There were two who were expelled / asked to leave when I was on my squits... One was by the name of Chris Grice (I think) - he was deeply unhappy at the school and lasted only about a term I think... Apparently his mother had told him that he could only leave if he got himself expelled... I remember one maths lesson with McCall when he walked calmly up to the shelves at the back of the room and removed a book one by one throwing them to the ground... Very strange!
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
adlop
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by adlop »

As I think I and others have mentioned elsewhere there was the great drug bust of 1988 when the Thorn A Grecians were decimated along with selected others from other houses for dope smoking, or in the great tradition of Bill Clinton for not inhaling. I remember a lot of unhappy people around who felt harshly treated for very little involvement. It was definitely a bad time and we had to sit through an awful drugs show by David Kossof to warn us about the dangers of drugs.
Barnes B / Mid A
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Apropos the "Drugs Bust"

It has now been,proved, conclusively, that the use of Cannabis over a long period of time, results in serious mental impairment, this is particularly true of the latest "Skunk"
As a Mental Health Act Manager, I saw examples of this, and worse --- my elder Son who has been "Smoking" since the age of 17, is now, at the age of 57 showing such signs.

Should I have been stricter in the past ?

Would that have been possible----- since I had the odd "Joint" ?

Who knows ? but it has certainly struck home in my Family