Sad news

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Re: Sad news

Post by Fjgrogan »

Speaking as a parent, I well remember the profound sense of shock throughout the whole CH community at the time of the death of Richard Slater. I did not personally know the boy, but my daughter did. I was impressed at the time by how well the school managed the situation at all levels (particularly bearing in mind that the headmaster was actually out of the country when it happened). However much we of the Hertford generations may sometimes grouse about the way things were 'in our days', CH is now and has been since its foundation a community which cares deeply for all its members. I am sure that Mimosa spoke from a sense of shock and grief when she appeared to cast doubt on the standard of pastoral care at the school. Do you seriously imagine that any one of us (particularly those of us who have been through the system ourselves) would have sent our children to CH if we had any doubts about the quality of pastoral care - there is so much more to education than just academic achievement. Many schools in a similar situation would close and send the children home. The reaction at CH is to enfold them in the support of the community. Yes, what has happened is a tragedy, and it is instinctive in such a situation to look for someone/something to blame. Surely it would be more constructive to look at how we can best help the family and friends of young Matthew. Also the staff who are having to deal with a school full of shocked children, whilst still in a state of shock themselves. I am sure that they will manage superbly, and in years to come those children who are the current CH generation will find that they too have absorbed that sense of caring which is an important part of the legacy of CH, but cannot be taught in any classroom.
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
Chrissie Boy
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Chrissie Boy »

As I recall it, there are actually two rail-crossing points: one off Big Side, just beyond the Bird Sanctuary, and another accessed from within the Bird Sanctuary itself. Neither was out-of-bounds when I was at CH in the 70s, nor did there appear to be any sensible reason why they should be. Certainly there was no tradition of tomfoolery like playing chicken on the level crossings, which was probably in part due to the peripheral location of them, though on weekend afternoons in the summer there were always a few boys like me who'd straggle up Sharpenhurst or wander over to Itchingfield via Eastlands Copse, trooping over the crossings en route.

I remember Sellotaping ha'pennies to the rails at the Big Side level crossing and then retrieving them after they'd been squashed by a train. In fact I kept one for many years afterwards: it was oval, occupied about twice its original area, was completely smooth and featureless on the underside and was almost as thin as a razorblade. Owning it was considered cool by other 12-year-old boys.

But we always treated the crossings with respect, especially since there was something very eerie about the hissing noise which the rails made as the trains approached (amplified no doubt by the cutting in which the level crossings lay). Also a black Labrador owned by Mr Waller (the then housemaster of Maine B) was electrocuted on a conductor rail at one of the crossings during my time at CH, which really rammed home the potentially-lethal nature of the location.

My sympathy and respects to the family of the inexplicably-deceased runner. This kind of thing simply shouldn't happen.

But at the same time, I sincerely hope that the school doesn't overreact and demand the closure of the level crossings. After all, if someone dies needlessly on a railway, it's not the fault of the railway. Besides, Britain probably has the safest and most sensibly-labelled railway crossings of any country in the world.
Mimosa
2nd Former

Post by Mimosa »

Moderator, please take down my message of yesterday, it was never my intention to upset anyone. I was expressing anxieties solely. I spoke with compassion not criticism. Thank you.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Mimosa wrote:Moderator, please take down my message of yesterday, it was never my intention to upset anyone. I was expressing anxieties solely. I spoke with compassion not criticism. Thank you.
I have deleted your post, as requested !

JR.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

In regard to Chrissie Boy's post, the crossing by the old 1st XV pitch was closed some years ago - the one that is still open is the public footpath that leads down the cutting.
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

I AGREE, ENTIRELY WITH FRANCES' COMMENTS.
We don't know what happened, in the tradgedy --- only the awful result.
All of us do silly things,a at times, I echo Chrissie's habit of putting Halfpennys on the lines, to get them squashed.

I also believe the School is unequalled in its care of the pupils --- and Staff, and has been fo a long long time.

Perhaps we should, now, leave the matter to rest, in mutual sadness.
epammi
2nd Former

Post by epammi »

Great Plum wrote:
epammi wrote:Hi My children have also been on the phone very shocked and upset. What a horrible, horrible situation. Can anyone tell me why he was able to run alongside the train track? I am seriously concerned that my children have access to a the train track still. What if they are feeling low, even about poor Matt - can they now go to the track? I thought it was heavily fenced. My son tells me children still go over the track to the hill opposite to "brownz" - smoke.... How can this still be possible?? Should we be doing something about this? I feel it should be sealed, not just fenced with a fence that the children can break through. Thoughts....
This is truely tragic news and my thoughts and prayers go to his family and friends.

In regard to the crossing - it is a public footpath that has steps down a steep cutting on the side of Sharpenhurst. I believe, after a previous tragedy at the site that there were plans by WSCC and/or Network Rail to install a bridge at that site.v As far as I know, this never went beyond the planning stage.
Does anyone else know what happened to the planning application to put a bridge across this crossing? It sounds as if this is now a priority. I have found that a man from Devon was killed there in front of his two children and wife when he went back to get his dog off the line, in July 2008. Did Richard Slater from CH die at the crossing in 1990 as well?
bLb
2nd Former

Post by bLb »

Something has to be done about this crossing for how can planning take any risks at all near a school. How much does a bridge cost?
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

Quite apart from the physical danger to pupils represented by this crossing, I am puzzled that the school seems to have been forced by Ofsted to spend vast sums of money (which it can ill afford at the moment) to increase security in other respects, but that this public right of way remains an easy means of access and therefore presumably negates other security precautions?
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

There is a report in todays Daily Mail, Page 21.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

J.R. wrote:There is a report in todays Daily Mail, Page 21.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -iPod.html
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
mvgrogan
Deputy Grecian

Post by mvgrogan »

Maria Vatanen nee Grogan 6's (6:12) 81-85 BaB (BaB48) 85-87
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

Incidentally, spare a thought for the driver. Most are highly traumatized by an accident like this, and many never return to work.
Th.B. 27 1955-63
Anonymous80
2nd Former

Post by Anonymous80 »

I have nothing to do with Christ Hospital but I am a close friend of the Leonard family. They are absolutely devastated by what has happened. Please can you consider their feelings before posting speculative comments. The family is well aware of this thread on the forum and comments like the one above only serves to heighten their agony.
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

Anonymous80 wrote:I have nothing to do with Christ Hospital but I am a close friend of the Leonard family. They are absolutely devastated by what has happened. Please can you consider their feelings before posting speculative comments. The family is well aware of this thread on the forum and comments like the one above only serves to heighten their agony.
Quite agree.
Maybe one of the moderators might find it useful to remove speculative comments of this nature.
I realise it smacks of censorship, but this is a public forum and I would argue that comments of this nature should remain private until after the inquest.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)