Absenteeism

Anything that doesn't fit anywhere else, but that's still CH related.

Moderator: Moderators

Alan_O'Neal
2nd Former

Re: Absenteeism

Post by Alan_O'Neal »

Well - I'm sorry if I kicked up a bit of a storm here, by talking about something my uncle told me. He was at Christ's Hospital in the early 1940's. However, he also knew my Father (they were family friends). My Father also went to CH, and it is always possible that my uncle was referring to an incident from when my Father was at CH (late 1920's I think, based on his birthdate being 1915). Unfortunately I never knew my Father, and my uncle has now long left us, so I cannot ask him to verify what he told me when I was really quite young. - Maybe it was a scare story, designed to keep me in order!!!!!
Chrissie Boy
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Chrissie Boy »

Chrissie Boy wrote:Re. the concept of School Beatings, I remember Alan O'Neal (Ma.A/Col.A, 1970s) telling me that when his uncle was at the school (1950s?) there was a big outbreak of thievery amongst the pupils and when the guilty parties were finally identified they were caned in the Quad in front of the entire school.
Sorry Alan, that should of course have read 'Alan O'Neal (Ma.A/Col.B, 1970s)'. What a clumsy mistake on my part.

If your uncle was born in 1928 and attended CH from roughly 1938 to 1946, it seems fair to give his tale the benefit of the doubt until such time as a contemporary of his emerges from the catacombs and debunks it....which I suspect isn't about to happen any time soon, unless someone out there knows of a very old Old Blue who can be prevailed upon to cast his mind back to the dim-and-distant.

But then again, if the episode occurred in your departed father's time, we'll never know for certain unless it was noted in the school records. Perhaps it'll be listed under 'T' for Thrashing.
Last edited by Chrissie Boy on Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alan_O'Neal
2nd Former

Post by Alan_O'Neal »

Hi Chrissie Boy - I feel I should know you, but I just can't place who you are from your username/ picture....?
Chrissie Boy
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Chrissie Boy »

I'm your nextdoor neighbour, Alan. Just glance out of your window and you'll see me waving.
Alan_O'Neal
2nd Former

Post by Alan_O'Neal »

Aha - did we meet up in Manchester many years ago?
Otter
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by Otter »

The original topic and talk of School Sergeant reminds me of the so-called School Marshall we had in the 1990s. I think his name might have been Smith but I could be completely mistaken.

To be honest I'm not sure what his role was except standing outside Dining Hall most of the day, making sure pupils had their bands done up, shirts tucked in and socks pulled up. He also had a black dog with a set of bands on his collar to look like a Housey Coat.

He was very scary and intimidating for the most minor of indiscretions, but a nice friendly guy if you toed the line.
loringa
Deputy Grecian

Post by loringa »

Otter wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:56 am The original topic and talk of School Sergeant reminds me of the so-called School Marshall we had in the 1990s. I think his name might have been Smith but I could be completely mistaken.

To be honest I'm not sure what his role was except standing outside Dining Hall most of the day, making sure pupils had their bands done up, shirts tucked in and socks pulled up. He also had a black dog with a set of bands on his collar to look like a Housey Coat.

He was very scary and intimidating for the most minor of indiscretions, but a nice friendly guy if you toed the line.
A typical retired Sergeant-Major type then, just like the late and much-lamented 'Chief' Bradley referenced elsewhere on this forum. Scary on the outside but heart of gold; in fact, typical of most of the Senior Ranks / Rates I've served with over the years.
graham
Deputy Grecian

Post by graham »

Otter wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:56 am The original topic and talk of School Sergeant reminds me of the so-called School Marshall we had in the 1990s. I think his name might have been Smith but I could be completely mistaken.

I don't remember this one but I do remember Sgt Major Ingram (?) with his square jaw, high-pitched voice, and generally hilarious one-liners that were supposed to shock you in to discipline but inevitably caused you to burst in to laughter (e.g., don't look at me, i'm ugly!). I seem to remember him being appointed school marshall, or something similar, either by Southern when he first arrived or by Poulton just before he left. At that point his duties seemed to mostly involve busting smokers, preventing couples from holding hands, and telling people their shoes were non-regulation.
Graham Slater
Maine B 1990 - 1993, Thorn A 1993 -1997