Tower of London

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Re: Tower of London

Post by NEILL THE NOTORIOUS »

J.R. wrote:
YadaYada wrote:I wonder if I can persuade DS to try this out next holidays.....I've never been to the Tower!

Certainly go - It's a great experience.

If possible at night, check out the Ceremony of the Keys. That's also very moving.
The Brigade of Guards, on "Public Duties" which includes Buck House, St James, the Bank and the Tower, have various jokes, one of which refers to the "Ceremony of the Keys"
"Halt -- who goes there ? " "The Keys !" ----- "Who's Keys ?" ---- ""The King's (Now dated !) Keys " !

"Chuck 'em in the river !! "
SAS
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by SAS »

I think he would go in his uniform if there was going to be no cause for embarrassment!
I can feel a trip coming on. Sod the embarrassment!
SAS
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by SAS »

The site says £10.45 per kid which was less than I expected but still worth the freebie!
simongibbs
3rd Former

Post by simongibbs »

CHDad wrote:I notice that amongst other notable achievements, Sir Michael Gray was Lieutenant of the Tower of London from 1995-98, which probably explains why he presented the painting. Does anyone know whether the C.H Band used to Beat the retreat at the Tower regularly (i.e annually) or whether it was a unique event when Sir Michael Gray was Lieutenant?
The CH Heritage booklet Customs and Traditions says, in relation to the tradition of free entry: "Whatever the origin of the tradition, it was firmly re-established in 1996 by Lieutenant General Sir Michael Gray, an Old Blue from Maine B (1942 to 1950) who was then the latest holder of the office of Lieutentant of the Tower. He invited the School Band to perform Beating Retreat on May 7th that year, on the same day a carved wooden replica of the school badge was placed in the Royal Chapel as a permanent reminder of the link".
CHDad
Deputy Grecian

Post by CHDad »

"Halt -- who goes there ? " "The Keys !" ----- "Who's Keys ?" ---- ""The King's (Now dated !) Keys " !
Having just been to the ceremony of the keys I was interested to find that they don't shout "who goes there", they shout "who comes there" !
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

CHDad wrote:
Having just been to the ceremony of the keys I was interested to find that they don't shout "who goes there", they shout "who comes there" !
Quite right !
I can only plead that it was a VERY long time ago ! :oops:
AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

Forgive me if this link has already been posted, worth a listen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWFq-v7T ... re=related
CHDad
Deputy Grecian

Post by CHDad »

That clip is superb and better than most of the comedy on t.v nowadays - wonderful!
Atticus
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Atticus »

Wow - he is fantastic !

Dd is very keen to try it out, possibly at the start of the Christmas holiday, but if you get Bill Callaghan as the guide... Will he eat a little squit in full housey? (or her mother?)
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I watched all four clips.

An ex-RSM. This guy is brilliant.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
NEILL THE NOTORIOUS
Button Grecian

Certainly the funniest RSM --- ever !

I remember that we had this on before.

Re Humourus RSMs ---- not many !

RSM Smith, Irish Guards, once asked me if I was a virgin ----- slight pause --- "No Sir--- (I lied !) :oops:

"Then get your Bl**dy feet 12 inches apart when you stand at ease !"

It probably wasn't original, but to a group of Recruits it was convulsing !!! :lol:
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Years ago one Saturday we visited the Tower with our two sons, we had cards then that did give us free entry, can't remember what they were but both boys were listed by name. The Yeoman on duty looked sternly at them and said "Which of you is Patrick?" the younger, more mischievous one owned up, to be told "you know we behead all Patricks on a Saturday" He took it well but had he chosen the other name it would have been floods of tears.

I've often wondered why he chose Patrick.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Atticus
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Atticus »

Sorry about dragging up an older thread, but we went, dd and I and another friend from 2nd Form.
They changed into full Housey before catching the tube across London, and were very self conscious at first. The tower was fantastic, and all 3 of us got in for free, had a excellent afternoon exploring, met some old blues, and had a fair few photos taken, including some by some students that are currently staying at the school over the Holidays, who were delighted to meet some 'real' students in uniform.

Would totally recommend it, and hope to go again ! :D
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Atticus wrote:Sorry about dragging up an older thread, but we went, dd and I and another friend from 2nd Form.
They changed into full Housey before catching the tube across London, and were very self conscious at first. The tower was fantastic, and all 3 of us got in for free, had a excellent afternoon exploring, met some old blues, and had a fair few photos taken, including some by some students that are currently staying at the school over the Holidays, who were delighted to meet some 'real' students in uniform.

Would totally recommend it, and hope to go again ! :D

That is SO great to hear. More should do it when in London.

The Tower is a great place to visit, especially if you like some gruesome history. I have just finished reading a book about the more gory side to this historic place. It is STILL listed as an official prison.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

J.R. wrote: The Tower is a great place to visit, especially if you like some gruesome history. I have just finished reading a book about the more gory side to this historic place. It is STILL listed as an official prison.
According to the idiot box the last execution there was in 1941 by firing squad.
IMHO the place and method were too good for an enemy spy; Stroessner's idea of dropping enemies from flying aircraft (no parachutes) seems efficient and makes the point
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!