Old Blue Clearout

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

jhopgood
Button Grecian

Old Blue Clearout

Post by jhopgood »

I have decided to start a clear-out of all the correspondence I have received over the years for inclusion in the magazine.
Most have been published, so I can dispose of them with a clear conscience. However, others have not been included, mainly because of space restrictions, and I thought I would transcribe some of them here.

The following is, I believe, from a forum member, who may own up.

It is from 2004

"When I attended Housey from 1940 to 1946 (Ba B) there was a great tradition of practical jokes, which seemed to spread across the School irrespective of the Houses.
Most of these were innocent in many ways and involved no damage or personal injury, but remained hilarious and many were, rumour had it.
Appreciated by the Staff.
I remember that on VE day, the Founder's statue appeared, wearing a red bathing costume, with an orange in his outstretched hand.\At another time, a boy rose from his seat at lunch and with great deliberation stalked down to where the maids were serving food at the foot of the tables. After a deep bow, he kissed the least attractive of these and passed through the kitchens to make his escape. Tumultuous applause followed, but he was never identified by Authority and the lady kept her counsel!
When visiting on the 450th I was informed by a nameless Grecian that the brass eagle lectern in Chapel had, on one occasion laid a hard boiled egg which passed un-noticed throughout a service.
There are many many other, but since the tradition seems to be flourishing, may we have more memories and current suggestions for the School Archive?
Your irreverently
Capt.........
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
Kit Bartlett
Deputy Grecian

Re: Old Blue Clearout

Post by Kit Bartlett »

In the early nineteen fifties c 1952-53 there was a famous occasion when one Grecian mimed
the Grace at lunchtime in Dining Hall the words being spoken by another boy who crouched down
between his feet.
Chris Bartlett
Kit Bartlett
Deputy Grecian

Post by Kit Bartlett »

There was another occasion when some one on the last morning of term rang the getting up bell
one hour early . I believe that the Hall Warden Sam (JNB) Sergent, Peele "A" Senior Housemaster
cycled up to the Dining Hall at the wrong time. Who I wonder was the culprit?
Chris Bartlett
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

Guily M'lud !!! :oops:
chobsmonster
2nd Former

Post by chobsmonster »

A monitor who will remain nameless turned off the lights in dining hall at around 6:15 nearing the end of Michaelmas term a few years ago, so in complete darkness a mass food-fight broke out for a good while, until a member of SMT managed to turn the lights back on and the male staff could block all the exits.

There are many more from recent years too distasteful for the forum!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

chobsmonster wrote:A monitor who will remain nameless turned off the lights in dining hall at around 6:15 nearing the end of Michaelmas term a few years ago, so in complete darkness a mass food-fight broke out for a good while, until a member of SMT managed to turn the lights back on and the male staff could block all the exits.

There are many more from recent years too distasteful for the forum!

Oh, please DO !!!!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Kit Bartlett
Deputy Grecian

Post by Kit Bartlett »

R.N.H. Bulmer Coleridge A House captain on his last day at school in 1946 organised a silence after the Grace on the last morning instead of the usual cheer. It was soon interrupted by
loud laughter. He also shook hands with every boy in the school., table by table.
Chris Bartlett.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Mentioned previously, in protest at Seaman's proposed modernisation the school remained silent during one verse of a hymn during morning chapel. The choir did sing.

AFAIR, separate to the mimed grace, on one occasion the end grace was said at the start of the meal and the starting grace was said at the end.
Chrissie Boy
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Chrissie Boy »

When I was at the CH, I heard tell that in earlier years there'd been an occasion on which, as a last day of term prank, someone had gone round both dormitories in their house at the dead of night and collected up everyone's breeches, which were then carried down to the Quad and arranged in rows on the lawns. Breakfast parade saw scores of trouserless boys wandering around on the grass in search of their own pantaloons. This was supposedly humorous.

One assumes that the perpetrator(s) also had to go breechless or else be found out.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Chrissie Boy wrote:When I was at the CH, I heard tell that in earlier years there'd been an occasion on which, as a last day of term prank, someone had gone round both dormitories in their house at the dead of night and collected up everyone's breeches, which were then carried down to the Quad and arranged in rows on the lawns. Breakfast parade saw scores of trouserless boys wandering around on the grass in search of their own pantaloons. This was supposedly humorous.

One assumes that the perpetrator(s) also had to go breechless or else be found out.
"Supposedly humorous" ---- I think it it hilarious ! ---- but then I am irresponsible !! :lol: :lol:

On another occasion in the 40s, the same boy who kissedd the Maid, took many bets that he would not appear naked, in Chapel ------
On the appointed day, he ran swiftly from one side of the Altar to the other, and out of a side door, where an accomplice waited with coat, breeches and shoes with stockings.

As the School gasped , HLO's head came up with a snap --- but too late !
The Culprit can, of course, never be named, but I believe that he died, later, in the Sicker.
Sad Sad -- he might have gone on to greater things :(
Kit Bartlett
Deputy Grecian

Post by Kit Bartlett »

Was there not a special note that when played by the organ vibrated in the Head Master's stall at the far end of the Chapel? I remember Corks mentioning this at Choir Practice once.
How often, if ever, it was done when the Head was there I do not know.
Chris Bartlett
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

If there was such a note, it was probably instituted by Dr C.S.Lang, when he was Director of Music.

A terrifying man, who appeared to be 9ft tall, and who could reuce any member of the Ch0ir to a quivering wreck ---- with a single stare !!! :shock:
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

Chrissie Boy wrote:When I was at the CH, I heard tell that in earlier years there'd been an occasion on which, as a last day of term prank, someone had gone round both dormitories in their house at the dead of night and collected up everyone's breeches, which were then carried down to the Quad and arranged in rows on the lawns. Breakfast parade saw scores of trouserless boys wandering around on the grass in search of their own pantaloons. This was supposedly humorous.

Reminds me of the time when we (BaB) raided MaA with the intention of stealing their breeches. It may well have been attempted revenge for a failed raid by them.
Anyway, we were interrupted by a housemaster (Keely I think) making his rounds, fled through the changing rooms, where they were in the process of making a new table tennis table. The new table was on the floor and someone ran straight across it.
There was an enormous post mortem the next day, but no culprits were found.
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
eucsgmrc
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by eucsgmrc »

Kit Bartlett wrote:Was there not a special note that when played by the organ vibrated in the Head Master's stall at the far end of the Chapel? I remember Corks mentioning this at Choir Practice once.
Corks might well have said it. And the choir might well have believed him. At this distance in time, I couldn't possibly comment.

However, I do believe another tale about the organ. Like all pipe organs, it can occasionally "cipher" - sound one note continuously even though nobody is pressing the corresponding key. It's equally annoying and disruptive whether the organ is supposed to be silent (e.g., during a sermon) or is playing some piece where that note doesn't belong. Now Corks' successor was not universally popular, and after he had been in post for a few months, by some mysterious agency, the organ became prone to ciphering when he was in command of it. It recovered when he left.
John Wexler
Col A 1954-62
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

It just so happens, that our Organist at Church, is, by profession, an Organ Builder, and has worked on the CH Organ.

I shall consult him about the possibility of the "Silent Signal" to the HM ---- and report back !!