CH on Google Street View

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Spoonbill
Deputy Grecian

Re: CH on Google Street View

Post by Spoonbill »

Having dug around on the Internet and discovered a small but interesting article about the former CH building at Ware (http://www.wareonline.co.uk/features/bluecoat.asp), I went looking for Bluecoat Yard on Google Street View...but although you can creep along East Street and see the alcove above the entrance to the yard from an oblique angle, you can't actually get close up and see either the bluecoat boy statue in the alcove or the view into the yard itself. It seems the entrance to the yard is in another of Street View's dead zones, surprise surprise.

Bit of a downer really. Still, at least I tried.

Here's a photo of the entrance, filched from Zippix (hence the watermark), which I'll wager has already been posted on here.

kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Don't worry, Spoonbill. Yes, CH did send some of its children out to Ware and there is a place there, of which you have the photo, which accommodated enough children for it to be recognised in the annals of the Foundation.There was a big publicity activity some years ago about the site in Ware (there were also properties in Hoddesden as well as Hertford) and I do know that Jean Morrison (the last 'headmistress' in Hertford, who moved with the girls to Horsham in 1985) was closely involved in the commemoration of the Ware site, which is well catalogued in the Museum at Horsham.
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
Spoonbill
Deputy Grecian

Post by Spoonbill »

Any photos of the Hoddesdon buildings? Or info on where to find 'em on Street View?

I won't get my hopes up.
Foureyes
Grecian

Post by Foureyes »

As a matter of interest, the Bluecoat statue on the outside wall at Ware is neither an original, nor is it a direct copy of the original (as are the statues at Hertford). The one at Ware is "in the style of" and the head (and hairstyle) are of the artist's son, although the uniform (including cap) is pretty accurate. It was made in 1987. The original Ware statue is inside the building.
David :shock: